BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH AND HOW IT SCREWS UP THE NFL

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just so you know... in 2011 an Adweek/Harris poll had 55% of women in the US watching football. Seems to me "most" women are watching football.

Get that out of here..stereotypes only!! That's like pointing out women generally pay lower insurance premiums because they are safer drivers.
  • 2B230
    2B230 Posts: 24
    Options
    So someone states that don't like the pink on NFL uniforms. Last time I looked it was ok to have an opinion. I am a guy who does not like the pink on the uniforms either. Its just commercializing the NFL.

As far as where the money really goes anyway...don't get me started....:angry:

Yes and people have an opinion on his opinion...And the thread title is all caps.

And yes, the NFL was very hip and underground and emo before breat cancer awareness came along and now its all commericial.

HAVING AN OPINION ON HIS OPINION IS FINE. BASHING HIM SAYING HE IS RUDE AND INSENITIVE IS WRONG.

As far as the NFL being hip before cancer awareness, please search the threads for foods that stimulate the brain.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    First up, I lost my mother to breast cancer last year. So you can be assured that I wanted, and still want, a cure.

But this awareness business is out of hand. It's become a way to companies (and yes, that includes the NFL) to exhibit their support for charity in the most visible way possible - and make more money as a result. When a charity is so over-the-top recognizable, it's going to vacuum up support from everything else. Does anyone really think so many businesses support breast cancer because it's truly an important issue to them, or is it because ischemic heart disease, lung cancer, stroke and lower respiratory diseases don't have such a recognizable logo and don't shift as much product?

Breast cancer is a topic that triggers an emotional response. Sufferers are someone's mother, someone's grandmother. But heart disease kills more people than all cancers combined*. Lung cancer kills nearly five times as many people, and 50% more women than breast cancer**. Yet funding is $13,000+ per death by breast cancer, compared to $1,600 per death by lung cancer***.

The focus on one highly emotional, highly visible disease is ridiculous, and of detriment to society as a whole.

*CDC leading cause of death final 2010 data
    **2013 Cancer Facts & Figures - American Cancer Society
    ***NCI funding figures, 2006

THIS! Pink for breast cancer has become a brand. They make more money then any other charity, and the NFL (smarties, pepsi, and what ever major corporation that has a pink ribbon on them) makes a butt ton of money too! where's the research? where is the money going? why isn't it cured yet? I've had 2 cancer scares, one for breast cancer and one uterus cancer...what colour of ribbon is uterus cancer? nobody can tell me off the top of their head.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    So someone states that don't like the pink on NFL uniforms. Last time I looked it was ok to have an opinion. I am a guy who does not like the pink on the uniforms either. Its just commercializing the NFL.

As far as where the money really goes anyway...don't get me started....:angry:

Yes and people have an opinion on his opinion...And the thread title is all caps.

And yes, the NFL was very hip and underground and emo before breat cancer awareness came along and now its all commericial.

HAVING AN OPINION ON HIS OPINION IS FINE. BASHING HIM SAYING HE IS RUDE AND INSENITIVE IS WRONG.

As far as the NFL being hip before cancer awareness, please search the threads for foods that stimulate the brain.

Well thats your opinion, and it is a little too morally absolute for my taste, especially concerning matters of uniform color.

Regarding your second idea, I am nothing, if not coachable. I searched the forums for "foods that stimulate the brain". here is what I got. What would you recommend now? I'm not sure I got what i needed. Should i start a new thread?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1106238-addicted-to-food-really?hl=foods+that+stimulate+the+brain

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098978-need-to-stop-replacing-food-for-happiness?hl=foods+that+stimulate+the+brain#posts-16965024

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1054194-what-do-you-think-about-food-addiction?hl=foods+that+stimulate+the+brain#posts-16192806
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Just so you know... in 2011 an Adweek/Harris poll had 55% of women in the US watching football. Seems to me "most" women are watching football.

Get that out of here..stereotypes only!! That's like pointing out women generally pay lower insurance premiums because they are safer drivers.

Does that really mean women are safer or men are more reckless?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Can we please stop calling them "boobies"? I hate that so much. :angry:
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Ok... Titties.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Unusually large mutated mammary glands?
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

Ok... Titties.

