When is it socially acceptable for shirtless running?

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    I'm so happy I live on a beach. If a man runs by in a shirt, people wonder why.

I never run in an actual shirt. If people are offended by my bare belly, I don't have to know about it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I feel uniquely qualified to answer this question because I had a neighbor who used to do this in almost any weather in California in a part where it does not snow and can get quite hot. He would do it in the gym or outside and it only seemed odd to me strting in sweater weather and by rainy season he would wear at least some type of shirt to start out at least. Looking bck sweater weather shouldnt have seemed douchey because you get hot when u run. But thats aroun the time it would seem strange. Bodywise a man doesnt need a six pack or even flat abs for shirtless running to seem practical and natural. For me its more about the weather whether it looks out of place or not.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A person should be able to work out in whatever they feel comfortable wearing. It's hard to imagine shirtless running here right now, because it's F'ing cold, but if the weather permits and you're comfortable, go for it.
  • CreativeGuy504
    CreativeGuy504 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this in the fitness message board but I thought I would get some more honest (and entertaining) answers from the regulars on here.

So when is it acceptable for a guy to run shirtless? I know you should be able to whenever bc screw everyone else but honestly I do care what people think and would rather not gross them out.

So what is the criteria besides the weather? Is a full 6 pack required? Is it possible to not look like a douche shirtless running? Thoughts on when it is socially acceptable? Guidelines to follow?

I don't really care what you choose to do. IMO, it always looks "douchey." Is there a reason guys NEED to run shirtless?

The answer to that is painfully obvious: for comfort. With all due respect to you, I think it's silly to think running shirtless is "douchey". I live in New Orleans, and the humidity here is KILLER. Even at five in the morning before the sun comes up, running in that type of weather can be very difficult.

I see all types of men running shirtless: everyone from the seventy-something year old man who lives down the block, to guys who have a little bit of flab and are trying to lose weight, to guys who look like fitness models. My motto: if it makes them more comfortable, then more power to them. Exercise is hard work, and if they can legally do something to make it easier, then more power to them.

In an age where obesity is so rampant and most people DON'T exercise, I think it's great to see people out doing something to improve their health - even if they're not wearing a shirt while doing so.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I live in AZ and men run shirtless all the time. I never even thought about it.

I would say as long as your moobs aren't bouncing all over the place, run shirtless.

Why do people on this site always get their gold thongs in such a wad? :laugh:
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    such varying opinions..
  • VoicelessRide
    VoicelessRide Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    men running shirtless , women running/exercising in sports bras..all is good!
  • LCDr51
    Options
    If it helps your workout, do it.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I personally never run shirtless.
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    When I see a guy running shirtless, this is usually my internal conversation - happens within a 1.5 second time frame:

"That dude is trying to get attention because he's buff.... damn, wish I was chiseled like that... I'd like to see him try that in our AZ summer.... ooh... Dairy Queen"
  • TheSwollMinister
    TheSwollMinister Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Unless it's really cold outside I'm running shirtless. Ain't nobody got time for nipple chafe.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Body Fat % < 20, and Age + Body Fat % < 55
    Otherwise, keep your damned shirt on!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    People do it all the time here (perth WA), men without shirts and women in sports bras. No one gives a stuff except to hope they are wearing sunscreen.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Running shirtless isnt douchy ......blatently fishing for compliments in a forum .... well .....
  • TheSwollMinister
    TheSwollMinister Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Running shirtless isnt douchy ......blatently fishing for compliments in a forum .... well .....

Way to say what most of us were thinking :bigsmile:
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that if you ran shirtless by me, I would yell obscenities at you
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    At the beach or woods.

Other than that, too weird I'd say.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have and do on super hot days after the shirt is drenched with sweat. However this decision was contingent with the loss of my man boobs!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that if you ran shirtless by me, I would yell obscenities at you

You sound like a real peach.

:flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone thinks, if its hot then the shirt is off