Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Ahhh...but you're under 28. And for some reason, THAT is a magical threshold in this thread.

How old are the characters in your mommy erotica? Have you ever used twerking in one of the plots and/or boudoir scenes?

MUMMY!

Super old. Thousands of years old. They get up to sensuous hijinks with the aid of their mummy wrappings and occasionally from some tidbit that a loving family member left in their tomb. A scarab, an ancient, narrow drinking vessel and in one exceptionally hot portion...well, let's just say you'd be surprised at how many erogenous zones one has when their entire skeletal system is exposed to jello.

No twerking, but I may try to work that into the sequel.

I am disgusted and intrigued.

Go on...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Ahhh...but you're under 28. And for some reason, THAT is a magical threshold in this thread.

How old are the characters in your mommy erotica? Have you ever used twerking in one of the plots and/or boudoir scenes?

MUMMY!

Super old. Thousands of years old. They get up to sensuous hijinks with the aid of their mummy wrappings and occasionally from some tidbit that a loving family member left in their tomb. A scarab, an ancient, narrow drinking vessel and in one exceptionally hot portion...well, let's just say you'd be surprised at how many erogenous zones one has when their entire skeletal system is exposed to jello.

No twerking, but I may try to work that into the sequel.

I am disgusted and intrigued.

Go on...

are these available as a podcast series?
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    BBL
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm also a 98 pound bad *kitten*, with soft hands like a delicate flower and I wear gloves during deadlifts to keep them soft. :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I don't consider myself delicate in any way. I may be under 100 lbs but I like to consider myself tougher than most men at my gym and I like to scare most of then men at my gym by being badass, dropping/slamming weights around and wearing no gloves.

In, because this is brilliant.

Op - dropping and slamming weights doesn't make you a badass - it makes you an idiot who can't control the weights she pick up and puts down. I doubt the looks they are giving you are because they are scared of you, more that they think you're a knob.

Oh and at my gym dropping and slamming weights around gets you kicked out.

Also I started lifting in Feb. - I'm only up to 50lbs on my squats - should I just give up since all women should be able to start at 70lbs :noway: Comments like that are what put women off lifting in the first place, but then maybe that's your point - less women, less competition, all eyes on you.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

That's why I love using no pad when squatting and no gloves. Makes me feel superior when I see weak guys having to use a pad in the smith machine while gloves to protect his soft hands.

Meh, i'll stick to wearing gloves. Having soft hands beats being a show off at the gym.

I don't care about having soft hands; I take pride in callused hands. It shows toughness in my opinion. Of course it's not necessary; I just don't like using gloves.

Also, the majority of people at the gym have no need for gloves. The only exercise that I could imagine you may need gloves for are heavy deadlifts.

Are guys serious when they need gloves to do curls with 30 lbs and tricep push downs on the cable machines? Gloves for that? Come on.

Also, there is no reason whatsoever why someone would need gloves to squat... that to me is just laughable? People can't hold the bar with their bare hands?
    I use gloves because I teach piano and the callouses make it hard to play some of the more difficult pieces because of the stretch i need between my fingers.
    I dont feel like rough hands is an indicator of strength or success in the gym.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Jstarz, why is it that you have something to prove? Or are you just trolling?

I am not trolling. This is my personality; I am antagonistic... don't really care about making friends or getting along with others. I like to debate online. So what?

Wait, this wasn't some elaborate build-up to friend requests? I thought we had a lot in common.

I denied every single friend request on bodybuilding forum and will do the same. I never even accept those. I won't accept any friend requests on this site either.

You are missing out. I'm hella awesome. I'm funny, smart, shy, shmexy, use words like hella and shmexy, make amazing applesauce, rarely use words like amazeballs and totes, play the Hungarian Cimbalo, knit, write amateur mummy erotica (don't laugh, vampires have had their day), have at least 2 maternal bones in my body (or did twice leading up to it iykwis), can french braid, and use the oxford comma.
    lolololololololol
  • jstarz002
    Options

I don't consider myself delicate in any way. I may be under 100 lbs but I like to consider myself tougher than most men at my gym and I like to scare most of then men at my gym by being badass, dropping/slamming weights around and wearing no gloves.

Op - dropping and slamming weights doesn't make you a badass - it makes you an idiot who can't control the weights she pick up and puts down. I doubt the looks they are giving you are because they are scared of you, more that they think you're a knob.

Also I started lifting in Feb. - I'm only up to 50lbs on my squats - should I just give up since all women should be able to start at 70lbs :noway: Comments like that are what put women off lifting in the first place, but then maybe that's your point - less women, less competition, all eyes on you.

I never said people should start squats at 50 lbs... HIP THRUSTS are EASIER than squats and most people will be able to hip thrust at least 2x what they squat if they keep at it... Just like most people can deadlift way more than they squat. Did I say people should start at 50 lbs for everything? If you are going to quote me do it right.

