Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Joy-joy and anh720: stop panicking 70lb is really not that heavy - this would be a fairly easy starting place for deads as well. They're not saying you should start OHP or squatting with it so take it easy. No offence intended ladies, try it out before you go berserk - it is really quite light and you would have a hard time injuring yourself with it. My teenage daughters started out a LOT heavier than this and they are fine :)

OP haven't tried these yet (relatively new to lifting)' thanks for the info.

Who says I'm panicking? I have not once said "not" to do these, have I?

ETA: My point is I don't care if you started off at 70 or 90 or 200...that's you and so glad you were able to just load that up and go (because that's what it sounds like). MFP IS full of people starting out that won't think to test it out and will just load that up to 70 and go for it....and that'll either go well or end horribly.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    If you're butthurt about someone showing religious irreverence for barbell squats, then this is the right thread.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Joy-joy and anh720: stop panicking 70lb is really not that heavy - this would be a fairly easy starting place for deads as well. They're not saying you should start OHP or squatting with it so take it easy. No offence intended ladies, try it out before you go berserk - it is really quite light and you would have a hard time injuring yourself with it. My teenage daughters started out a LOT heavier than this and they are fine :)

Um, not panicking - but thanks for playing!
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    squats are great. deadlifts are great and hip thrust are great but if a movie studio paid me 10,000 to train the star actress and said she had to make her butt look better I would definetly start her out with hip thrust or bridges and then yes...

I may add some squats, lunges and/or deadlifts but like with most women (and men) I've personally worked with.

after 4-to-6 sets of 6-12 reps of hip thrust or butt bridges they dont have too much left in the tank for squats or anything else
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Glute bridges and hip thrusts are fantastic. I have destroyed my lower back with deadlifts and bb squats, so they are excellent for me. So there. Squats and deadlifts are not the best for everyone. Get over it.

If you destroyed your back with bb squats and deads then you were doing them wrong. Don't blame the exercise for your own mistakes.

That said, the best advice for any new lifter is to start with the bar weight and work up from there. Too much too soon is a common problem. I'm not afraid to say that I still start my warm up sets for squats, for example, with just the bar and work up. Yes, you want to lift heavy. Yes, you want to push yourself. But not at the cost of good form and increasing the risk of injury.

No **** I was doing them wrong. I wasn't blaming the exercise. They are great for people who can do them properly. I also have joint hypermobility syndrome, which causes poor joint proprioception, hence the reason for destroying my back in the first place.

I am just so over the lifting elitism around here. Get over yourselves.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options
    Compound movements will always be superior to isolated movements. Activation is only one part of the equation. You can activate just as many motor units by squeezing your cheeks together standing in the grocery line as you can with a heavy barbell on your hips. You must also put stress on those muscle fibers. Compound movements put more stress on the body, causing greater hormonal and psychological changes.

Hip thrusts can be good as a warm-up/activation exercise, or as a "finisher" exerciser for your glutes after a few sets of squats.

Hip thrusts ARE a compound exercise... http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-hip-thrust

It also works hamstrings and calves...

lol, just lol... please check facts before you call hip thrusts "non compound.... just lol

"The Hip Thrust isn't the most well-known exercise, if you haven't used it before check out my Hip Thrust video tutorial. Like the squat and the deadlift, the hip thrust is a lower body exercise that is not only a "compound" lift (it works multiple muscle groups at the same time), but it allows you to add a ton of weight."

http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/the-rule-of-3-workout-routine-veni-vidi-vici

Haha, if hip thrusts are a compound movement so are bicep curls.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    As far as how it feels on your back, don't be doing 'bridges' where you use the lower back to help lift to start with (or at all). I've seen two versions, and one doesn't look to use the back (much?).

I do focus on both the glutes and my lower back in my bridges, but that's intentional. Form will matter there. I come from a yoga background and try to build muscle now on a base of old yoga strength gains, if that makes sense.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.

heavy is a realtive term and I said "probably" - 70 may be extremely heavy for you so yes... dont overdo it FOR YOU... just pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range and for me that's 300-to-400 pounds on the hip thrust whereas that may be 30-to-40 pounds for you (but I'd doubt it)

70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols

Um, "normal female", eh? I don't know too many "normal" people" who, upon beginning a program think "I should totally START by trying to squat my full body weight".

Hip thrust is different form squat.... People can generally go much heavier at hip thrusts than their squat and it's fine to start a hip thrust at your body weight.... Most people's hip thrusts are at least 2x their squats....

My bad, I misread what the was referring to. Still, there are so many people just starting out suggesting out I hate to actually see any solid numbers thrown out. Heavy lifting if what is heavy lifting to an individual, so everyone should be starting at a low number and increasing according to ability..