I actually like Ta-tas :laugh:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Bresstesses.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My Titans are 3-1 so far this year. If wearing pink gets them through October with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm, they should wear pink helmets, as well...

The thing I hate is that companies have figured out pink is a great marketing tool, and may or may not be giving all that money to Breast Cancer research. "Think before you Pink" encourages education on where exactly the money goes.

And not ball cancer, but prostrate cancer is getting some attention from athletes with the whole Movember, growing your beard out thing... :drinker:
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It is awareness for a good cause...I have no issues with it at all and a lot of it is the player's choice I believe on how much pink they wear. Clearly they dont mind supporting the awareness, so why should we. I think its all good!
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    It is awareness for a good cause...I have no issues with it at all and a lot of it is the player's choice I believe on how much pink they wear. Clearly they dont mind supporting the awareness, so why should we. I think its all good!

This is why we are friends. :) love your outlook!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What about prostate cancer awareness month? What colors should be worn?
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It's just his opinion, you guys.

I happen to love the fact the the NFL does the pink jerseys because it DOES raise a lot of money during the month. Breast cancer is something that has greatly affected me.... I honestly do think it makes people aware. They see the jersey and they know exactly why it is pink.

But, to each his own, right?
  • ldrosophila
    Options

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/30/presidential-proclamation-national-prostate-cancer-awareness-month-2013

Why the NFL didnt support the serious threat of prostate cancer is beyond me, but yes there is a month

Oh no I lied...

http://www.multivu.com/mnr/63352-nfl-and-urology-care-foundation-national-prostate-cancer-awareness-month
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

No color. Just a Mo.

http://us.movember.com/about/
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    So yes there is a awareness for a disease that only affects men, and you can believe if I was asked to wear a stupid color to support the men in my life I sure as hell would.

But that's coming from a woman who shaved her head and raised money when her brother was diagnosed with skin cancer.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Isn't that why sports teams have white outs at their games?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    First up, I lost my mother to breast cancer last year. So you can be assured that I wanted, and still want, a cure.

But this awareness business is out of hand. It's become a way to companies (and yes, that includes the NFL) to exhibit their support for charity in the most visible way possible - and make more money as a result. When a charity is so over-the-top recognizable, it's going to vacuum up support from everything else. Does anyone really think so many businesses support breast cancer because it's truly an important issue to them, or is it because ischemic heart disease, lung cancer, stroke and lower respiratory diseases don't have such a recognizable logo and don't shift as much product?

Breast cancer is a topic that triggers an emotional response. Sufferers are someone's mother, someone's grandmother. But heart disease kills more people than all cancers combined*. Lung cancer kills nearly five times as many people, and 50% more women than breast cancer**. Yet funding is $13,000+ per death by breast cancer, compared to $1,600 per death by lung cancer***.

The focus on one highly emotional, highly visible disease is ridiculous, and of detriment to society as a whole.

*CDC leading cause of death final 2010 data
    **2013 Cancer Facts & Figures - American Cancer Society
    ***NCI funding figures, 2006

These statistics are skewed based on biases.

Personally, I'd rather see more money go to childhood cancer research. I'm sure NFL players would wear any color to support that, too.

The selfish person in me is grateful for the money that flows into breast cancer research. It saved my life and gave me access to one of the world's top surgical teams. That never would have happened without funding.

Okay, so breast cancer doesn't kill as many women as lung cancer (which has a 9% survival rate after 5 years for women and 14% overall for men and women -- that is abysmal), but breast cancer affects far more women, 1 in 8.

A better analogy would be the amount of money that is donated per person who is diagnosed, and not per person who dies of the disease. With breast cancers, doctors are approaching a 100% 5-year survival for Stage 1, 93% for Stage 2, and 72% for Stage 3. It drops to 22% for Stage 4, which very often means lung, bone and/or brain metastasis.* How did that happen? Funding and awareness.

*American Cancer Society, Breast cancer survival rates, revised 10/02/13 http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/overviewguide/breast-cancer-overview-survival-rates

This is better than just 2 years ago when the Stage 4 survival rate was 15%.

I'd say the funding and awareness is saving a lot of women. A whole hell of a lot of women.