Could you give up Meat?

Options

Replies

• Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I shudder at the thought of never having meat in my mouth again.

no thanks

I'm a meat lover for life!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why anyone would give up steak, bacon, chicken, etc, I will never know, nor wish to understand...
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Could I? Probably. Would I willingly? Nope.
  • SarahRosewriter
    Options
    I don't think I could go vegan. However, since moving in with my boyfriend, who is vegetarian, I eat vegetarian at home (my choice--he's fine with whatever I want). I eat more shrimp than meat when we eat out, but will eat whatever sounds good (and reasonably healthy). I have found I enjoy eating vegetarian at home--no dealing with greasy meats, wondering "is this chicken still good??", etc. I can't imagine never eating seafood again, though. You don't have to eat meat to be an athlete, however. My friend, Tim Van Orden, the Running Raw Guy, eats nothing but a raw vegan diet and is an award-winning extreme athlete--at the age of 44! For inspiration, check him out on runningraw.com. He's amazing.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I shudder at the thought of never having meat in my mouth again.

no thanks

I'm a meat lover for life!

:heart:
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    7 months ago I started getting bad chest pains even when just sitting stationary. Managing more than a moderate walk for a few minutes was impossible. I knew that sooner, rather than later, my lifestyle would kill me.

I went vegan. Today I've lost just under 120 pounds, the chest pains are distant history and I am pursuing athletic goals today that I wouldn't have dreamed of only a few months ago. I couldn't ever imagine living the old lifestyle again.

I'm not saying that my path is the only one to healthful living, but those of you that are saying such a strong no, that strikes me as odd. I loved meat and dairy as much as anyone. Nearly all of my food choices were made only to satisfy a craving. You could do it if you wanted to. How can you say no if you haven't even tried it? Have you ever even considered what foods you would be eating?

Meat by itself generally isn't what makes the meal anyway, at least it wasn't for me, as someone who was never big on steak. I still regularly eat burgers and fries, and they're still just as delicious, just with less saturated fat, calories and no cholesterol. For me it's all about the seasonings and sauces, meat provided texture more than anything.
  • tnevy4
    Options
    I really think I could. I am in fact trying it right now, and it does not seem that bad. All the products available today make it that much easier.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    7 months ago I started getting bad chest pains even when just sitting stationary. Managing more than a moderate walk for a few minutes was impossible. I knew that sooner, rather than later, my lifestyle would kill me.

I went vegan. Today I've lost just under 120 pounds, the chest pains are distant history and I am pursuing athletic goals today that I wouldn't have dreamed of only a few months ago. I couldn't ever imagine living the old lifestyle again.

I'm not saying that my path is the only one to healthful living, but those of you that are saying such a strong no, that strikes me as odd. I loved meat and dairy as much as anyone. Nearly all of my food choices were made only to satisfy a craving. You could do it if you wanted to. How can you say no if you haven't even tried it? Have you ever even considered what foods you would be eating?

Meat by itself generally isn't what makes the meal anyway, at least it wasn't for me, as someone who was never big on steak. I still regularly eat burgers and fries, and they're still just as delicious, just with less saturated fat, calories and no cholesterol. For me it's all about the seasonings and sauces, meat provided texture more than anything.

you went vegan but you still eat burgers?
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    No
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nope. And I like vegetables and tofu. I also happily eat out at vegetarian and vegan restaurants on occasion when veggie friends requests such meals. But what I love to eat is meat. Preferably red, and rare.
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure he was talking about vegan burgers.. which are yummy! lol and no cholesterol.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    No. I am allergic to soy beans and some other veggies, including the dark green leafy ones. (I can eat cooked spinach or kale, but never raw and not often) I also have celiac disease so the common whole grains are out for me.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I could do without meat, but not without dairy or oils.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

lol...no way would I sabotage my health by doing that. But I could easily give up plant foods for the rest of my life. They are non-essential. Fats & proteins I need.

BTW, I do not eat dairy.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh hell no, not at all, nope, never, not happening, nein, nyet, and once more for emphasis, NO!

Also, bacon. Because bacon answers all.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You could do it if you wanted to. How can you say no if you haven't even tried it? Have you ever even considered what foods you would be eating?

On a few occasions, I've tried to have at least a few no-meat days, and have just always felt worse.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I gave it up over a year a go, and more recently gave up all other animal products. I don't see myself ever going back. It was a decision of ethics, so I won't argue the health concerns.

It's much easier to do that I thought it would be - and I eat 4,000 healthy calories a day.

No judgement on anyone else, but I just got to a point where I could not longer identify as someone who cares about animals while continuing to support an industry that I personally feel allows crazy levels of cruelty throughout their entire lives. For me, it wasn't a question of whether or not it is wrong to eat an animal, but about what happens to those animals before they are killed. Then, eventually, I made the very-personal decision that it would be wrong for ME to eat even responsibly farmed animal products.

I really wish there had been more eduction when I was younger about where our food actually comes from.

To my friends on here eating their hamburgers, enjoy one for me but maybe take a little time to research where your meat comes from - responsibly raised meat tastes better, is better for you, and better for the environment in general. :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

Yes I gave up in 1989 along with chicken and have never looked back. Do I miss it know, do I eat substitute to compensate for meat no.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Never, cows would begin to rule the world.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure he was talking about vegan burgers.. which are yummy! lol and no cholesterol.
    because dietary cholesterol plays such a huge role on your serum cholesterol