Oh and I don't go to Planet Fitness. We can slam all the weights we like. I don't do it cause I can't control the weight. I do it on purpose when some guy at the gym is staring at me or offending me in some way. It's scares the living daylights out of them and they don't dare to look at me anymore. I am talking about a weird guy that stares excessively; not randomly looking etc but staring EVERY time he sees me for 20 seconds straight... He will stop walking wherever he is going and stand still and stare. I drop that weight and glare at him and he gets the point now.
  • jstarz002
    Options

That's why I love using no pad when squatting and no gloves. Makes me feel superior when I see weak guys having to use a pad in the smith machine while gloves to protect his soft hands.

Meh, i'll stick to wearing gloves. Having soft hands beats being a show off at the gym.

I don't care about having soft hands; I take pride in callused hands. It shows toughness in my opinion. Of course it's not necessary; I just don't like using gloves.

Also, the majority of people at the gym have no need for gloves. The only exercise that I could imagine you may need gloves for are heavy deadlifts.

Are guys serious when they need gloves to do curls with 30 lbs and tricep push downs on the cable machines? Gloves for that? Come on.

Also, there is no reason whatsoever why someone would need gloves to squat... that to me is just laughable? People can't hold the bar with their bare hands?
    I use gloves because I teach piano and the callouses make it hard to play some of the more difficult pieces because of the stretch i need between my fingers.
    I dont feel like rough hands is an indicator of strength or success in the gym.

Good for you. I never said rough hands a sign of strength or success; it does mean that the person is tougher tho generally. In my opinion it is also sexier and manlier.... and more badass for both genders. I don't like gloves and don't wear them.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I never said people should start squats at 50 lbs... HIP THRUSTS are EASIER than squats and most people will be able to hip thrust at least 2x what they squat if they keep at it... Just like most people can deadlift way more than they squat. Did I say people should start at 50 lbs for everything? If you are going to quote me do it right.

Oh and I don't go to Planet Fitness. We can slam all the weights we like. I don't do it cause I can't control the weight. I do it on purpose when some guy at the gym is staring at me or offending me in some way. It's scares the living daylights out of them and they don't dare to look at me anymore. I am talking about a weird guy that stares excessively; not randomly looking etc but staring EVERY time he sees me for 20 seconds straight... He will stop walking wherever he is going and stand still and stare. I drop that weight and glare at him and he gets the point now.

Hmmmm thought you said people that couldn't squat 70 but I'm not re-reading 20 pages to find it.

I don't go to planet fitness so not sure why you brought that up :huh:

I still think its a bad idea to tell anyone to start with a specific weight, the bar or even body weight is the best advice always. Tell people they should be able to do something is setting them up for injury since you know nothing about all the people who read this thread.

And I still don't think they look away because they're scared of you, more that they think you're an idiot for slamming the weights. Even if you can control the weights, it makes it look like you can't. Interestingly that guy staring might be impressed at the weight you lift and how you control them , and you slamming them just makes him think he was right and the weights are too heavy for you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate that the OP had to turn a good topic into this nonsense post. Just because she has a napoleon complex.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    We went to the gym on Sunday & I convinced my DH to try weighted bridges. We started with the bare bar and it was waaaaaaay too easy for both of us (from the floor). It felt like nothing but getting plates on to the bar & getting going with a real set wasn't something we were ready to do yet (logistics, thanks for the link btw) we couldn't quite figure how to load less than #2 45# plates & then there was the issue of padding of some sort.

Does anyone know if we can use foam pipe insulation on the bar or do we need to buy some kind of padding?

Haven't figured out a way to work them in to our workouts yet but will likely use as a finisher as someone already suggested. Currently doing squats, DL, straight legged DL, OHP, etc. all compound, 5x3.

I'm also looking for a way to work in kb on our off days, soooo..yeah. There's that. Anyhow, dramatics aside, I guess we'll see this week how this pans out.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    We went to the gym on Sunday & I convinced my DH to try weighted bridges. We started with the bare bar and it was waaaaaaay too easy for both of us (from the floor). It felt like nothing but getting plates on to the bar & getting going with a real set wasn't something we were ready to do yet (logistics, thanks for the link btw) we couldn't quite figure how to load less than #2 45# plates & then there was the issue of padding of some sort.

Does anyone know if we can use foam pipe insulation on the bar or do we need to buy some kind of padding?

Haven't figured out a way to work them in to our workouts yet but will likely use as a finisher as someone already suggested. Currently doing squats, DL, straight legged DL, OHP, etc. all compound, 5x3.

I'm also looking for a way to work in kb on our off days, soooo..yeah. There's that. Anyhow, dramatics aside, I guess we'll see this week how this pans out.

Use the pad that people use for squats... take it from the squat rack
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You should growl at them too. That would be really bad *kitten*.

I tore my first callus yesterday and bought a callus shaver on the way home. If I could find gloves I liked, I'd wear them. Since I can't, I'll be trying to eliminate calluses anyway I can.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh lawdy. Not using a pad when you squat has nothing to do with being a 'wussy' or not and everything to do with form. /smh

Aware but for most people they will still be sore in their back the first time they do it even WITH proper form because they are not used to having a bar on their back. However they are too wimpy to suck it up and get used to it and resort to using a pad etc.

Maybe if you mentioned why a pad is not a good idea rather than some macho bs, then people would actually get something out of your posts.

