Replies

• Still1Workoutatatime
    Options
    I've done it periodically
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOO!

I need my protein, I love my protein and plant based meals do not provide enough for me, and they are loaded with carbs. I don't do well with lot of carbs.

Having said that, I don't eat much red meat anymore ( or bacon, or lamb, or pork), but yes to chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and dairy.

Greens actually have quite a bit of protein and you can meet your daily needs if you eat properly

Lunch today:
    Mixed greens with spinach and kale (3 cups); carbs= 15; protein= 6
    Grilled mahi-mahi (4 oz): carbs =0; protein = 20
    Do the math...

just saying you can get enough protien
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    why do people hate on red meat?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't eat meat for a while after high school. My roommate was a militant vegan and would whine endlessly about animal products/byproducts. I gave up meat, but put my foot down over diary and such. That went on for a little over a year.

And then I joined the military and began eating meat at every meal to make up for all the time I'd lost.

I'll let you guess which lifestyle I prefer.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I could definitely give up meat and fish - done that in the past and kept it up for years. I could also give up other animal-based foods but it would (for me!) take the fun out of eating. A vegan diet isn't something I would enjoy.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No, I couldn't, although I've done short periods from time to time. It's not a problem with getting nutrients that is the problem for me, it's a case of vegetarian foods, for me at least, just don't have the "bite" and "chewiness" that I love from meat and fish.

I prefer to call myself an Omnivore - I'll eat pretty much anything!:happy:
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For those that want to lose some weight and take care of their health....here ya go,,,

http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/10/07/news-for-meatless-monday-vegetarians-are-skinnier/
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes, I sure could! I should challenge myself..hmmmmm
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    No. I eat more pork, chicken, turkey, and fish than anything. I have a big steak or a roast once or twice every 3 or 4 months.

The only time I have a lot of bacon and breakfast sausage is once every six months on vacation (sometimes I'll have it with breakfast if we go out but I'm talking on a daily basis).

I like meat. Unless there was some medical reason why I needed to give it up, like if I didn't I was going to drop dead in a week, then I would but until then no way Jose!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I gave up meat a year ago and don't miss it at all, i feel great. But vegan? No i dont think i could give up cheese.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Meat, yes. But not butter or cheese. I love meat, meat does not love me or my digestive system (IBD). If I do eat meat I get pretty sick and lots of pain, it's a pretty good incentive to give it up, and it's bern ordered by my doctor that I don't eat it. But I miss it.....I watched everyone eat bacon Christmas morning and turkey for dinner that night. It sucked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would never have any desire to do such a thing...
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I COULD... as in I wouldn't die... but I never would give up meat by choice. I'm not a fan of beef, but deer, chicken, turkey, fish, ham and elk... oh my! I absolutely wouldn't.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've actually been thinking of switching to a vegan/plant-based diet. I've read about a lot of health benefits associated with it and I would also be doing it for ethical reasons. I feel like it'd be pretty easy for me to do at home, but it'd be challenging when I'm at a restaurant or someone else's house, especially since sometimes the healthiest option isn't vegan. Right now, I eat a below-average amount of meat and, when it's in my control, only choose those that are humanely raised. Also, I can't have dairy, so I wouldn't be giving up much by going vegan instead of vegetarian, except eggs, which I love!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Completely for the rest of your life And go to a whole foods plant based diet? Which means no meat dairy oils etc. could you? Seriously

I could, would and will if the ability to get locally raised, free range meats are ever gone and taken away from me.

I will never eat factory farmed meat ever again.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    No. There's a reason humans are classified as omnivores and not herbivores. I prefer grass fed meat, free range poultry and wild caught fish instead of mass produced and farmed meat.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Not a chance in hell I'd ever give up meat.
    Right now my freezer has about 160lbs of prime grain fed longhorn beef in it!
    I get it from a friend who raises it and he pens the critter up 100 days before going to the butcher and feeds a precise mix of corn and grain. Once it's ready and processed it has less than 5% fat in it!
    After reading this thread I think I'll pull a steak out for tonight!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No. Vegetarianism is just overrated