doing it "right" getting nowhere

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    you guys are hilarious. someone comes on for support and you do nothing but try to tear them to shreds.

Oh, support? I thought you wanted advice. I thought you wanted to understand what you were doing wrong.

You want support instead? OK.

You are doing everything right, honey. The world is conspiring against you and your genes and the universe and gluten and food addiction all have it in for you. You keep trying, dear. You're doing fine, even though you're failing miserably at your goals. Just keep doing what you're doing, because you're awesome and pretty and perfect and important.

If you decide you actually want to progress and achieve your goals, then we can talk, but you might not like what you hear because it will involve you changing something and admitting to yourself that you might not be comfortable hearing.
  • SweetMae1
    SweetMae1 Posts: 53 Member
    For the record, I knock off about 60% of MFP calculations because they aren't only high for me, they are ridiculously high.

interesting. thanks!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    you guys are hilarious. someone comes on for support and you do nothing but try to tear them to shreds.

You come on for support, give only half the relevant information, argue with everyone who offers advice, and THEN we find out you haven't been logging your food consistently. How on earth did you really expect this to turn out?
  • SweetMae1

Oh, support? I thought you wanted advice. I thought you wanted to understand what you were doing wrong.

You are doing everything right, honey. The world is conspiring against you and your genes and the universe and gluten and food addiction all have it in for you. You keep trying, dear. You're doing fine, even though you're failing miserably at your goals. Just keep doing what you're doing, because you're awesome and pretty and perfect and important.

If you decide you actually want to progress and achieve your goals, then we can talk, but you might not like what you hear because it will involve you changing something and admitting to yourself that you might not be comfortable hearing.

other than eating more, what do you suggest i change?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    for those saying i jsut want to hear what i want to hear, i really think my original question is do y'all think i should eat back my exercise calories (a resounding YES! i get it! ;-)) and how long before i should see if that is working?

If you are going to be eating back your exercise calores, you need to be honest with yourself that you are overestimating your burns.

i understand that you think i am. i am telling you that i am not new to exercise or fitness and i know that if anything they are underestimated. i take 1-200 off every MFP calculation and even off JIllian Michaels calc.

But wait, I thought you were using a HRM to calculate your burns?!
  • SweetMae1

You come on for support, give only half the relevant information, argue with everyone who offers advice, and THEN we find out you haven't been logging your food consistently. How on earth did you really expect this to turn out?

i explained why i jsut started logging. because i get very ocd about controlling the food. because if i'm not careful anorexia is an issue. there. laid bare. happy now?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I would say that your calorie estimates are high. HRM are still just estimations. Mine says that i burn really high also, but i KNOW i'm not burning over 600 cals/hr during Zumba. I would adjust your activity levels on MFP to ACTIVE and eat what that says regardless of how much you workout. If you want to log your exercises, put them in for 1 calorie rather than what your HRM says.

that is gonna tell me to eat 1260-or 1760 if i add 500 for nursing. i've been doing that for months.

i have it set to lose 2. that's nonnegotiable
    how much do you have it set for losing a week?

you know when you set your goals, and it said... Lose 1 lb a week (Recommended) you should go with that. Since you have already lost 25 lbs of your 57lb goal, you should not be aiming for any more than that

ETA: If you switch it to 1 lb a week, it will probably give you 1370 + exercise calories. If you switch it to active, it would probably give you around 1600-1700, then you add you 500 for the fact that you are breastfeeding, then stop eating back your exercise calories.
  • jonnythan

Log consistently over time. A week, week and a half of logging is not enough data. Log your food accurately using a food scale, enter calorie burns in a reasonable manner (yours look much, much higher than reasonable), and hit your goal consistently.
  • SweetMae1
    for those saying i jsut want to hear what i want to hear, i really think my original question is do y'all think i should eat back my exercise calories (a resounding YES! i get it! ;-)) and how long before i should see if that is working?

If you are going to be eating back your exercise calores, you need to be honest with yourself that you are overestimating your burns.

i am. and that HRM is estimating below MFP and JM
    i understand that you think i am. i am telling you that i am not new to exercise or fitness and i know that if anything they are underestimated. i take 1-200 off every MFP calculation and even off JIllian Michaels calc.

