Skinny/Fit people trying to have Fat people problems

Options

Replies

• erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know I was a bit surprised to learn that every person I always considered to be physically amazing -- or even mentally amazing -- if you get to talking with them, pretty soon they say, "Ugh, I hate [x] about myself!" Everyone has a few of those things. That's both liberating and a little sad . . . but it is the human condition, seems like.
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Being skinny does not equal being confident.

This may be true, but skinny people can tie their shoes and wipe their *kitten* easier than a fat person. That's nothing to do with confidence, it's just how it is. Those are fat people problems.

That may be true but that's not what the OP was referring to, if he had said it like that then it may have ended up a different discussion.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to be fat...sometimes it takes awhile for perceptions of yourself to change. Some days I feel fit and awesome...other days I feel like my old fat self and that's what I see in the mirror...so some fit and "skinny" people still do have fat people problems.

This is me! Sometimes I think loosing the weight was easier than changing the way I look at myself.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Everyone should be able to express the concerns/frustrations they have with their body without being attacked or ridiculed. Just because a size 8 person can look at a size 4 person and think 'she's got it made' doesn't mean the size 4 person thinks that. We all need to stop comparing ourselves to other people and just focus on improving ourselves in terms of what's an improvement for our own individual selves. Bottom line, everyone can improve themselves physically, mentally and emotionally on some level. No one ever reaches a point where they are done.

For example, I'm a size 0-2 (depending on the particular clothes brand). Sometimes (a lot of the time) I can't even find clothes that fit well- too baggy, etc. So, do you think I have the absolute perfect body? Of course not! I have problem spots like everyone else, and I'm very self conscious. But I never, ever talk about my diet & exercise endeavors and my fitness/body goals, because if I did, people would think I'm anorexic or just being a *****- offending the 'fat' people. 'Fat' people can talk all day about how many pounds they want to lose, where they want to see themselves in a year, etc. 'Skinny' people on the other hand can forget engaging in that type of convo- unless they want to be ridiculed for having an eating disorder.

What's worse is women who are bodybuilders. I'm just starting out in the bodybuilding arena, so I have a long way to go still. I don't talk to people about my bodybuilding schemes because I'm just a 100 lb girl, so what do I know. In fact, my boyfriend's friends came over to the house one day (I wasn't there), and they saw all my home gym weight stuff, protein powder, etc. and said to my bf "cool, you've been working out." And he said "nope that's not my stuff, it's my gf's." And they said "ohhh...well that's embarrassing." It didn't bother him because he's very confident and secure in himself, but it bothered me!

So that's some insight into the world of a 100 lb, size 0 girl (and no, I'm not naturally skinny with a super fast metabolism). I have problems just like everyone else.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Why would you think that a person asking a question that had nothing to do with you was trying to make you feel bad? There is enough actual jerkitude in the world, no need to invent more!

"jerkitude" is my new favorite word. :drinker: It goes well with my word "jackassian".
  • Jrunner
    Jrunner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The name of the topic is stupid. I don't consider my problems to be "fat people" problems. They are human problems.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    "I feel my problems are worse than yours therefore yours are insignificant, as only what I think matters."

Quick translation.

This.
  • 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm fat tattooed and bringing sexy back!!! Skinny, Fat, Tall or Short we are all human and we have self esteem / identity & acceptance issues. I ate a pint of Ice cream and six mini cones last night afterward I felt guilty about it and ran 5.5 miles this morning. Mr. Six pack you go shirtless pal if you feel like doing so. If I feel like jiggling while I'm jogging don't judge me either because maybe I will be feeling sexy that day so don't burst my bubble. As for the fast guy whining about the skinny guy problems remember what we don't like about others is often a refection of what we don't like about ourselves. Just sayin is all.....
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    He may just be looking for some positive reinforcement... either way this whole thread has me feeling the need to refer to my psychology book lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Trust me if I had a choice.......I'd love to feel like I was all that and a bag of chips! But I don't I am insecure, scared and unsure of my body and my confidence. You lose a 150 lbs, it really throws your world off balance....physically and emotionally!!!

When ever I purchase a new dress or clothing I am not sure of, or if I should be wearing, I send a pic of me wearing it to my female friends for approval.....not that I need the boost of confidence, but because of being insecure, and feeling less than adequate for several years of my adult life.

