Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Easy Beach and Whierd...otherwise she might suggest you go use neoprene dumbbells too.

If I were not afraid it would roll down and crush my junk I would to start out with. Ain't no shame in starting light.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Can we all get back to basics and start with hip to hip thrusts?

*bowchickabowwow*

:love:

LOL
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Easy Beach and Whierd...otherwise she might suggest you go use neoprene dumbbells too because unless you are down to push people to possibly hurt themselves...you shouldn't be using the barbells or something. :laugh:

Caught you before the edit!

And as someone who has hurt themselves in the gym before and now has to live with the chronic pain from his own stupidity, I would much rather play it safe.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    In to find later, in case it gets more argue-y.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    As a fairly new lifter who is making some good gains this interested me.

(good gains are 3 weeks in squatting 100lbs no fail)

I read the posts, watched some examples of the hip thrust and bridge...

The thrust I wouldn't start with weights....empty bar. It looks odd and dangerous...I could see how it would work but just the same I would prefer to get used to that lift prior to attempting 70lbs.

The bridge...hmmm not sure about that one...I could see the bar rolling down and smacking me in the face if I wasn't careful...or feet slipping especially if I wasn't used to that move.

As others have mentioned there are a lot of woman like me who are novice in lifting and/or just returning after a long hiatus, just learning about form for the compound lifts we re doing, and we can't and shouldn't use weights when learning these new moves regardless of size. For a new lifter it is all about the form at the start and getting that down prior to pounding on the plates.

I am sure they are great for your butt how could they not be...but that being said if I ever incorporate them in it will be in 6-9 months time after I am comforatable with the lifts I am doing.

So yes be careful about throwing arbitrary numbers like 70lbs to start with out there as someone will take it to heart and try it and possibly hurt themselves and/or hate lifting because they just couldn't do it...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Easy Beach and Whierd...otherwise she might suggest you go use neoprene dumbbells too.

If I were not afraid it would roll down and crush my junk I would to start out with. Ain't no shame in starting light.

I still start out with the bar when doing my warm up sets for squats. I don't get the **** measuring contest over starting with a heavier weight. I thought that stopped with the dudes in school. Now the ladies are in it? Maybe I'm just old.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • whierd
    Options

I still start out with the bar when doing my warm up sets for squats. I don't get the **** measuring contest over starting with a heavier weight. I thought that stopped with the dudes in school. Now the ladies are in it? Maybe I'm just old.

With the exception of deadlifts (because of needing the bar off the ground) I start all of my lifts with an unloaded bar and gradually add weight. I could care less if someone finds it odd or gives me a patronizing look. It helps my muscles warm up and make sure my form is correct.
  • whierd
    Options
    In to find later, in case it gets more argue-y.

It is kind of a dumb thread altogether.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

With the exception of deadlifts (because of needing the bar off the ground) I start all of my lifts with an unloaded bar and gradually add weight. I could care less if someone finds it odd or gives me a patronizing look. It helps my muscles warm up and make sure my form is correct.

Agreed. Get the damn ego out of the equation and work a program consistently and correctly. Period.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

In my personal experience, only the ladies with a chip on their shoulder get into pissing contests over weight lifting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, only the ladies with a chip on their shoulder get into pissing contests over weight lifting.

or time on a treadmill etc
    or bf%
    or least amount of calories
    or who has more DOM...

and this coming from a female...that's why most woman are friends with guys....:ohwell:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Sorry, my bad. Just working on pissing up a rope :wink: (It's a joke from another thread :tongue:) :laugh:
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hip thrust, butt bridges are far superior to squats for a bigger butt (see nowloss.com/butt). yes it's an isolation movement and 99% of the time I'd agree that compound movements are always best but in this case (being that your glutes are one of the bigger muscles in your body)...

the hip thrust or butt brdige beats squats and deadlifts hands down. I worked up to 405 on the hip thrust for 6 reps and believe me... it works!