Yes but once you feel comfortable make sure that you are gritting your teeth and pushing balls to the wall when doing your sets. Like going into battle; give it your all like your life depends on it. I see too many people just going through the motions at the gym and it looks like it is too easy. When i work out at the gym i scare the guys with my intensity. I slam weights, grunt, moan, groan, make faces. I put in WERK.
    ok this is a little overkill....things should be challenging, but some of us have to be very careful how we proceed and prefer to be controlled and careful when lifting...there is no need to give like your life depends on it...that may cause an injury that puts you flat on your back for months.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Compound movements will always be superior to isolated movements. Activation is only one part of the equation. You can activate just as many motor units by squeezing your cheeks together standing in the grocery line as you can with a heavy barbell on your hips. You must also put stress on those muscle fibers. Compound movements put more stress on the body, causing greater hormonal and psychological changes.

Hip thrusts can be good as a warm-up/activation exercise, or as a "finisher" exerciser for your glutes after a few sets of squats.

Hip thrusts ARE a compound exercise... http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-hip-thrust

lol, just lol... please check facts before you call hip thrusts "non compound.... just lol

"The Hip Thrust isn't the most well-known exercise, if you haven't used it before check out my Hip Thrust video tutorial. Like the squat and the deadlift, the hip thrust is a lower body exercise that is not only a "compound" lift (it works multiple muscle groups at the same time), but it allows you to add a ton of weight."

http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/the-rule-of-3-workout-routine-veni-vidi-vici

Haha, if hip thrusts are a compound so are bicep curls.

That reminds me of the guy that swore up and down bicep curls was a full body workout. No lie! :laugh:
  • jstarz002
    Options
    I do hip thrusts because i train for hypertrophy and size... I want a BIG round butt; more projection. I am a petite small framed Asian with crap AZN genetics which means flat pancake *kitten*. My *kitten* already increased by an inch and a half from bb hip thrusts... Yes; I also do squats but my strongest lift is my thrust and i feel it has benefited me the most. I thrust 3x a week... add that with a caloric surplus and high protein diet and dat *kitten* will grow. My goal is to add another 2 inches at least. The more the better. I want my booty as big as humanly possible.

I seriously feel like I got robbed in life not knowing about hip thrusts and body building before to get a bigger butt. If I had known this I would have started thrusting 10 years ago.
  • jstarz002
    Options

That reminds me of the guy that swore up and down bicep curls was a full body workout. No lie! :laugh:

Well, its even listed on bodybuilding.com as a compound. Are you accusing them of lying?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-hip-thrust

It's a compound cause it works more than 1 muscle.... it works glutes, hamstrings and also some calves... Actually can hit hamstrings quite hard.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Glute bridges and hip thrusts are fantastic. I have destroyed my lower back with deadlifts and bb squats, so they are excellent for me. So there. Squats and deadlifts are not the best for everyone. Get over it.

If you destroyed your back with bb squats and deads then you were doing them wrong. Don't blame the exercise for your own mistakes.

That said, the best advice for any new lifter is to start with the bar weight and work up from there. Too much too soon is a common problem. I'm not afraid to say that I still start my warm up sets for squats, for example, with just the bar and work up. Yes, you want to lift heavy. Yes, you want to push yourself. But not at the cost of good form and increasing the risk of injury.

No **** I was doing them wrong. I wasn't blaming the exercise. They are great for people who can do them properly. I also have joint hypermobility syndrome, which causes poor joint proprioception, hence the reason for destroying my back in the first place.

You are misinterpreting an emphasis with starting with the basics, and continuing to focus on the basics while building a core of solid accessory exercises around those basics, as "lifting elitism." You simply said in your post that you destroyed your back with squats and deads and failed to include that part about doing them wrong.

I know guys that cannot squat and work with what they can, such as the leg press. The same goes for some of the other basic exercises, like deads. That doesn't mean it's wrong to push the basics and make adaptations where necessary. To come in though and say that thrusts are the clear hands down favorite to replace squats though is seriously pushing it.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

I've seen a few lost souls at various gyms that make it a full body exercise.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am aware. I don't really understand the necessity of this post.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do hip thrusts because i train for hypertrophy and size... I want a BIG round butt; more projection. I am a petite small framed Asian with crap AZN genetics which means flat pancake *kitten*. My *kitten* already increased by an inch and a half from bb hip thrusts... Yes; I also do squats but my strongest lift is my thrust and i feel it has benefited me the most. I thrust 3x a week... add that with a caloric surplus and high protein diet and dat *kitten* will grow. My goal is to add another 2 inches at least. The more the better. I want my booty as big as humanly possible.