Have you ever thought that they do not know not to use it, rather than them just being wimpy?

Nah I think they do know how to use it..... majority are guys... also i have seen many GUYS writing on bodybuilding.com that they prefer using a pad... even though they know about form etc... they were asking of others "judged" them on it..... which i btw DO. I think many guys are aware of proper form but still like to use the pad cause it's easier.

Which answer are you going with? Your first one or the one immediately after it?

Wimps... Espec if they are using gloves at the same time.

It's the most unmasculine and unsexiest thing ever to see a guy squat with a pad and gloves. Turns me off. I am not trolling but totally serious. I cannot respect a guy that has a lower pain tolerance than me and I'm a petite female.
    That's important information, because all men structure their lives around what turns you on/off.

I'm sure guys everywhere are slipping on new gloves and suddenly deciding to use bar pads
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Hmmmm thought you said people that couldn't squat 70 but I'm not re-reading 20 pages to find it.

I still think its a bad idea to tell anyone to start with a specific weight, the bar or even body weight is the best advice always. Tell people they should be able to do something is setting them up for injury since you know nothing about all the people who read this thread.

And I still don't think they look away because they're scared of you, more that they think you're an idiot for slamming the weights. Even if you can control the weights, it makes it look like you can't. Interestingly that guy staring might be impressed at the weight you lift and how you control them , and you slamming them just makes him think he was right and the weights are too heavy for you.

I have time to go through 20 pages. Here are the quotes related to starting weights for hip thrusts:

Jstarz002 (in OP):
    Start with body weight and then just 95lbs on the barbell working up to 225lbs... Eventually you will want to be able to do 225 for reps. Also, very important to eat in a caloric surplus to build dat *kitten*.....

Adrianbry said:
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+

That's where the whole start with 70# crap came from.

Jstarz002:
    Watch the vids I posted above for form in order to do it correctly. 70 lbs is light as hell. I was 90 lbs when I started doing them and I started hip thrusting 95 lbs and am now at 195 lbs. You may want to practice with no weight for a session and then 95 lbs is a good place to start to practice good form. 70 lbs is super light to start off with; good for learning form etc.

Jstarz002:
    70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols

I am super small; I have rarely seen a female smaller than me and I started with 95 lbs... just the bar (45lbs) and 2 25 lb plates on each side... You need to push yourself when you work out. Majority of these people have no clue as to how to do that.

All from the first page.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Glute bridges and hip thrusts are fantastic. I have destroyed my lower back with deadlifts and bb squats, so they are excellent for me. So there. Squats and deadlifts are not the best for everyone. Get over it.

If you destroyed your back with bb squats and deads then you were doing them wrong. Don't blame the exercise for your own mistakes.

That said, the best advice for any new lifter is to start with the bar weight and work up from there. Too much too soon is a common problem. I'm not afraid to say that I still start my warm up sets for squats, for example, with just the bar and work up. Yes, you want to lift heavy. Yes, you want to push yourself. But not at the cost of good form and increasing the risk of injury.

No **** I was doing them wrong. I wasn't blaming the exercise. They are great for people who can do them properly. I also have joint hypermobility syndrome, which causes poor joint proprioception, hence the reason for destroying my back in the first place.

I am just so over the lifting elitism around here. Get over yourselves.
    tired of lifting elitism but comments in lifting thread...interesting...
  • jstarz002
    Options

I have time to go through 20 pages. Here are the quotes related to starting weights for hip thrusts:

Jstarz002 (in OP):
    Start with body weight and then just 95lbs on the barbell working up to 225lbs... Eventually you will want to be able to do 225 for reps. Also, very important to eat in a caloric surplus to build dat *kitten*.....

Adrianbry said:
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+

That's where the whole start with 70# crap came from.

Jstarz002:
    Watch the vids I posted above for form in order to do it correctly. 70 lbs is light as hell. I was 90 lbs when I started doing them and I started hip thrusting 95 lbs and am now at 195 lbs. You may want to practice with no weight for a session and then 95 lbs is a good place to start to practice good form. 70 lbs is super light to start off with; good for learning form etc.

Jstarz002:
    70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols

I am super small; I have rarely seen a female smaller than me and I started with 95 lbs... just the bar (45lbs) and 2 25 lb plates on each side... You need to push yourself when you work out. Majority of these people have no clue as to how to do that.

All from the first page.

Yep, 70 lbs for HIP THRUSTS....

READ THE POST OF THE PERSON YOU QUOTED... THEY WROTE

"Hmmmm thought you said people that couldn't squat 70 but I'm not re-reading 20 pages to find it."

SQUAT

SQUAT

SQUAT

When did I say 70 lbs for SQUAT? I said HIP THRUSTS... and I still stand by that...

Do you even read?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I hip thrusted 210kg (465lbs)x5 the other day. I have a huge *kitten*. Hope that helps.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    can't believe everyone's (sorry not everyone) still hatin' on you.

love you for letting me know about these - have DOMS in my *kitten* - that hasn't happened for awhile.

AND i'd leave a gym where you weren't allowed to drop the weights (i work out at home so its not an issue for me :)) - safety first, why put extra strain on your back if you're going for a new PR :/