Could you give up Meat?

Options

Replies

• chezzamanezza
    Options
    it depends if I have to kill the animal to eat. if I had to do that i'd give it up simply because I couldn't hurt an animal

If you feel this way, why do you eat it?

There is a big difference between eating it once already slaughtered, processed and packaged and killing then processing the animal yourself ready to be cooked. Trust me, I am what is called in these parts a converted townie lol
    For 28 years asda provided me with all my meat, now the majority of it lives in a field behind my house, it then disappears and reappears as burgers and steaks.
  • justinhemker
    justinhemker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No. I love bacon too much. However, I do think we're getting close to having reasonably similar plant-based alternatives to meat. Check out this article about 'Beyond Meat' by Food Network's Alton Brown... http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/09/fakemeat/
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    it depends if I have to kill the animal to eat. if I had to do that i'd give it up simply because I couldn't hurt an animal

If you feel this way, why do you eat it?

There is a big difference between eating it once already slaughtered, processed and packaged and killing then processing the animal yourself ready to be cooked. Trust me, I am what is called in these parts a converted townie lol
    For 28 years asda provided me with all my meat, now the majority of it lives in a field behind my house, it then disappears and reappears as burgers and steaks.

I think people manage to detach themselves from reality when it comes to purchasing commercial factory farmed meat...
    lol @ converted townie! Hey, at least you know what you're eating. I bloody hate ASDA :explode:
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    I gave up every meat except fish, don't miss it at all. I couldn't just eat plants though, would miss chocolate too much!

There are plenty of chocolates available that vegans can eat :love:
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Never
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Sorry but what is so good about bacon?........fine everyone jump on me but I just don't get it. It's just bacon. Smoked salted pig, it's not bad at all but it's not amazing either. I'd rather a good grass medium-rare fed steak, now that can be amazing.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Sorry but what is so good about bacon?........fine everyone jump on me but I just don't get it. It's just bacon. Smoked salted pig, it's not bad at all but it's not amazing either. I'd rather a good grass medium-rare fed steak, now that can be amazing.
    '

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks bacon is meh :tongue: I make it for my family and it does nothing for me, I never have any desire to grab a piece. I don't care for the texture or the taste of it.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Just because I didn't kill and slaughter it myself doesn't make me undeserving of it's consumption LOL I'm not detached and neither are my kids. They know what they're eating and they've been known to ask "what did this used to be?" at the dinner table. I'm not ashamed of being an omnivore and I see no reason to hide what we're eating from children. We are eating an animal that someone killed on our behalf, it's not *that* scary. Most cavewomen probably didn't take down their own bison.
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    Just because I didn't kill and slaughter it myself doesn't make me undeserving of it's consumption LOL I'm not detached and neither are my kids. They know what they're eating and they've been known to ask "what did this used to be?" at the dinner table. I'm not ashamed of being an omnivore and I see no reason to hide what we're eating from children. We are eating an animal that someone killed on our behalf, it's not *that* scary. Most cavewomen probably didn't take down their own bison.

Why do you deserve it?
  • VeganLexi
    Options

You will probably dismiss this but it's worth a shot http://youtu.be/qCRspwfKHmI
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Good point Lexi.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Yup! Doing it right now.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hell to the NO
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Could, yes. Would, **** no.
  • NiceSpydr
    NiceSpydr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Could have, did, and didn't really miss it.

I have given up meat several times, for long stretches and commonly eat Vegan. (I have several vegan friends who don't cook, and swear my house has the best vegan food in town.) The concern, which maybe I missed in the great number of posts, is keeping up your nutritional needs while doing so. It can be done, but requires careful monitoring of your intake and exercise to make sure you're feeding your body - especially if you lift, do marathons, etc.

I stopped being a vegetarian because my Doctor continued to express concerns about my iron levels, and even through non-animal means I was not able to get it back into a happy place even with supplements. (It's something I struggle WITH meat in my diet.)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Could I? Probably. Would I? Only if you paid me very well to do so.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Why do you deserve it?

Do you lie awake at night wondering the same about nonhuman omnivores?
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Assuming it was actually for health reasons, yes. Meat (while I only eat fish and chicken) is not important enough to come between living and becoming extremely unhealthy, or dying.

I did go entirely vegetarian for a few months many years ago, and it wasn't miserable. I just missed fish, and eventually chicken.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Go with out BACON? kill me first!