Replies

• MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this post
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i work out for looks.....cause i want a hot chicks to lust over me........just one mans honest opinion
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think this is accurate. Here in the U.S. I think most people would attribute such an aspiration(the desire to have no visible muscle mass) to homosexuals. Of course, there are homosexuals who do want muscle mass but if a man didn't want muscle mass he would be presumed to be gay.

tumblr_m9qfobMxTG1r76lino1_500.gif
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    sure, every guy wants to take off his shirt at the beach and look like a pile of cookie dough ...bahahahahahaha

I work out because I want to be strong, fit, athletic, etc..and if looking good with my clothes off is an additional benefit, then so be it...

I am on vacation at a beach location, and yes, I see lots of guys old and young without shirts that look "like a pike of cookie dough..." and they don't seem to care.

My husband never care for the muscular look; not his preference, and I also know that he is not willing to put the exercise and diet effort to achieve it either. But he is a great man and a loyal spouse even if his stomach sticks a little bit right now.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    This thread needs some Yoga ...

... jus' saying.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    i work out for looks.....cause i want a hot chicks to lust over me........just one mans honest opinion

I do it for strength too, but this. There is nothing like the way a woman looks at your body, when you know she really likes what she sees.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    double posting, sorry
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Is the OP really asking about muscle definition? Because muscle definition is down to a low bf%, not how much muscle you have.

Pro powerlifter can have minimal definition due to the advantages of having higher bf%.

Long distance runner can have greater definition, but much lower muscle mass.

And really, people have the right to look how the *kitten* they want. Why get your panties in a bunch about it?
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't want or need the bulkier look that most people associate with fit. I'm perfectly content and healthy being scrawny. If that means my dating pool is smaller, so be it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you are male and you dislike the look of any kind of muscle definition on your body please make it known.

So the question is wide open to interpretation and will get a wide range of very diverse answers.

Do you mean "dislike" or do you really mean "ambivalent"?

I would probably put myself in the latter camp, I train because I enjoy it and any aesthetic effect is largely secondary. My training is running, cycling and rowing. All three of these have the effect of increasing muscle definition, the former two broadly around lower limbs, the latter also having a pretty profound upper body and torso effect.

My reasons for training are around health, enjoyment and improving my stamina.

So the other side of the coin, I'm not going to train to "define muscle", in part because it doesn't meet my objectives, and in part because the type of training I'd need to do bores me to tears. I don't like being stuck inside; hate having to be in a gym.

So given that description, how do you interpret the response?
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    At the risk of being accosted for not being a "real man" et cetera, I've always been slender, and I intentionally accentuated and quite enjoyed the aesthetic in my twenties.

Not all men want to be muscular, and they certainly don't need to be.
    165628__ziggy_l.jpg

AWESOME!!! :heart:
  • cats847
    Options
    Actually, It's not racist....it's a cultural thing.

I can't speak for Korea -- a lot of their male celebs are pretty bulky -- but as for Japan, there are simply different aesthetic standards for men. Over there, men are more focused on their appearance through fashion/style, hair, and grooming. The average Japanese man doesn't care about being muscular, he rather focuses on these other aspects.

Obviously there are exceptions, just like anywhere else -- look at all the MMA fighters coming out of Japan. But aside from professional athletes, being extremely "ripped" and "jacked" in Japan is considered a part of gay subculture.

Different culture -- different tastes and different preferences. That's just the way it is.

Coincidentally, I actually had a conversation about this phenomenon a few weeks ago -- with my husband, who is Japanese :flowerforyou:
    I think this is accurate. Here in the U.S. I think most people would attribute such an aspiration(the desire to have no visible muscle mass) to homosexuals. Of course, there are homosexuals who do want muscle mass but if a man didn't want muscle mass he would be presumed to be gay.

So much generalization and stereotype. I just can't....

ETA- When Koreans and Japanese are put in the same category in the first place... yeah.

Of course, but that's how society operates. Just like Hispanic people in the U.S., they are routinely lumped into one category without appreciation or acknowledgement of their cultural difference. I mean, women with short haircuts and tomboy-esque style are presumed to be lesbians. To act like the stereotypes don't exist would be naive at best and downright foolish at worst.

Not acknowledging it is one thing... feeding it is quite another.

I don't think you quite understand the difference between "feeding stereotypes" and discussing social/cultural phenomena. I think the person who originally brought up the topic regarding Korean and Japanese men simply found some similarities between how men are presented in the two countries' popular media and entertainment. No one EVER said they are the same thing, so I don't know why you are so focused on that.

Secondly, since maybe you took offense to my own post somehow, I'll try to simplify it even further:

1. Japanese people have their own unique tastes and preferences which don't always match Western tastes. Their portrayal of "the ideal man" in mainstream media is often quite different than Hollywood's. And this is what Japanese women may prefer. If you research what a "host club" is and the BODY TYPES of the men that work in such places, you will understand that there is far less emphasis on muscularity, and much more on fashion and grooming.