I seriously feel like I got robbed in life not knowing about hip thrusts and body building before to get a bigger butt. If I had known this I would have started thrusting 10 years ago.

let me also add that the reason why most people are not succesful with getting a better looking butt with squats is mainly because they dont come down deep enough (*kitten*-to-grass) and are not pushing thru their heels
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.

heavy is a realtive term and I said "probably" - 70 may be extremely heavy for you so yes... dont overdo it FOR YOU... just pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range and for me that's 300-to-400 pounds on the hip thrust whereas that may be 30-to-40 pounds for you (but I'd doubt it)

70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols

Um, "normal female", eh? I don't know too many "normal" people" who, upon beginning a program think "I should totally START by trying to squat my full body weight".

Hip thrust is different form squat.... People can generally go much heavier at hip thrusts than their squat and it's fine to start a hip thrust at your body weight.... Most people's hip thrusts are at least 2x their squats....

My bad, I misread what the was referring to. Still, there are so many people just starting out suggesting out I hate to actually see any solid numbers thrown out. Heavy lifting if what is heavy lifting to an individual, so everyone should be starting at a low number and increasing according to ability..

Yes but once you feel comfortable make sure that you are gritting your teeth and pushing balls to the wall when doing your sets. Like going into battle; give it your all like your life depends on it. I see too many people just going through the motions at the gym and it looks like it is too easy. When i work out at the gym i scare the guys with my intensity. I slam weights, grunt, moan, groan, make faces. I put in WERK.
    ok this is a little overkill....things should be challenging, but some of us have to be very careful how we proceed and prefer to be controlled and careful when lifting...there is no need to give like your life depends on it...that may cause an injury that puts you flat on your back for months.

Oh no, now you are "going berserk" too.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

ETA: My point is I don't care if you started off at 70 or 90 or 200...that's you and so glad you were able to just load that up and go (because that's what it sounds like). MFP IS full of people starting out that won't think to test it out and will just load that up to 70 and go for it....and that'll either go well or end horribly.

Sorry if I picked you ladies up wrong - if you weren't worried about the weight (like I say, it's light so I was trying to reassure - this is a support forum?) then I guess you were just having a go at a guy who sounded very knowledgeable and helpful.

Like I said, I am new to lifting too but most starter books/programmes give 30 or 40 kg as a good starting weight (after warm up sets with the empty bar) for these kind of lifts - this ties in nicely to 70lb.

So if you're not not panicking, WTF?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Well, its even listed on bodybuilding.com as a compound. Are you accusing them of lying?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-hip-thrust

It's a compound cause it works more than 1 muscle.... it works glutes, hamstrings and also some calves... Actually can hit hamstrings quite hard.

Are..you....being...serious?
    :noway:

ETA: referring to the comment about the curls
  • jstarz002
    Options

You are misinterpreting an emphasis with starting with the basics, and continuing to focus on the basics while building a core of solid accessory exercises around those basics, as "lifting elitism." You simply said in your post that you destroyed your back with squats and deads and failed to include that part about doing them wrong.

I know guys that cannot squat and work with what they can, such as the leg press. The same goes for some of the other basic exercises, like deads. That doesn't mean it's wrong to push the basics and make adaptations where necessary. To come in though and say that thrusts are the clear hands down favorite to replace squats though is seriously pushing it.

Squats are the ultimate lower body exercise... Hip thrusts are better if you want to focus on *kitten*. For me I care more about my GLUTES than ANYTHING else on my body. Glutes are #1 priority for me. It is the only reason why i even started lifting; it was all in the quest to get a bigger *kitten*. My desire for a bigger superior glutes surpasses ALL and therefore for MY goals this exercise is king... because i want a superior *kitten*! I am obsessed with getting a great *kitten*.

For generally lower body the squat still rules. Stimulates overall growth like nothing else not to mention really stimulates your CNS.... Squats work more muscles than hip thrust...

For people who want DAT *kitten* STATUS, an *kitten* that will make grown men WEEP then BB hip thrust is #1.....

This topic was about the best exercise for GLUTES... Not the BEST lower body exercise for a beginner or for overall health.

I am talking about GLUTE AESTHETICS.... Looks only... volume and size of the glutes...

For a beginner to working out etc and compound lifts then yes squats are #1.

For someone like me whose #1 goal is GLUTE AESTHETICS AND GLUTE VOLUME/SIZE/PROJECTION then its all about hip thrust. I am not working out for overall health or the basics. Only to get "dat *kitten*"....