Could you give up Meat?

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for most of my life, but I think that becoming 100% vegan would be difficult.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously.
    I actually tried to. In fact, even now, I eat only about 3-6 ounces of meat in a month. I find that if I go without meat long enough, I develop a deep craving for it. I get plenty of protein without meat, but there must be something that I'm missing when I go without. I know this is not true of everyone, since there are a lot of vegans and vegetarians. A little meat goes a long way with me, but I do need a little.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yes. i did. over 25 yrs ago.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I could, if i knew exactly how to get enough protein and other stuff from something, that tastes good. But im too used to regular bodybuilding diet. In parts of day when i dont eat meat, i use whey.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

Yes. I already eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet (I now eat meat/dairy a couple times a week). I did a full whole foods, plant based diet for a while and enjoyed it, but after researching the heck out of it, I don't think a totally meat/dairy free diet is optimal for good health and that's why I added back in small amounts of animal products again. But, I don't particularly enjoy eating them. As for oils there's some controversy about added ones in the whole foods, plant based eating community. Some of the doctors who are at the forefront of this way of eating recommend totally eliminating them, while others recommend limiting them to small amounts. I personally do not add extra oils to my foods.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

Of course :smile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Haha hell no!
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I love chicken I don't care how it's cooked, but other then that I dont really dont like meat while my stomach doesn't.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I never was much of a meat eater to begin with so switching to 100% vegan to me was really no big deal. I think in order to enjoy being a vegetarian is to be a bit more creative in the kitchen... After drinking nothing but water & going vegan I dropped over 30 pounds, my cholesterol dropped to 148. Now when I smell someone cooking meat outside it has a "heavy greasy" feel to it. Nope, I dont miss meat at all....

Same here, makes me nauseous.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I can do anything if I put my mind to it, but why on Earth would I want to give up meat?
  • MacMomma2013
    MacMomma2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nope! Not a chance in H-E-doublehockeysticks!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Oh hell no
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that one should know where their beef comes from...I buy only 100% grassfed beef. I know where it is from, how it was raised.

I stopped buying grainfed meat years ago & had a noticeable improvement in my health. But, that is another reflection on plant-based diets not being healthy for me. So why would I go there?

did you go to the farm where they raised it? Do you know they really fed it grass..?

Yes. I've eaten beef from cows I've watched in the pasture.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In defense of the starch based diet - I believe that it is the secret to longetivity, and it cures cardiovascular problems caused by cholesterol, added hormones, bovine viruses, ingestion of antibiotics, other food additives and so on.

I did this diet for eight months because I saw the proof. It also means that you lose weight naturally and if you are ill with and diabetes or cardiovascular ailments it is the only way to cure you without surgery. So please do not be against this. You may need it some day before long especially if you are consuming the rich western diet. There is lots of evidence out there so do not take my word for it - but do not try and bring it down because it is proven

Yah no to this...

And as for the giving up meat...a resounding no...no no no and just to reiterate :noway: :noway: :noway:

I have even been able to convince my carb *kitten* husband that marbling is good in steak....:drinker: where as before we got married he refused to eat any steak with any "white stuff" in it...
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love steak. And cheese. And steak and cheese together? Heaven on a bun.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nope - I did it for three years, and it had dire health consequences for me.

I ate a very healthy vegetarian diet, but after feeling very ill for a very long time, and many trips to a wide variety of doctors, I learned that I am allergic to soy, most nuts and for some unknown reason, my body is metabolically unable to absorb iron from plant sources/supplementation. On heme-based iron is absorbs in my system.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that one should know where their beef comes from...I buy only 100% grassfed beef. I know where it is from, how it was raised.

I stopped buying grainfed meat years ago & had a noticeable improvement in my health. But, that is another reflection on plant-based diets not being healthy for me. So why would I go there?

did you go to the farm where they raised it? Do you know they really fed it grass..?

Yes. I've eaten beef from cows I've watched in the pasture.

I could do this too. We have a "group" that live outside of town that sell beef, chicken and pork products that are raised without "stuff"...but no guarantees on what is shot into them while they are in the barn....along with another group of menonites that sell grass fed animals.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yup...Been about 28 years, and before that even as a kid, never really liked it. Just,not red meat and pork, I eat fish, chicken. No vegan or other reasons, Just never appealed to me;-)
  • readytocommit114
    Options
    I eat a vegan diet except for eggs from my chickens.
    It's not hard when it's what you believe in.
    People who say I couldn't be vegan because of cheese etc dont believe in being vegan for health/animal welfare., because if they did they'd be able todo it
  • megplatt2413
    Options
    Yes. Was Vegan for 2 years. Felt the best I've ever felt in my life!