doing it "right" getting nowhere

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    As has been mentioned, you are not logging your food. You logged 14 days out of the last month - and 2 of the 14 days are quick adds with a lot of other quick adds in the days where some meals are logged. Plus, you have a lot of generic adds - unless you are using the recipe builder, you cannot know these are at all accurate. Do you weigh your food?

Ignore all the 'you are not eating enough'. Until you log accurately, you do not know how much you are eating.

Pick a reasonable caloric intake, log accurately (which also means weighing your food when possible), assess for a while, and tweak accordingly.

^This is all the information you need.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    With all due respect, I think you need to take a look at your diet. It has nothing to do with losing but everything with nursing a baby.
    Do you really want to nurse a baby on potatoes, bacon, avocado and breakfast cookies and the occasional rotisserie chicken breast ? I feel there is a variety of all kinds of foods missing ( especially fruit and a variety of veggies ) from which your little one as well as you could benefit. Also if you are nursing I think skipping meals and jumping from 900 calories one day to several times that much is also not such a good idea.
    Quick adds and not logging at all is probably fine for nursing, but does not help you keep track of what is going on in regard to maintaining the necessary regimen to lose. Maybe you need to take a step back until you are done nursing, just eating to maintain and tackle your weight loss program when your baby is no longer dependent on you as far as food is concerned.
  • SweetMae1
    SweetMae1 Posts: 53 Member
    for those saying i jsut want to hear what i want to hear, i really think my original question is do y'all think i should eat back my exercise calories (a resounding YES! i get it! ;-)) and how long before i should see if that is working?

The honest answer is that it could take a week or it could take forever. You have so many variables with the breastfeeding, PCOS, etc., that eating back the exercise calories is only one possible solution. And what if you're really on a plateau? Some people on here, myself included, can experience a plateau for weeks (sometime months) on end.

i'm a control freak. the variables scare me honestly. i've basically hovered at the same place since april no matter how i;ve eaten or exercised.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    you guys are hilarious. someone comes on for support and you do nothing but try to tear them to shreds.

You come on for support, give only half the relevant information, argue with everyone who offers advice, and THEN we find out you haven't been logging your food consistently. How on earth did you really expect this to turn out?

i explained why i jsut started logging. because i get very ocd about controlling the food. because if i'm not careful anorexia is an issue. there. laid bare. happy now?

People are upset because you said that you've been eating a certain amount for 6 weeks with no change in weight. Reality is you have no idea what you've been eating. You've only been logging for a quarter that amount of time. You ran the thread for several pages arguing with people trying to help you with good advice and it turned out you basically lied from the very beginning.

If that were me, I'd apologize.

QFFT
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    What the heck is a breakfast cookie, anyway?

Also, looking through your diary, you are clearly not weighing your food. I see an entry like "3 thigh fillets." Those things vary in weights - and therefore calories - significantly. You really, really, really, really need to spend $20 and get yourself a food scale.

And what is "meatloaf"? 2 servings of just "meatloaf"? Exactly two servings? Where did this "meatloaf" entry come from? Is this something you just found in the database? Same with "home fries," exactly 1 "serving." This is not accurate logging, not by a long shot. It's rough guesstimating. You have to log accurately.
  • SweetMae1
    what it;s hard to see without looking at my recipes is that the "breakfast cookies" have apples, bananas, cranberries and i actually do eat tons of veggies. y'all are gonna hate this too, but we are Paleo otehr than oatmeal and occasional chipotle.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I think your username is very misleading.

You began this thread and asked, very broadly, for thoughts.

You've been given five pages of replies, and you deny or make excuses for every single comment.

What do you want to hear? That you're right, you must be a genetic outlier because you can't have possibly over or underestimated ANYthing, and of course you're doing it all right.

Except your results say you aren't.

Carry on. You clearly don't want advice from the responses you've given, so good luck in doing everything "right."
  • SweetMae1

Also, looking through your diary, you are clearly not weighing your food. I see an entry like "3 thigh fillets." Those things vary in weights - and therefore calories - significantly. You really, really, really, really need to spend $20 and get yourself a food scale.

And what is "meatloaf"? 2 servings of just "meatloaf"? Exactly two servings? Where did this "meatloaf" entry come from? Is this something you just found in the database? Same with "home fries," exactly 1 "serving." This is not accurate logging, not by a long shot. It's rough guesstimating. You have to log accurately.

all that stuff is recipes with measured amounts. the thigh filet thing is based on a 3oz serving and i do use a scale,
  • jonnythan
    i'm a control freak. the variables scare me honestly. i've basically hovered at the same place since april no matter how i;ve eaten or exercised.

