Could you give up Meat?

Options

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I gave it up over a year a go, and more recently gave up all other animal products. I don't see myself ever going back. It was a decision of ethics, so I won't argue the health concerns.

It's much easier to do that I thought it would be - and I eat 4,000 healthy calories a day.

No judgement on anyone else, but I just got to a point where I could not longer identify as someone who cares about animals while continuing to support an industry that I personally feel allows crazy levels of cruelty throughout their entire lives. For me, it wasn't a question of whether or not it is wrong to eat an animal, but about what happens to those animals before they are killed. Then, eventually, I made the very-personal decision that it would be wrong for ME to eat even responsibly farmed animal products.

I really wish there had been more eduction when I was younger about where our food actually comes from.

To my friends on here eating their hamburgers, enjoy one for me but maybe take a little time to research where your meat comes from - responsibly raised meat tastes better, is better for you, and better for the environment in general. :)

I stopped eating meat in 1990 (I was 9), it was due to an educational video shown in school.
    I'm grateful to my school for providing options for me and others at such a young age.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just because I didn't kill and slaughter it myself doesn't make me undeserving of it's consumption LOL I'm not detached and neither are my kids. They know what they're eating and they've been known to ask "what did this used to be?" at the dinner table. I'm not ashamed of being an omnivore and I see no reason to hide what we're eating from children. We are eating an animal that someone killed on our behalf, it's not *that* scary. Most cavewomen probably didn't take down their own bison.

Why do you deserve it?

Because SOMEONE killed it and I"m an omnivore. YOU are the anomaly. Human beings are omnivores. If for philosophical reasons you choose to be a vegan, that's none of my business but you were born to eat meat.

I disagree with you 100%
    In my humble opinion, there's absolutely no need to eat meat, however, each to their own. Arguing with strangers on the Internet is pretty pointless...you put whatever you like inside your body and I shall do the same.

Your opinion doesn't strike me as humble. And if arguing with someone on the internet is pointless, why are you doing it? Criticizing someone else for it to draw attention away from yourself?

But she's right. Vegan is the anomaly. Humans are omnivores, and you made a choice to eat only plant material, but your body is still built like an omnivore. That's biology.

It REALLY doesn't matter if there is a NEED to eat meat. There is no need of lots of things we do--not everything needs to fill a need.

My experience of vegans is it's a choice people make when they feel a need for a made-up way to feel superior to others.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no issue with people that eat meat, but it depends on where they are getting the meat from.
    The commercial factory farming of animals is ****ing up the planet, unregulated, corrupt and incredibly cruel.
    I just wish that the eaters of commercially factory farmed produce would take a moment to understand what is happening and perhaps make a more informed choice regarding the origin of their food.

You seem to assume we're not aware. I am well aware of the source of the meat and you're right, some high volume factory farming is highly destructive to the surrounding area... and so is farming of vegetables, pesticides and herbicides do as much or more damage... think on this for a moment, a cow, it's going to eat whatever you toss in the chop and bales of hay... but do you think a consumer is going to eat a wonky shaped, ugly, piece of tomato? yeah... not so much... so they do what they must to make them nearly perfect. You're also not correct in it being unregulated, the meat industry is HIGHLY regulated... and at the mass production level they tend to do the bare minimum necessary to meet those regulations.... just like all corporations. Corruption is largely a issue when you get past the personal accountability level... do you think any business is less corrupt? They exist only to make profit... and if they can cut corners to make more profit they do 9/10 times. That is true of both meat and other types of food production and most companies you will ever deal with in life period. I would also put out there: while some factory farming is cruel, most local farmers are not. If you care, buy meat from them... but even otherwise, a lot of the shock videos and such are just that. Tools for propaganda and that comes from both sides, but in many cases those practices are no longer in place and they're still using the same videos 10 years later after the issue has been remedied. I've seen every fish in our several acre pond die from the run off from one of our neighbors farm fields... let me tell you, i was biting at the bit to eat what he grew anywhere on his farm after that. I am perfectly informed in my choices regarding my consumption of meat and I choose to eat it and buy it from stores that likely stock from factory farms when I don't have excess money to purchase it locally or availability is low. *shrug* Scavenge away! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    I gave it up over a year a go, and more recently gave up all other animal products. I don't see myself ever going back. It was a decision of ethics, so I won't argue the health concerns.

It's much easier to do that I thought it would be - and I eat 4,000 healthy calories a day.

No judgement on anyone else, but I just got to a point where I could not longer identify as someone who cares about animals while continuing to support an industry that I personally feel allows crazy levels of cruelty throughout their entire lives. For me, it wasn't a question of whether or not it is wrong to eat an animal, but about what happens to those animals before they are killed. Then, eventually, I made the very-personal decision that it would be wrong for ME to eat even responsibly farmed animal products.