But wait, I thought you were using a HRM to calculate your burns?!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member

wrong. people are just shedding light on how you happen to be doing it maybe "not so right".

you preach about how perfectly youre doing this, then it comes out that you dont log consistently, and then that you estimate your intake because you "generally know".

no one is being mean. stop being sensitive, start logging EVERYTHING you eat and drink.

believe it or not, the people being "mean" are hands-down the most helpful people on these boards (i'm not including myself in that, because im not very helpful and am just here for the lulz).

good luck in your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan

i explained why i jsut started logging. because i get very ocd about controlling the food. because if i'm not careful anorexia is an issue. there. laid bare. happy now?

People are upset because you said that you've been eating a certain amount for 6 weeks with no change in weight. Reality is you have no idea what you've been eating. You've only been logging for a quarter that amount of time. You ran the thread for several pages arguing with people trying to help you with good advice and it turned out you basically lied from the very beginning.

If that were me, I'd apologize.
  • rowrunyoga
    rowrunyoga Posts: 65 Member
    i guarantee my food logging and HRM are right on.

Right.

Open your diary. We'll see about that.

okie! let's go!

1.5 weeks worth of food logged.

Log consistently.

/thread

BOOM.

boom1.jpg

This started my weekend off right.
    (with a bang, you could say!)

Thank you!
    :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    As has been mentioned, you are not logging your food. You logged 14 days out of the last month - and 2 of the 14 days are quick adds with a lot of other quick adds in the days where some meals are logged. Plus, you have a lot of generic adds - unless you are using the recipe builder, you cannot know these are at all accurate. Do you weigh your food?

Ignore all the 'you are not eating enough'. Until you log accurately, you do not know how much you are eating.

Pick a reasonable caloric intake, log accurately (which also means weighing your food when possible), assess for a while, and tweak accordingly.
  • SweetMae1

Log consistently over time. A week, week and a half of logging is not enough data. Log your food accurately using a food scale, enter calorie burns in a reasonable manner (yours look much, much higher than reasonable), and hit your goal consistently.

have you taken a spin class at a sustained 160-180bpm? done the JMBR workouts at 150-175 bpm sustained? as a 180 pound woman? i'm fairly confident in my burns. i will give the logging more time, because i do want to see if eating more helps.
  • jonnythan
    i'm fairly confident in my burns. i will give the logging more time, because i do want to see if eating more helps.

OK. If you log accurately, weighing your food, for a month and don't lose as much as you expect, then the first place you should look is those calorie burns.
  • SweetMae1

i

People are upset because you said that you've been eating a certain amount for 6 weeks with no change in weight. Reality is you have no idea what you've been eating. You've only been logging for a quarter that amount of time. You ran the thread for several pages arguing with people trying to help you with good advice and it turned out you basically lied from the very beginning.

i've not lied. just because i didn't type it into an app doesnt mean it's not true, hell, typing it into an app doesnt make it true. i'm not asking you to evaluate that, only answer from the facts i;ve given you.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    i guarantee my food logging and HRM are right on.

Right.

Open your diary. We'll see about that.

okie! let's go!

1.5 weeks worth of food logged.

Log consistently.

/thread

BOOM.

boom1.jpg

Well, I said fireworks, but this will suffice. :-D
  • SweetMae1
    i'm fairly confident in my burns. i will give the logging more time, because i do want to see if eating more helps.

OK. If you log accurately, weighing your food, for a month and don't lose as much as you expect, then the first place you should look is those calorie burns.

agreed. and the fact i'm breastfeeding, which is sadly probably the culprit as it has been for many. i don;t want to take that from my daughter early, but i'm so sick of feeling fat.
  • jonnythan
    only answer from the facts i;ve given you.

Good lord.

Look, you didn't get to be 180 lbs by being so darn good at controlling and estimating calorie intake. Don't try to pretend that all those days of unlogged food were 1600-calorie days. You're not going to get anywhere if you're not even willing to be honest with yourself.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire

i

i've not lied. just because i didn't type it into an app doesnt mean it's not true, hell, typing it into an app doesnt make it true. i'm not asking you to evaluate that, only answer from the facts i;ve given you.

The point is this:
    JonnyThan has already given you advice based on the facts you've given everybody here. Telling you to eat more or eat less or exercise less is all just TALK as long as we have no idea what your real intake or output is.