Could you give up Meat?

Options

Replies

• fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Could I? Yes, I could give up meat. But I don't want to. I was raised vegetarian; didn't eat any meat until I was about 12. I've been a total omnivore for my whole adult life. I would never entertain the idea of going vegan, though.

I don't mean to change the subject of this thread but I'm really curious - did you feel bad at all when you began eating meat? I have a few friends who were raised vegetarian also, and one who likes to complain very dramatically that she was robbed of her choice to eat meat, because now she can't, because her body will be shocked. Her body will be shocked one day when I knock some sense into her :laugh:

I don't like persistent moaning, especially when it's stupid, I say incorporate meat slowly and you'll be fine, but she says no. She's about 24 I think
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Not happily.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If I absolutely had to, I'm sure I would be fine but if given a choice, no thanks!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    hell no!,... everyone wants a good steak.

Not really. My husband is a big meat eater, but he doesn't like steak. I realized a while back that I only liked steak because of the A-! sauce I was smothering it in, so now I just throw some A-! sauce on mushrooms and onions :laugh:
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes, I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!!! There is no way in hell I would give up a big, fat, juicy burger. EVER.
  • deedee85
    deedee85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tried but did not work. so no no no
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Could I? Yes, I could give up meat. But I don't want to. I was raised vegetarian; didn't eat any meat until I was about 12. I've been a total omnivore for my whole adult life. I would never entertain the idea of going vegan, though.

I don't mean to change the subject of this thread but I'm really curious - did you feel bad at all when you began eating meat? I have a few friends who were raised vegetarian also, and one who likes to complain very dramatically that she was robbed of her choice to eat meat, because now she can't, because her body will be shocked. Her body will be shocked one day when I knock some sense into her :laugh:

I don't like persistent moaning, especially when it's stupid, I say incorporate meat slowly and you'll be fine, but she says no. She's about 24 I think

You mean feel bad physically? No. I think the first meat I ever ate was a pretty rare hamburger at a friend's house. Then after that I would have a hotdog or some kind of meat here and there, usually at a friend's house, since my family was still veg. I didn't expect my parents prepare meat for me at home or even pay for it at a restaurant. Even now I usually order something vegetarian if I'm out with my dad, regardless of who's paying for it. Up until about age 12 I had had NO meat, no chicken, no fish ever before then. I seem to have a pretty tough digestive system, but I've know other people who were vegetarians for several years and then when back to eating meat with no bad physical effects.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes, I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!!! There is no way in hell I would give up a big, fat, juicy burger. EVER.

Not even after a heart attack?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    H3LL NO!!!!!!!!!!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    No way...that's why we have some of the teeth we do and not teeth like horses/cows. Plus I love very rare bloody meat...it's soooo gooood!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I already did that! After 2 years of it I sorta looked like a corpse. Skinny, grey, UGLY...so NO, wouldn't do that again. A large chunk of my daily calories go to fruit and veg, but I will ALWAYS hit 120 to 150 grams of animal protien a day...otherwise I feel like I am starving!!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes, because that's what I'm doing now :-).
    Giving up meat was easy. Giving up dairy was a bit harder, but I did it and everything is better. My system is working better, my seasonal allergies are like night and day better. I'm trying so many new foods (many of which I didn't even know existed), I've had some of the best dining experiences in restaurants - basically I'm super happy with my decision to go 100% plant based.

There have been many new things in my life lately that I had previously said "never" to. I've learned a lot - most importantly, I've learned how limiting saying "never" is.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I already did that! After 2 years of it I sorta looked like a corpse. Skinny, grey, UGLY...so NO, wouldn't do that again. A large chunk of my daily calories go to fruit and veg, but I will ALWAYS hit 120 to 150 grams of animal protien a day...otherwise I feel like I am starving!!

What the hell did you eat for 2 years for it to do that to you? :laugh:
  • ktsimons
    Options
    Absolutely and Unequivocally the answer would be a Responding NO!!!!! :noway:

^^^^^
    THIS

I LOVE CHEESE WAY TOO MUCH! ...

I don't eat much meat (maybe a few times a month if that), but give it up for the rest of my life ... Um, NO!

And, oils? ... NOPE ... I Love olive oil way too much, and my new favorite is toasted walnut oil ... It makes a super delicious dressing when mixed with balsamic ...
    yum on the walnut oil and balsamic mix...
  • ktsimons
    Options

What the hell did you eat for 2 years for it to do that to you? :laugh:

Turns out I am allergic to wheat and soy.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 25 years, so, yes. My problem is that I keep trying to go vegan, and failing. I feel better if I eat some eggs, I just plain like dairy, and being vegan successfully takes more planning. The trouble is, I think about the factory farming and feel bad.

I think my next option is to give up cow dairy. I did that for about 6 months, and kept eating goat, sheep and buffalo cheese. I figured goats and the like are probably treated a bit better than dairy cows, just because it's not such a mammoth industry. But I fell off the wagon. Again.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

Yikes I don't think that was due to just being a vegetarian, sounds like it wasn't about the meat. Maybe you weren't getting the right nutrients as a veggie.

adding it, okay so it was a soy and wheat allergy? haven't heard of those as allergic reactions for others allergic to soy and wheat (most people with wheat allergies get bloated). Interesting that was your reaction. Anywho so it wasn't about being a vegetarian at all. It was about your allergy, you should have clarified that so people won't think you are saying it was the vegetarian diet that did it to you, when in actuality you meant it was your allergy to soy and wheat which doesn't have to be a part of a vegetarian diet.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I went Pesci for a about a year and half. Now I wouldn't be able to because no grains, no gluten, no dairy for me.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 30 years - I gave up meat and fish when a student in the '80s.

I started eating fish again about 3 years ago, and meat soon followed. I remember feeling incredible cravings to eat meat - never had that all those years, just suddenly about 3 or 4 years ago it hit me! I wonder if I was a bit anæmic? I remember one Christmas in the city centre watching the switching on of the lights, and there was a German market, and loads of stalls selling slabs of pork and beef and I just had such overwhelming cravings to have some! It wasn't till a year or so later that we went to Germany visiting friends, and the wife of one of them said "you don't eat meat do you - but fish is okay isn't it?" And I felt too embarrassed to explain, so we ate a salmon lasagne. And then when we got home we carried on eating fish. And my job involved lots of multicultural events and there was always loads of wonderful food from all over the world, and I started to not bother about what I was eating, if it was meat never mind. So the slide began. Now we eat meat although mostly chicken and sausages and bacon, my hubby's not too fussed about lamb and beef.

We still eat a lot of veggie food, but I don't think I'll ever go back to it full time.
  • p2smommy
    Options
    tumblr_mb4p56YgHZ1rfja63o1_500.gif

ROFL!