people talking behind my back at the gym

Options

Replies

• jantura
    jantura Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After my spin class my t-shirt is soaked, my shorts are sweaty, my face is red, hair dripping, even my fingernails sweat! I take 2 hand towels into class to wipe my face, neck, and arms. Yeah.....lose them bit**es.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    These are grown women acting like this? That is weird behavior for an adult.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    OMG like chicks aren't supposed to like sweat, ew gross like how disgusting

Seriously ignore these girls and just feel secretly smug that you're getting a better workout than them. They sound like the type of girls who go to the gym and never see any result because they're afriad of hard work. Be proud of your sweat, you've earned it!!!

I never get girls like this who are so petty.

Oh and I'm sure you already do this but use a hand towel and make sure you wipe your bike down afte ryou use it.
  • jantura
    jantura Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've even heard people accidently....um...pass gas during spin class. No big deal. We are all adults.
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    They did give me free stuff
  • amyLhuff
    Options
    Girl get your spin on get sweaty and stinky that's what it's about! Challenging yourself my spin instructor won't even turn a fan on for us so that we purge all the junk out, if they look and smell good after a class then they aren't working hard enough!!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Fling some sweat on them... you know, "accidentally".

Best advice yet
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Go to a t-shirt shop where you can get the phrase "If you aren't sweating, you aren't working hard enough!" put on it. Wear it to the gym for spin class as your "workout shirt" and then do your normal shower and clean up stuff so you leave fresh as a daisy. That way you can say "I don't care what you think" without having to say a thing. Good luck. :)
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Threaten them in the parking lot.
  • krschultzauthor
    Options
    As a guy who does the gym regularly... If you ain't sweatin you're doin it wrong. Sweat is sexy.
  • James_TL
    Options
    I was working out at the gym today minding my own business when a lay comes in and asks to speak with me alone. She told me a bunch of the girls in spin class on Tuesday were making fun of me because i sweat a lot and smell like it after my work out. My response was duh!! They then went on to say they bought me a bunch of hygiene stuff. I take showers i can't really help it that i sweat a lot. I don't know am i being to sensitive? She said they were laughing at me as well. I feel like I'm in school again.

I too sweat quite a bit at the gym. I am also overly conscious about how my 'aroma' is after my hard workout over the course of the day. I don't really care what others think though as it is a testament to how difficult the workout is and how intense I am going at losing this weight.

Don't be mindful of how others perceive you. At the end of the time the only person you have to justify your sweat is yourself. Nobody else. If they aren't sweating then they aren't really pushing themselves in my estimation.

No, I don't have the body that I really desire. I have the body I am working on and shaping into being the best it can be over the time I have worked at making it so. Be happy with the loss of weight and the achievements you have accomplished already. Don't pay attention to those who, in their mind, believe it is their place to point out something they dislike.

Does it really matter what they think? It should never bring your opinion of yourself down. EVER.

You've done well already, keep doing so and just ignore them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They did give me free stuff

Oooh! What did you get?
  • TheFinerThings
    Options
    In the small chance that this is a medical issue and not just some people being idiots I'll share an experience I had.

I once supplemented with L-Carnitine and had a new bottle arrive from amazon.com. I didn't realize it at the time but I had ordered a strength 3x stronger than my typical bottle. I was already taking the higher end of the recommended daily intake with the reduced strength so for about 4-5 days I was taking a large amount of this supplement (3x the max daily amount). It turns out with L-Carnitine that if you have an excessive amount that your body cannot break absorb it leads to an excess of a chemical that is the same chemical that makes that offensive smell in fish. I smelled HORRIBLY bad for days, had to work from home and I had to avoid the gym. I don't just mean I smelled bad, I smelled utterly utterly offensive. I subsequently researched this and it is a documented side effect and they know the exact cause etc.

I had to discontinue the L-Carnitine and take some activated charcoal and minted chlorophyll for a few days for the symptoms to subside. I had to discard my bedsheets and the gyms clothes I wore as the smell would not go away no matter how much I washed them.

I thought I'd just share that as there is always a small chance something is up medically or with diet etc. I know I would rather have people politely let me know if I smelled *really* bad than to just let me be. They aren't necessarily just being idiots.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    When we used to do taekwondo we were constantly flinging sweat everywhere! My son slipped and fell on some of mine because I was literally dripping. It was awesome! My husband actually used to use it as part of his sparring strategy, he was so sweating the kids didn't want touch him so they were totally focused on that and he kept scoring on them. lol

Tell them thanks for the free stuff and that you'll be sure to put it on AFTER you're done working out. And since they're so nice you will be sure to sit right next to them! Then skip the deodorant and eat plenty of garlic. If they're going to complain about something you might as well make it worth their time.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You should get a little mad that she said that to you. It was rude, & IF it's true, then that's rude too. So get a little mad & tough minded. I like the idea of getting the shirt that says if you aren't sweating you aren't working out, then I'd position my self as close as possible to the woman during class (or anyone else you think is actually involved...IF there really is anyone involved), preferably directly in front of her (if she moves, then move w/her). Then AFTER class, if you think it's possible, I'd give her a big hug & tell her (like you mean it, but you know it's a lie) how much you appreciate her being so considerate of you & talking to you in private. IF anyone actually does try to give you any hygiene products, I'd completely ignore them, smile big, turn around & walk away. If they leave it somewhere for you, then I'd act like it's not for you, or take it (with a big smile) to the nearest trash can & throw them away, preferably when the "givers" are watching.

YOU are working hard, people who work hard sweat, she was rude to say anything to you & you shouldn't let it get to you at all. I'd be REALLY suspicious that there were actually any other women involved. She probably has some personal hang-up, but thought you'd listen more & not put it on her if she said there were others. THIS WOMAN is the one with the problem. You go in that gym STRONG and SURE of YOURSELF! Do not let the complainers win! If they think they're upsetting you, then they win...DO NOT LET THEM WIN! ;-)
  • glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lol, my wife says she can tell when I'm in the zone, she says I have an F/U face. But it's obvious these immature girls have not and may not leave their high school mentality. If I was in your shoes (and this is just me) I would sit my happy butt right in between and really give them something to complain about, but again just me. You're there to work, you're there to sweat and kick butt. That's another reason I stopped going to the gyms and do my workouts at home. No one to wait on and no one to critique me, not that I cared, remember the F/U face. ; )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    its a gym you are supposed to be busting tail and sweating..

I would tell them to shove the gifts where the sun does not shine..

Next time, before you go in there dump a bunch of water all over you so it looks like you are sweating really bad and give one of them a hug...bahahahahahahaha...
  • rAc_hEl
    Options
    They gave me bath and body work kit. It had a poofy with body scrub shower gel bubble bath body spray bath salts and lotion. At least it isn't a bunch of dollar tree stuff. Idk still a little hurt but I'm going back tomorrow
  • rAc_hEl
    Options
    No I'm not throwing the gifts away. I have a better idea. Return it get the cash or in store credit and get something i like!
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow, some people are so rude! Ugh :noway: Anyways, you're doing a great job. That just shows how much time they're wasting, having nothing better to do than gossip, while you're working your *kitten* off like a beast! You go, girl! :wink: