Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options
Just read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1106697-flat-bum of someone asking advice about what to do about a flat butt and everyone is like SQUATS.... Yes; barbell squats are one of the compound moves you should do for dat *kitten*.

But are you aware that barbell hip thrusts have been scientifically proven in EMG testing to stimulate MORE glute activity than squats or deadlifts....???? It is the #1 exercise for everyone that wants a nice booty. In addition to hip thrusts you should do barbell squats, deads and other accessory exercises etc but hip thrusts are the most effective...

For form advice search for "Bret Contreras on Youtube" and watch videos on how to perform them.

People are not giving the hip thrust the respect it deserves. Guarantee that if you are doing it right you will feel it in your *kitten* more than squats ever...

Start with body weight and then just 95lbs on the barbell working up to 225lbs... Eventually you will want to be able to do 225 for reps. Also, very important to eat in a caloric surplus to build dat *kitten*.....

As for embarrassment; just get over it. I have no shame and no embarrassment. I am a female and when the power racks are taken I will myself take up an entire bench press and do my thrusts right in the middle of the gym while the entire gym stares in awe. It's not embarrassing but badass when you hip thrust a crap ton of weight and 99 percent of guys at the gym are too ignorant to even know what a hip thrust is or what the heck you are doing. My glute aesthetics is 100x more important than what strangers are thinking of me in the gym.

So just try it once!

Replies

• CoachDreesTraining
    Options
    Compound movements will always be superior to isolated movements. Activation is only one part of the equation. You can activate just as many motor units by squeezing your cheeks together standing in the grocery line as you can with a heavy barbell on your hips. You must also put stress on those muscle fibers. Compound movements put more stress on the body, causing greater hormonal and psychological changes.

Hip thrusts can be good as a warm-up/activation exercise, or as a "finisher" exerciser for your glutes after a few sets of squats.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Compound movements will always be superior to isolated movements. Activation is only one part of the equation. You can activate just as many motor units by squeezing your cheeks together standing in the grocery line as you can with a heavy barbell on your hips. You must also put stress on those muscle fibers. Compound movements put more stress on the body, causing greater hormonal and psychological changes.

Hip thrusts can be good as a warm-up/activation exercise, or as a "finisher" exerciser for your glutes after a few sets of squats.

Hip thrusts ARE a compound exercise... http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-hip-thrust

It also works hamstrings and calves...

lol, just lol... please check facts before you call hip thrusts "non compound.... just lol

"The Hip Thrust isn't the most well-known exercise, if you haven't used it before check out my Hip Thrust video tutorial. Like the squat and the deadlift, the hip thrust is a lower body exercise that is not only a "compound" lift (it works multiple muscle groups at the same time), but it allows you to add a ton of weight."

http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/the-rule-of-3-workout-routine-veni-vidi-vici
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Exactly this:bigsmile:
    When i see pictures of *kitten* from women that do Hip thrusts instead of squats i will change my tune.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hip thrust, butt bridges are far superior to squats for a bigger butt (see nowloss.com/butt). yes it's an isolation movement and 99% of the time I'd agree that compound movements are always best but in this case (being that your glutes are one of the bigger muscles in your body)...

the hip thrust or butt brdige beats squats and deadlifts hands down. I worked up to 405 on the hip thrust for 6 reps and believe me... it works!
  • jstarz002
    Options

Exactly this:bigsmile:
    When i see pictures of *kitten* from women that do Hip thrusts instead of squats i will change my tune.

http://bretcontreras.com/hip-thrust-and-glute-science/

Pics coming right up. I am looking for that section on Bret's blog....

You guys are ignorant betw. Most powerlifters train hip thrusts because it helps improve their deadlifts; especially lock out. The biggest guy at my gym hip thrusts over 500 lbs.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Hip thrust, butt bridges are far superior to squats for a bigger butt (see nowloss.com/butt). yes it's an isolation movement and 99% of the time I'd agree that compound movements are always best but in this case (being that your glutes are one of the bigger muscles in your body)...

the hip thrust or butt brdige beats squats and deadlifts hands down. I worked up to 405 on the hip thrust for 6 reps and believe me... it works!

Love your blog btw! I read it towards the beginning of my quest for bigger glutes journey. Hip thrusts increased my panckake *kitten* by over 1.5 inches...
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hell i have an open mind ill give them a shot, new to me.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Also read this from Bret's blog

"Let’s say that all a woman ever does for her glutes is squats and lunges. Unfortunately squats and lunges always hit the quads really well but for some individuals they don’t hit the glutes very hard. Some individuals don’t use good form and therefore fail to hit the glutes during squats and lunges, and some individuals simply have unique anthropometries (body-types) which prevents their glutes from getting maximally targeted from squats and lunges even if they’re using great form. To obtain the best butt possible, we need to hit the glutes from a variety of angles with a plethora of exercises. Look closely at Ronnie Coleman’s glute fibers. When analyzing the fibers, it makes sense that they’d need a variety of exercises to maximize their potential.

A few months ago I decided to conduct a unique experiment where I placed electrodes on the glute medius, upper glute max, mid glute max, and lower glute max and performed a variety of hip extension, hip abduction, and hip external rotation movements while measuring the electromyography (EMG) activity in the various muscle parts. Here is a chart that shows the results of the experiment (the top number is the mean or average activation according to maximum voluntary contraction (MVC) while the bottom number is the peak or highest activation according to MVC):

he Winners

Based on this experiment, here are the top three exercises in terms of mean and peak activity for each muscle part:

Glute Medius

Mean: Quadruped Hip Circle, Band Standing External Rotation, Barbell Hip Thrust

Peak: Quadruped Hip Circle, Quadruped Band Donkey Kick, Quadruped Hip Extension

Upper Glute Maximus

Mean: Barbell Hip Thrust, Band Skorcher Hip Thrust, Quadruped Hip Circle

Peak: Quadruped Hip Extension, Barbell Hip Thrust, Bird Dog

Mid Glute Maximus

Mean: Band Standing Hip External Rotation, Band Skorcher Hip Thrust, Barbell Hip Thrust

Peak: Band Standing Hip External Rotation, Band Skorcher Hip Thrust, Cable Standing Hip External Rotation

Lower Glute Maximus

Mean: Deadlift, Band Hip Thrust, Band Standing Hip External Rotation

Peak: Single Leg Hip Thrust, Shoulder Elevated Single Leg Hip Thrust, Deadlift

As you can see, the results were pretty shocking. My findings indicate that the glutes show varying levels of activation in the different regions of the muscles depending on the exercise performed. Of course, we already knew that the various heads of the delts, pecs, and traps have varying roles and levels of activation depending on the exercise, but this study indicates that the same is true regarding the glutes and possibly more muscle groups.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Hell i have an open mind ill give them a shot, new to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCm-70-9_XE

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBrHdatPj9g

Since you are guy maybe start with 185 lbs.... lets see how you do...

He has been published like 50 times on T-Nation btw
  • AdrianBry
    Options
    hip thrust, squats, lunges, leg presses all work for a bigger (better butt) but once you try hip thrust and bridges you'll agree that they're much better.

they're really useful for people with knee problems who cant or hate squats
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    It looks like an isolation movement: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BWLyingHipExtension.html

Yet the target muscle for glute bridges is the glutes whereas for squats the target muscle is the quads: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat.html

So it looks like a superior exercise to the squat and deadlift when it comes to targeting the glutes, but squats and deadlifts can be used to add extra volume to cause hypertrophy of the glutes.

Of course hip thrusts and glute bridges may also minimize hypertrophy of the quads.
  • AdrianBry
    Options
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    hip thrust, squats, lunges, leg presses all work for a bigger (better butt) but once you try hip thrust and bridges you'll agree that they're much better.

they're really useful for people with knee problems who cant or hate squats

Yep, that's exactly why I chose them! I can't do heavy squats with my kneecaps. I love weighted hip thrusts.

Folks should try new things, imho. You never know what hits your body best until you try it, no?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Yes, you need to go heavy with these things... I am under 100 lbs and hip thrusting 195 lbs. Still working my way up to 225 lbs... When i first started doing them i started with 95 lbs which is around my body weight and kept moving the weight up. Progressive overload is key
  • jstarz002
    Options

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.

Watch the vids I posted above for form in order to do it correctly. 70 lbs is light as hell. I was 90 lbs when I started doing them and I started hip thrusting 95 lbs and am now at 195 lbs. You may want to practice with no weight for a session and then 95 lbs is a good place to start to practice good form. 70 lbs is super light to start off with; good for learning form etc.
  • AdrianBry
    Options

heavy is a realtive term and I said "probably" - 70 may be extremely heavy for you so yes... dont overdo it FOR YOU... just pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range and for me that's 300-to-400 pounds on the hip thrust whereas that may be 30-to-40 pounds for you (but I'd doubt it)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jstarz002
    Options

heavy is a realtive term and I said "probably" - 70 may be extremely heavy for you so yes... dont overdo it FOR YOU... just pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range and for me that's 300-to-400 pounds on the hip thrust whereas that may be 30-to-40 pounds for you (but I'd doubt it)

70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols

I am super small; I have rarely seen a female smaller than me and I started with 95 lbs... just the bar (45lbs) and 2 25 lb plates on each side... You need to push yourself when you work out. Majority of these people have no clue as to how to do that.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

I can squat 85 pounds after lifting a couple months. I started at 40 and that was after completing a few rounds of circuit training specifically for glutes.

Please keep your bro science quit so people don't hear you and hurt themselves.