This is BS, because you don't know how you've eaten.
  • jonnythan

all that stuff is recipes with measured amounts. the thigh filet thing is based on a 3oz serving and i do use a scale,

So what do you do? Have a bunch of thighs and then cut slivers, adding them to the scale until you have exactly 6 ounces (not 6.1 or 5.9 but 6)?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member

You can't understand any of the variables without consistent food intake logging. Logging is the most important thing. Once you get a handle on accurately logging intake, you can make decisions as to the accuracy of other variables.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    OP, obviously you know everything and you are doomed to be stuck. Everyone giving you solid advice is wrong and I'm not sure why this thread was even made.

Best of luck and keep doing what you are doing because obviously it is everyone that is so wrong and mean.

To all the mean people telling her she's doing it wrong and taking time out to try to explain and give options....I love you all and I feel so sorry that your efforts have fallen on deaf ears :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    As has been mentioned, you are not logging your food. You logged 14 days out of the last month - and 2 of the 14 days are quick adds with a lot of other quick adds in the days where some meals are logged. Plus, you have a lot of generic adds - unless you are using the recipe builder, you cannot know these are at all accurate. Do you weigh your food?

Ignore all the 'you are not eating enough'. Until you log accurately, you do not know how much you are eating.

Pick a reasonable caloric intake, log accurately (which also means weighing your food when possible), assess for a while, and tweak accordingly.

^This is all the information you need.

QFT
  • jonnythan
    what it;s hard to see without looking at my recipes is that the "breakfast cookies" have apples, bananas, cranberries and i actually do eat tons of veggies. y'all are gonna hate this too, but we are Paleo otehr than oatmeal and occasional chipotle.

Baked cookies, home fries, and ranch dressing are paleo staples, I understand.
  • SweetMae1
    With all due respect, I think you need to take a look at your diet. It has nothing to do with losing but everything with nursing a baby.
    Do you really want to nurse a baby on potatoes, bacon, avocado and breakfast cookies and the occasional rotisserie chicken breast ? I feel there is a variety of all kinds of foods missing ( especially fruit and a variety of veggies ) from which your little one as well as you could benefit. Also if you are nursing I think skipping meals and jumping from 900 calories one day to several times that much is also not such a good idea.
    Quick adds and not logging at all is probably fine for nursing, but does not help you keep track of what is going on in regard to maintaining the necessary regimen to lose. Maybe you need to take a step back until you are done nursing, just eating to maintain and tackle your weight loss program when your baby is no longer dependent on you as far as food is concerned.

i appreciate all you are saying. i eat tons of fruit and veg, but much of it is contained in recipes. also we get our veg from a local farm share so lately it's been kinda potato heavy, which is annoying. i'm acutally gonna cancel that and get back to having more control.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    OP, obviously you know everything and you are doomed to be stuck. Everyone giving you solid advice is wrong and I'm not sure why this thread was even made.

Best of luck and keep doing what you are doing because obviously it is everyone that is so wrong and mean.

To all the mean people telling her she's doing it wrong and taking time out to try to explain and give options....I love you all and I feel so sorry that your efforts have fallen on deaf ears :drinker: :flowerforyou:

QFT
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    This...

This is BS, because you don't know how you've eaten.

and this...
    I think your username is very misleading.

You began this thread and asked, very broadly, for thoughts.

You've been given five pages of replies, and you deny or make excuses for every single comment.

What do you want to hear? That you're right, you must be a genetic outlier because you can't have possibly over or underestimated ANYthing, and of course you're doing it all right.

Except your results say you aren't.

Carry on. You clearly don't want advice from the responses you've given, so good luck in doing everything "right."

and finally...
    People are upset because you said that you've been eating a certain amount for 6 weeks with no change in weight. Reality is you have no idea what you've been eating. You've only been logging for a quarter that amount of time. You ran the thread for several pages arguing with people trying to help you with good advice and it turned out you basically lied from the very beginning.

If that were me, I'd apologize.
  • SweetMae1

Baked cookies, home fries, and ranch dressing are paleo staples, I understand.

the cookies are paleo other than the oatmeal- they have no sugar other than the chocolate which i leave out. the sweet potato home fries came from a paleo cookbook. and the ranch dressing is Tessemae's made for paleo- dairy free olive oil based.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Oh and this too...
    for those saying i jsut want to hear what i want to hear, i really think my original question is do y'all think i should eat back my exercise calories (a resounding YES! i get it! ;-)) and how long before i should see if that is working?

If you are going to be eating back your exercise calores, you need to be honest with yourself that you are overestimating your burns.

i understand that you think i am. i am telling you that i am not new to exercise or fitness and i know that if anything they are underestimated. i take 1-200 off every MFP calculation and even off JIllian Michaels calc.

you said you KNOW how much you are burning because of how your heart is EXPLODING out of your chest. THAT MEANS NOTHING. I wish it did because that would be magical...

Unicorn-farts.gif
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member