2. Japanese people, just like every other society, may form specific stereotypes about people who DON'T care about fitting into this mainstream ideal -- hence, overly muscular men are often seen as a part of the gay community.

3. No one ever said the Japanese viewpoint regarding mainstream body types is good, or bad. It's just different.

And that's really as simple as I can put it.

If you still think that it's somehow so offensively "RACIST" or "feeding stereotypes" to acknowledge that people of different cultures may have differing views when it comes to men's body types, then there's really not much else I can say. Cheers! :drinker:
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    ANY is too strong of a word.

I am not working out to get 'jacked'. I work out because I want tone, I want some definition but not crazy bulk.

I get that some women like that, but it's just not me.

AKA I'd rather look like Adam Levine, Justin Timberlake or Bob Harper than the Rock.
    To add...I want to be an athlete (I play baseball), I want flexibility, agility, speed, quickness, and power.

The rock isn't athletic?
    He was when he played football at Miami...now he's just huge.

Maybe Arnold is a better example?

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me. I want the quickness, agility, speed, etc. combined with the strength. The only guy that big to ever have that is Bo Jackson :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Is the OP really asking about muscle definition? Because muscle definition is down to a low bf%, not how much muscle you have.

Pro powerlifter can have minimal definition due to the advantages of having higher bf%.

Long distance runner can have greater definition, but much lower muscle mass.

And really, people have the right to look how the *kitten* they want. Why get your panties in a bunch about it?

LOL OP is obviously trying to find justification for his desire to not work out and have zero definition...what is that old saying..'birds of a feather, flock together...'
    which is fine....but don't tell me that there is something wrong with me because I want to be athletic, fit, and strong...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I can't speak for Korea -- a lot of their male celebs are pretty bulky -- but as for Japan, there are simply different aesthetic standards for men. Over there, men are more focused on their appearance through fashion/style, hair, and grooming. The average Japanese man doesn't care about being muscular, he rather focuses on these other aspects.

Obviously there are exceptions, just like anywhere else -- look at all the MMA fighters coming out of Japan. But aside from professional athletes, being extremely "ripped" and "jacked" in Japan is considered a part of gay subculture.

Different culture -- different tastes and different preferences. That's just the way it is.

Coincidentally, I actually had a conversation about this phenomenon a few weeks ago -- with my husband, who is Japanese :flowerforyou:

ETA- When Koreans and Japanese are put in the same category in the first place... yeah.

Of course, but that's how society operates. Just like Hispanic people in the U.S., they are routinely lumped into one category without appreciation or acknowledgement of their cultural difference. I mean, women with short haircuts and tomboy-esque style are presumed to be lesbians. To act like the stereotypes don't exist would be naive at best and downright foolish at worst.

I don't think you quite understand the difference between "feeding stereotypes" and discussing social/cultural phenomena. I think the person who originally brought up the topic regarding Korean and Japanese men simply found some similarities between how men are presented in the two countries' popular media and entertainment. No one EVER said they are the same thing, so I don't know why you are so focused on that.

Secondly, since maybe you took offense to my own post somehow, I'll try to simplify it even further:

1. Japanese people have their own unique tastes and preferences which don't always match Western tastes. Their portrayal of "the ideal man" in mainstream media is often quite different than Hollywood's. And this is what Japanese women may prefer. If you research what a "host club" is and the BODY TYPES of the men that work in such places, you will understand that there is far less emphasis on muscularity, and much more on fashion and grooming.

2. Japanese people, just like every other society, may form specific stereotypes about people who DON'T care about fitting into this mainstream ideal -- hence, overly muscular men are often seen as a part of the gay community.

3. No one ever said the Japanese viewpoint regarding mainstream body types is good, or bad. It's just different.

If you still think that it's somehow so offensively "RACIST" or "feeding stereotypes" to acknowledge that people of different cultures may have differing views when it comes to men's body types, then there's really not much else I can say. Cheers! :drinker:

Yeah right because every Japanese and Korean person want the same thing. Right. :yawn:
    I didn't need you to simplify your post, it was quite understood. I am glad you know exactly what the person who originally clumped Koreans and Japanese is the same category meant. Right.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would say most korean and Japanese men would fall under this category.
    As a Korean...

WTF am I reading?

Agreed.
  • cats847
    Options

Yeah right because every Japanese and Korean person want the same thing. Right. :yawn:
    I didn't need you to simplify your post, it was quite understood. I am glad you know exactly what the person who originally clumped Koreans and Japanese is the same category meant. Right.

Please find the parts of the original post that said "every Japanese and Korean person want the same thing." I really want to see them, because I must have missed them.

Or actually, please just find the word "every," and then get back to me :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Please find the parts of the original post that said "every Japanese and Korean person want the same thing." I really want to see them, because I must have missed them.

Or actually, please just find the word "every," and then get back to me :smile:

talk about a derail..

how did we go from guys that don't want to have any muscle definition to a dissertation on Japanese and Korean cultures..??????????????????????