Are u aware of BB hip thrusts work glutes more than squats?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    In for hip thrusting.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and another thing.

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

that means most women should probably start with 70+ pounds and men maybe 100+

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.

heavy is a realtive term and I said "probably" - 70 may be extremely heavy for you so yes... dont overdo it FOR YOU... just pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range and for me that's 300-to-400 pounds on the hip thrust whereas that may be 30-to-40 pounds for you (but I'd doubt it)

I'm assuming you haven't been around MFP on another account so some friendly advice -

Realize that many women are just starting to warm up to the idea of heavy lifting, looking for info and have never lifted before. There are people here who might have to start out with dumbbells and work up to the bar even. So when you start throwing things out like "probably should start at x-amount of weight" - you probably should be aware of the majority of people who may be reading this and who will just go ahead and do this without realizing that they should work up to said "probably" weight to make sure they can handle it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Make sure you use heavy weights (like in a compound movement) and use weights that keep you in the 6-12 rep range.

Start? Seriously? So when someone hurts their back trying to start out so heavy are you going to be paying medical bills? That's really bad advice.

heavy is a realtive term and I said "probably" - 70 may be extremely heavy for you so yes... dont overdo it FOR YOU... just pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range and for me that's 300-to-400 pounds on the hip thrust whereas that may be 30-to-40 pounds for you (but I'd doubt it)

70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols

Or they could be people with pre-existing conditions or are not that strong starting off...and there's nothing wrong with not being able to start off at 70 or 90lbs as long as they are progressing at the rate that is best for them.

ETA: and it is attitudes that 'oh, you should be able to start of this way because I did" can really turn away those considering getting more into strength training/heavy lifting
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

70 lbs should not be heavy for a normal female. I am extremely petite (under 100 lbs and 4ft11) and started with 95 lbs...

People complaining about 70 lbs hip thrust are not used to pushing themselves and probably feel more comfortable with hip thrusting a 10 lb plate. lols
    NO.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Um, "normal female", eh? I don't know too many "normal" people" who, upon beginning a program think "I should totally START by trying to squat my full body weight".
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    technique seems to be a key element here, I am going to take this with caution, seems like a good way to messing up my back.
  • jstarz002
    Options

Or they could be people with pre-existing conditions or are not that strong starting off...and there's nothing wrong with not being able to start off at 70 or 90lbs as long as they are progressing at the rate that is best for them.

Yes; start at whatever is hard and challenging for YOU. However I as a PETITE FEMALE (I seriously have rarely seen anyone more smaller than myself) cannot imagine that 70 lbs hip thrust being SUPER HARD for anyone except if they are physically challenged/handicapped/300 lbs overweight. A normal woman should be able to do that easily and if not then it most likely is all in her head.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the starting numbers much even though I do them, other than to say I do think over 100 lbs sounds totally feasible for mine if I could do them to failure with heavy weights. I don't have enough weight here at home, and I'm putting everything up there, lol. I hold up in bridge pose with weight for a long time on each rep to get to fatigue by 8.

I'm not looking for maximum growth, either, though. I basically just work what I've got and like the size. It's not small. Never has been, even when I was downright skinny.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    I started at 95 and was over 180 by the second week. But I didn't add them in until I was an Intermediate lifter.

Glute bridges are fantastic, but if a woman is a novice lifter, she's better off starting with the 4 major compound lifts and then glute bridges some time thereafter. They do work the core in addition to the gluteus, and they require a certain amount of balance that a novice lifter might not have.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts are not a "finisher" for squats. It is a hip hinge movement pattern, like a deadlift, and you are not going to reach your full glute potential without it. For what it's worth, I'm hip thrusting 255 lbs (116 kg) for 10 reps with a 10-second iso hold after each set. I also squat pretty heavy (220 lbs) for a woman my size, so I'm well aware of the benefits of heavy squats. But if you care at all about glute training and you're not doing hip thrusts, you should be.
  • jstarz002
    Options

Um, "normal female", eh? I don't know too many "normal" people" who, upon beginning a program think "I should totally START by trying to squat my full body weight".

Hip thrust is different form squat.... People can generally go much heavier at hip thrusts than their squat and it's fine to start a hip thrust at your body weight.... Most people's hip thrusts are at least 2x their squats....
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Good Zeus, is that Adrian Bryant???!!! Love, love, love your blog!!!
    Hip thrust, butt bridges are far superior to squats for a bigger butt (see nowloss.com/butt). yes it's an isolation movement and 99% of the time I'd agree that compound movements are always best but in this case (being that your glutes are one of the bigger muscles in your body)...

the hip thrust or butt brdige beats squats and deadlifts hands down. I worked up to 405 on the hip thrust for 6 reps and believe me... it works!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yes; start at whatever is hard and challenging for YOU. However I as a PETITE FEMALE (I seriously have rarely seen anyone more smaller than myself) cannot imagine that 70 lbs hip thrust being SUPER HARD for anyone except if they are physically challenged/handicapped/300 lbs overweight. A normal woman should be able to do that easily and if not then it most likely is all in her head.

And again - this attitude is what will scare away newbies. For any lurkers, please listen to Ginger's advice or know that if you have to start out under 70lbs for this particular exercise (even if you are a normal woman or man) that it is okay. Just do it and progress regularly :smile:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Hip thrust is different form squat.... People can generally go much heavier at hip thrusts than their squat and it's fine to start a hip thrust at your body weight.... Most people's hip thrusts are at least 2x their squats....

My bad, I misread what the was referring to. Still, there are so many people just starting out suggesting out I hate to actually see any solid numbers thrown out. Heavy lifting if what is heavy lifting to an individual, so everyone should be starting at a low number and increasing according to ability..
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Glute bridges and hip thrusts are fantastic. I have destroyed my lower back with deadlifts and bb squats, so they are excellent for me. So there. Squats and deadlifts are not the best for everyone. Get over it.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    look, i didn't mean to cause a debate over how much weight to use but I think some of you are missing the point and let's stop focusing on "HEAVY"

the point is that if you want growth of any body part. pick a weight that keeps you in the 6-12 rep range. and yes some may argue 5-10, 5-12 or 8-12 is better but picking weights that are TOO LIGHT where you can carry on a conversion with your friend or do more that 12-to-20 reps is not going to give you any results
  • jstarz002
    Options

My bad, I misread what the was referring to. Still, there are so many people just starting out suggesting out I hate to actually see any solid numbers thrown out. Heavy lifting if what is heavy lifting to an individual, so everyone should be starting at a low number and increasing according to ability..

Yes but once you feel comfortable make sure that you are gritting your teeth and pushing balls to the wall when doing your sets. Like going into battle; give it your all like your life depends on it. I see too many people just going through the motions at the gym and it looks like it is too easy. When i work out at the gym i scare the guys with my intensity. I slam weights, grunt, moan, groan, make faces. I put in WERK.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Glute bridges and hip thrusts are fantastic. I have destroyed my lower back with deadlifts and bb squats, so they are excellent for me. So there. Squats and deadlifts are not the best for everyone. Get over it.

If you destroyed your back with bb squats and deads then you were doing them wrong. Don't blame the exercise for your own mistakes.

That said, the best advice for any new lifter is to start with the bar weight and work up from there. Too much too soon is a common problem. I'm not afraid to say that I still start my warm up sets for squats, for example, with just the bar and work up. Yes, you want to lift heavy. Yes, you want to push yourself. But not at the cost of good form and increasing the risk of injury.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Joy-joy and anh720: stop panicking 70lb is really not that heavy - this would be a fairly easy starting place for deads as well. They're not saying you should start OHP or squatting with it so take it easy. No offence intended ladies, try it out before you go berserk - it is really quite light and you would have a hard time injuring yourself with it. My teenage daughters started out a LOT heavier than this and they are fine :)

OP haven't tried these yet (relatively new to lifting)' thanks for the info.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I posted this is the 'flat bum' thread but thought I'd add it here since this seems to be the hot glute bridge thread:

While hip thrusts may be effective for glute activation, if someone is inexperienced to the degree that they need to ask for movements to build their *kitten*, hip thrusts aren't the first place I'd point them.

If you have to pick one, I'd still point to squats followed by deadlifts as basic builders. My own results with hip thrusts as even an assistance exercise are moderate to the point where I don't much bother with them. That's not to say someone else wouldn't have more success but I'd put them in the assistance category as opposed to a number one 'go to' lift particularly for and inexperienced individual.