Good to see you here Adrian.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sorry................double post.:blushing:
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Just read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1106697-flat-bum of someone asking advice about what to do about a flat butt and everyone is like SQUATS.... Yes; barbell squats are one of the compound moves you should do for dat *kitten*.

But are you aware that barbell hip thrusts have been scientifically proven in EMG testing to stimulate MORE glute activity than squats or deadlifts....???? It is the #1 exercise for everyone that wants a nice booty. In addition to hip thrusts you should do barbell squats, deads and other accessory exercises etc but hip thrusts are the most effective...

For form advice search for "Bret Contreras on Youtube" and watch videos on how to perform them.

People are not giving the hip thrust the respect it deserves. Guarantee that if you are doing it right you will feel it in your *kitten* more than squats ever...

Start with body weight and then just 95lbs on the barbell working up to 225lbs... Eventually you will want to be able to do 225 for reps. Also, very important to eat in a caloric surplus to build dat *kitten*.....

As for embarrassment; just get over it. I have no shame and no embarrassment. I am a female and when the power racks are taken I will myself take up an entire bench press and do my thrusts right in the middle of the gym while the entire gym stares in awe. It's not embarrassing but badass when you hip thrust a crap ton of weight and 99 percent of guys at the gym are too ignorant to even know what a hip thrust is or what the heck you are doing. My glute aesthetics is 100x more important than what strangers are thinking of me in the gym.

So just try it once!
    I do thank you for the enlightenment. Something i will be looking into that i never really knew existed. Funny, i was taught by a very powerful strongman. Gregg Ernst, never once mentioned this, guess its sort of new discovery.
    :heart:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My husband does both body weight and weighted hip thrusts but he's been slowly lowering his weighted ones. He's doing 155 these days, down from a high in the 190s.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    As a guy that has never had a butt, just love handles and legs, :happy: these have helped my squat a ton.

I started with body weight and could not walk for a day or two after. :laugh: No need to start off crazy on weight. IMO

Strong Curves is a great book for women (or even men) and makes a strong case for why they are such a great exercise.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Joy-joy and anh720: stop panicking 70lb is really not that heavy - this would be a fairly easy starting place for deads as well. They're not saying you should start OHP or squatting with it so take it easy. No offence intended ladies, try it out before you go berserk - it is really quite light and you would have a hard time injuring yourself with it. My teenage daughters started out a LOT heavier than this and they are fine :)

OP haven't tried these yet (relatively new to lifting)' thanks for the info.

Who says I'm panicking? I have not once said "not" to do these, have I?

ETA: My point is I don't care if you started off at 70 or 90 or 200...that's you and so glad you were able to just load that up and go (because that's what it sounds like). MFP IS full of people starting out that won't think to test it out and will just load that up to 70 and go for it....and that'll either go well or end horribly.

Sorry if I picked you ladies up wrong - if you weren't worried about the weight (like I say, it's light so I was trying to reassure - this is a support forum?) then I guess you were just having a go at a guy who sounded very knowledgeable and helpful.

Like I said, I am new to lifting too but most starter books/programmes give 30 or 40 kg as a good starting weight (after warm up sets with the empty bar) for these kind of lifts - this ties in nicely to 70lb.

So if you're not not panicking, WTF?

The point is you don't throw out random numbers, even if you think it's light, because A LOT of people come here just starting out and DO NOT understand what "heavy" means and have never done any type of program. He might know a lot, he can share that without suggesting a specific number. It's not "going berserk" to expect people to post as responsibly as possible.

Sorry, last post, honest. It's NOT heavy - it's often recommended in beginners programmes and books because it's NOT heavy.

Thank you for being one of those people who genuinely doesn't know what heavy means and being so very dense to that fact - seriously, if all of this helps just one person know that the best practice is to start with an unloaded bar, this was worth it.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Agreed. Get the damn ego out of the equation and work a program consistently and correctly. Period.

:drinker: :flowerforyou: