people talking behind my back at the gym

Options

Replies

• musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would be mortified.
    I would probably go home and binge on cookies, ice cream and cheese.
    I would probably cry and turn beet red.

And after I finished wallowing in self pity, I would go back to the gym, sweat harder, stink more and dare them to say something to me. I would probably hug them while sweaty and wipe my head off on their shirts and dare them to say something to me.
    I would continue to be awesome, lose weight, get smaller, fitter, tighter and flaunt my body in front of them and then
    dare
    them
    to
    say
    something

Sweating and smelling bad after a workout is something that was hard for me to adjust to. I grew up with the idea that women are not supposed to smell bad or sweat. To have someone bring attention to it would be devastating to me. And even though it would bother me a lot, I would have to move past it fast because if I didnt, I would fall into a downward spiral filled with pretzel burgers and ice cream and screaming fits at the rising number on the scale.

If they continue to say things or if you truly feel THAT uncomfortable, report them to the gym for harassment. You really shouldnt have to feel uncomfortable while working out. If you can ignore them, then do that.

Im more confrontational so I wouldnt be able to just keep moving on without saying something.

keep going, youre doing freakin AWESOME!!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'd say what you should tell them but the thread would get locked or I'd be banned. Who gives a toot what others think? I understand your sensitivity and I'd be lying if I said things don't get to me sometimes, but at the end of the day I lay my head on my pillow and sleep just fine with who I am, stinky sweat and all. I pay no mind to the musings of others. The only opinions that matter to me or those that reside in the same 4 walls that I live in. Oh and my boss, because of the whole check signing thing.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First - wait until they give you the shower stuff because free stuff :tongue:

Then next, report it to the gym's manager as harassment.

Last....go about and kick butt as usual...sweaty and with a grin :)

First THIS^^^

Second: Don't feel bad about something that is supposed to happen when you work out and don't feel bad about something just because someone else decides you should. Take pride in that sweat! You EARNED it! It is evidence of the work you are accomplishing. Who cares what a couple of nitwits think.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    They obviously aren't working out hard enough! Just focus on the workout, and your goals! Don't let a bunch of. Catty females discourage you!! Of coarse it wouldn't hurt if while you were working out you look over at them (smile and wink), then continue on!...lol Sometimes that can make people so mad...lol
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well that was rude, but they are probably still living their HS years b/c that was when they were important. Move on woman and push those that try to stop you out of the way! :devil:
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are being petty.....

But I was recently stunk out of my training session by a bloke who stank of everything bad that managed to stink an entire large gym out from top to bottom...My guess is he put his sweaty gear away in a gym bag a time or two and chose to wear the same underwear.

can you post a scratch and sniff and we ll let you know !!!!!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    hm..didn't know the gym was supposed to smell like a perfume counter.

i would shower in the most obnoxious perfume and stink up the room with eu-de-*kitten* you just to prove a point. sweat is normal. smelling like sweat is normal.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hm..didn't know the gym was supposed to smell like a perfume counter.

i would shower in the most obnoxious perfume and stink up the room with eu-de-*kitten* you just to prove a point. sweat is normal. smelling like sweat is normal.

Best. Idea. EVER!!!
    :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Women can be so catty.....and yes I am a woman. Honestly, I would just ignore them. Why should you leave the class because of them, if they don't like it, they know where the door is.

I sweat and smell like a musk ox when I workout and I don't give two sh@ts. I shower after and I'm fine. Everyone is different, some sweat more, some sweat less.

Another reason why I workout at home, don't have to put up with people like that.

Good luck and screw them!!
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Oh boy- this is ridiculous. I understand the seed of doubt it plants, and the way it undermines your confidence, and that is just not okay. I am a really easy sweat and just yesterday my mom told me I needed a shower (I was only half way through having finished strength and was grabbing my music for cardio). I told my mom what I thought of her comment because it was mom so I could- but all the way home that night I kept thinking "do I stink? do others think so? my poor trainer- he's never said I stink..." it was the doubt, creeping in causing me to question myself.
    Don't let that happen- do things to ensure you feel confident so that you can sweat and feel powerful again. (I am going to put a nice mild body lotion on before I throw on my gym clothes just in case- we aren't aloud to wear perfumes at my gym, for solid reasons).
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Grrr unfortunately some people never grow the hell up. Try not to let it get to you & keep pushing forward. You're doing the right thing to get in shape & be healthy. Don't let them sway you from continuing that.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    The audacity of some people is astounding sometimes! A gym is not a place you go to look or smell good! I am a red head so when I work out my face turns neon red lol. I look stupid and I've even had people ask me if I need to sit down. Nope, it's just genetics. I think part of the journey is becoming comfy with who you are, and when people are negative it can set you back. Be fierce! Don't let them win. I know, easier said than done, but find that back bone and tell them that if they wanted to look pretty they should've gone somewhere else. Sounds to me like they think they are helping, which again blows my mind considering any normal person would see how lame this whole situaiton is (on their end not yours). Keep your head up! I'm glad you didn't stop going to the class just becuase they are idiots.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If you don't sweat like crazy during a spin class you're doing it wrong. Forget them, keep killing it.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    Options
    ignore them.. they have no self confidence in themselves so to make themselves feel better they have to make fun of others. i am sure that you are not the only one they make fun of. go back to class with your head held high and do NOT let them win. you be the bigger person.. you are doing awesome in your journey
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    *****es will be *****es. Not much you can do about it. Act like you don't care and they'll hopefully stop being *****es. You're there for the right reasons. Apparently, they are not.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    are those people for real?!?! it's an effing gym and they need to deal with it...and stop being the stereotypical mean girls. you just be yourself and have a don't mess with me attitude. good luck to you!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    First off, please don't make poor eating choices because of the ignorance of others. Do NOT let them have that power over you. Same with the "high school" crowd at the gym. If you take a daily shower, shower after you work out, wear deodorant, wash your work out clothes and you know there's not a medical cause - find a new group to work out with. Maybe during work outs you might use a clinical deodorant/antiperspirant. They are a little more expensive, but worth a shot.

Good for you for working out. Don't let anyone deter you from your goals.

I agree with this!

I also think the girl who told you this MIGHT have had good intentions but I would NOT consider her a friend. She went about this totally in the wrong way. She should not have told you, or she could have said it in a nicer, gentler way with an ounce of TACT. It almost sounds like she was trying to make you feel embarrassed and that kinda ticks me off, even though I don't know you! :-(

I used to work with this woman P who found it necessary to tell me our other coworker, A, did not like fat people and didn't understand how P had so many fat friends at work (clearly referring to me and two other ladies around my same size). A was actually pretty big herself (not that it matters) but anyway, it made me feel really uncomfortable around A. P should not have said a damn word IMO. In that instance, and others, P was a mere "frenemy". Not to be trusted or deeply valued.

People like that are so immature, they are bound to have miserable lives. You just keep on keepin' on and be proud of yourself for working out.
  • amandahousen
    Options
    Do not let them get to you. I know it's harder to do that then it is for me to say it. But seriously we're not in highschool and they can grow up. I'd honestly prolly confront them about it and tell them that it's disrespectful and/or move to another class to get away from them.

People REALLY need to drop the highschool antics.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you were sweating and they weren't you obviously worked harder than them so they can go back to their cabbage soup diet and "exercise" 3 days a week while you continue to beat them every day :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Get a refund and join a different gym. Screw this mean girl bull crap...seems like the gym isn't doing a very good job making an inviting environment for members. She should have layed into those girls for being immature, there's no place for that kind of behavior at a gym.

F YEAH!!

*raises fist in air*

I love this attitude.