This is a place for support, and understanding....since we all should have the same common goal!

This is perfect!! Well said. I feel this way everyday of my life!

Agreed this is me as well.
  • TheFatFox
    Options
    I have issues, I know.

The example I gave was one issue.

I'm going to go talk to my shrink now.

I realize that these days that we can't rant. So I should go talk to the shrink rather than publicly stating my opinion.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I go shirtless and let my stretchmarks breathe. It's hilarious to me that I can do this now and didn't when I had the 'perfect' little body. Confidence is fun to have when you finally do get it.

I agree, everyone has their insecurities.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    "I feel my problems are worse than yours therefore yours are insignificant, as only what I think matters."

Quick translation.

This is so true! I tend to be an overachiever, so in the eyes of most other people, I tend to come across as being better than them. But I don't view myself that way at all. In fact, I really don't talk much because I don't want to come across as boastful or superior. I've actually had people tell me to stop talking, or that "I don't know how it is" or "I have no right to complain because my situation is worse etc" Basically I've found that instead of trying to engage in friendly conversation, it's easier to just not talk, because then you can't offend someone who 'has it worse off than you.'
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I have issues, I know.

I realize that these days that we can't rant. So I should go talk to the shrink rather than publicly stating my opinion.

No you ranted, the majority just think you're an *kitten*. You're allowed to rant but once you put it out there don't be shocked if you get a negative reaction
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    I have issues, I know.

You can rant....you just have to be prepared for ranting in return :happy:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have issues, I know.

Oh no, do not make this an everyone ganged up on my post. You personally called someone out and now you want to feel wronged? You were in the wrong assuming that other people don't have issues with their bodies regardless of how YOU think they look. Next time make a general statement not calling anyone out in particular it's rude!!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Being skinny does not equal being confident.

This may be true, but skinny people can tie their shoes and wipe their *kitten* easier than a fat person. That's nothing to do with confidence, it's just how it is. Those are fat people problems.

That may be true but that's not what the OP was referring to, if he had said it like that then it may have ended up a different discussion.

Well.. "Fat people problems" is in the title.. which is what I was referring to. As I said, THOSE, are fat people problems.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I have issues, I know.

No you ranted, the majority just think you're an *kitten*. You're allowed to rant but once you put it out there don't be shocked if you get a negative reaction

Ok. This is exactly right and a lesson that is needed. OP is butthurt because we apparently sent the message to him that he's not allowed to rant. In the thread he started because he didn't like someone else complaining. That's really a douche move there.
    But what else have we learned? Getting your goal body doesn't fix everything.

There are not fat people problems or fit people problems. Just that all people have problems. If you're going to use a modifier to "problems " you should do it in a way that acknowledges that in the scheme of things, your complaint is petty (omg I just bought my iphone and now there's a newer version /firstworldproblems) any other use makes you seem territorial and entitle about your butthurt which is douchey.

Everyone (except women) can run without a shirt. Six pack guy and OP. Corollary : all women with legs arms and a head can wear a bikini.

Everyone quit looking at others with envy thinking if only I had what that guy has, my life would be awesome. Great way to keep yourself miserable.

Do you. Quit worrying about someone else doing them.
  • FMaddyF94
    Options
    Have you considered that the "problems" these people are experiencing aren't actually tied to their weight, so much as their self perception or perception of the world around them? Fat people and thin people can, shockingly enough, have the same "problems".

Thumbs up, well said :)
  • sunsmiles579
    Options
    I think the point is not who feels insecure and who does not, but how considerate you are of others around you. I have a similar situation with a friend who went from a size 6 (her fat clothes) to a 2. She refers to her fat all the time, points out tiny rolls and complains of "saddle bags" while in tiny, tight running clothes. She chooses to make these complaints in a room filled with women whose "skinny clothes" are a size 14. She won't hesitate to tell everyone how far she ran, how much time she spends at boot camp, etc. Is this person really that clueless, stupid or rude? Save these complaints for your therapist or your boyfriend. I believe she has a lot of issues and is looking for people to compliment her.
    Choose your audience carefully, you might be offending someone by what you say.