I really wish there had been more eduction when I was younger about where our food actually comes from.

To my friends on here eating their hamburgers, enjoy one for me but maybe take a little time to research where your meat comes from - responsibly raised meat tastes better, is better for you, and better for the environment in general. :)

I stopped eating meat in 1990 (I was 9), it was due to an educational video shown in school.
    I'm grateful to my school for providing options for me and others at such a young age.
    That explains a lot.
  • VeganLexi
    Options

That explains a lot.

Oh do elaborate...I could do with some entertainment.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

YES you can. Millions of people around the world have and many millions more have never ever had a diet based on animal substance.

It's up to you if you wish to do so

( P.s...I'm one of the many millions who have never ever relied on dead animals for my survival)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

YES you can. Millions of people around the world have and many millions more have never ever had a diet based on animal substance.

( P.s...I'm one of the many millions who have never ever relied on dead animals for my survival)

Those imbeciles who believe that human beings were born to eat meat are probably the same ones who believe it''s impossible to run 100 miles based entirely on a vegan diet.

meat is not necessary for survival, and neither is smoking,gambling,taking crack cocaine or drinking...but to those people, it's the most natural thing they do every single day, and can't imagine a life without it.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could run 100 miles if I snorted unicorn dust lol. edited to remove rudeness at typical vegan bu11****.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Those imbeciles who believe that human beings were born to eat meat are probably the same ones who believe it''s impossible to run 100 miles based entirely on a vegan diet.

meat is not necessary for survival, and neither is smoking,gambling,taking crack cocaine or drinking...but to those people, it's the most natural thing they do every single day, and can't imagine a life without it.

Wow. You sound angry. You may want to get some counseling for that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes, I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!!! There is no way in hell I would give up a big, fat, juicy burger. EVER.

Not even after a heart attack?

a burger once in a while is going to give you a heart attack..really?
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    Meh.
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    As the saying goes, I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!!! There is no way in hell I would give up a big, fat, juicy burger. EVER.

No it isn't, nobody said that did they? Jesus...
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    NO NO NOOOOOOO!!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lol no
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I gave up meat for 3 and 1/2 years. Then I felt like my experiment was over. Could I do it again and for longer? Yes. There are many very good reasons to move towards less meat in one's diet so I won't repeat them. However, right now I'm not focused moving in that direction :smile:
  • Bergiere
    Bergiere Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Though I'm currently not eating beef during the month of September, I'm too much of a carnivore to forgo meat all together. I'm genuinely surprised that I actually lasted out the month, one day to go, and didn't end up rampaging through the local grocery meat department. :happy:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Whose meat?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you 100%
    In my humble opinion, there's absolutely no need to eat meat, however, each to their own. Arguing with strangers on the Internet is pretty pointless...you put whatever you like inside your body and I shall do the same.

Humans *are* omnivores, this is nothing to do with choice, this is form and function. We're built to eat meat, veggies, and scavenge what else we can.

We lack acid levels of true carnivores, but we're far more acidic than herbivores, we lack the extra digestive organs and extra intestinal length of herbivores, without the additional meat in our evolutionary tract we would have never developed the large brains we have today.

As cognitive beings with a wide range of access to a wide variety of food sources, we can *CHOOSE* to eat meat and it isn't a burden on us these days to do so, but that doesn't change what we, as a species, are built to eat.

Just remember, any problem facing humanity that can be solved by being vegan can also be solved by being a cannibal.

Edit: For what it's worth, I grew up on a cattle farm (beef, not dairy). I hunted, fished, and trapped animals for eating purposes. I have butchered and eaten just about every animal, fish, and bird that runs, swims, and flies and can be eaten in this part of the world ~personally~ at some point or another (and some insects.) We are part of the natural world and being part of it means being part of the natural cycle of things of things means honoring them not setting yourself apart from it entirely and denying our place in it outright. Purchasing meat or vegetables is largely no different than scavenging and something most omnivores do. Very few people vegan or otherwise are responsible for the entirety of their food sources these days. You can choose to do those things and there is nothing wrong with that, but that is strictly a choice you're making for yourself for your own reasons and it is no more ethically or morally superior to anyone's alternative choice.

I like you. And not just because you brought up cannibalism...
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    people seem to forget about proper amino acid profiles that are optimal for recovery, bone density, etc.

On top of that b12 to prevent neurological defects, creatine is currently being investigated as a form of prevention as well.

btw without b12, higher risk that your babies with neurological problems
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

No it isn't, nobody said that did they? Jesus...

Then why reference the heart attack? Seems like an attempt at a scare tactic to me.