my husband isn't supportive...

Options

Replies

• LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    To everyone that was supportive and encouraging and gave real advice, Thank you. I really appreciate it and it helps. I'll just ignore him from now on and focus on myself.

I cook all the meals and he eats what I cook or he doesn't eat or makes himself something.. And he actually likes eating healthy.. And he's 150-160 (goes back and forth) and 6'1". He actually needs to gain some muscle... And he said if I get skinny then he feels that he'd have to actually work on himself.

He also said that if I got skinny/lostweight/stuck with it... that it'd motivate him to gain weight and muscle.. but then adds in all the negative comments too.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Based on a couple of responses here, maybe every time my husband's ex wife tries to get sober we should remind her how she failed all the other times?

No, but you should approach the situation with caution and not get too invested in her appearent success because there is a high chance of failure.

I have an aunt who's a drug addict and she used to come around, claiming she was going to get clean, every few months. We'd let her back into our lives, let her back into her daughter's life, get all of our hopes up...and then she'd vanish, usually with the contents of someone's home disappearing right along with her. Not to mention breaking the hearts of everyone around her. Again.

So now if she pops up she gets "That's great Mona, we hope it works out." and she certainly can't stay at anyone's house anymore.

How does that relate to losing weight at all? I've never hopped on some fads. I've never taken diet pills. I've never once tried to lose weight in our marriage....

If anything, HE'S the one that says he's going to do something and falls back on it.

IDK, how did that woman's husband's alcoholic ex relate?

Because she was saying if you see a pattern then you should call out the fact that they will likely fail again. BS.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    I see this so much on this site, So many insecure husbands afraid they're going to lose their wives once they lose weight.

Just stick with it, see if it motivates him to start getting into the gym too, but also tell him to act like a man instead of bullying his wife.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    My DH is also 27.. someone asked.
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    My boyfriend is the same way. I have just started not telling him about it and I just exercise. And when he wants me to do something when I need to exercise, I just explain that I'm going to exercise and he'll need to do whatever it is. I told him if I slip up I could end up not doing it at all. He's coming around. Yours will too.

Just keep proving to yourself that you can do it. Don't look for him for support. He'll come around when he decides to stop being an asshat.

Feel free to add me. :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Based on a couple of responses here, maybe every time my husband's ex wife tries to get sober we should remind her how she failed all the other times?

No, but you should approach the situation with caution and not get too invested in her appearent success because there is a high chance of failure.

I have an aunt who's a drug addict and she used to come around, claiming she was going to get clean, every few months. We'd let her back into our lives, let her back into her daughter's life, get all of our hopes up...and then she'd vanish, usually with the contents of someone's home disappearing right along with her. Not to mention breaking the hearts of everyone around her. Again.

So now if she pops up she gets "That's great Mona, we hope it works out." and she certainly can't stay at anyone's house anymore.

How does that relate to losing weight at all? I've never hopped on some fads. I've never taken diet pills. I've never once tried to lose weight in our marriage....

If anything, HE'S the one that says he's going to do something and falls back on it.

Because she was saying if you see a pattern then you should call out the fact that they will likely fail again. BS.

That's not what she said, that's how you interpreted what she said.

She actually said his words weren't tactful (Implying she doesn't think he should have said what he said the way he said it) but understandable (She can see where he'd feel that way.) None of that equals her saying that 'if you see a pattern of failure you should call out the fact they will likely fail again".

You made a very serious leap in order to judge what was actually a very unoffensive post, when compared to all the "Abuse! Asshat! C^&%!' comments because you didn't like that someone might actually look at it from another point of view.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That's abuse in my book. Use his negativity as fuel, and get your revenge by getting your body back! Don't let it hurt you, just prove to him that he's an *kitten*!!!

:heart:

I'm three pages behind and trying to catch up.

Meanwhile, can someone please let me know if anyone has called the authorities for her yet?

I don't want a full spoiler on where this thread is going...

...but maybe just a clue. MFP has a tendency to overreact to some things...(meh, *all* things)...and I'm just curious where this one ends up.

ETA: Right on cue:
    Are you serious? SMH.........Go get drunk and act dumb with her husband.

Oh, MFP. Never change.

Never.

Change.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you've been married 5 years and have always been a big girl. Do you have a history of good intentions to lose weight that fall to the wayside after a while? If so, while his words aren't the most tactful, they are somewhat understandable.

Are you serious? SMH.........Go get drunk and act dumb with her husband.

Wow. So do you always get so defensive and aggressive when someone else presents a different point of view on a situation?

No I get aggressive when I see someone on a support site adding on to the negativity/abuse. I guess we all have different definitions of abuse. To each their own. I'm just glad I don't live that way.

Cadori was not in the least abusive. She presented a different take on the situation and maybe you should just read what was written instead of imagining how you think she was coming at the OP.

Regardless, Cadori's point IS valid and I for one agree with it. But even if I didn't, I can understand where she is coming from and appreciate differences in opinions and points of view.

100% honest, there was no venom behind my words. I think taking something like this and jumping to calling it abuse is a bit hasty without finding out more details.

How many times does a wife feel dissatisfied with her husband's contribution to chores and if he starts pitching in thinks "Great, but how long will this last?"

I think it's normal for people who have witnessed a pattern of behavior to expect that pattern to continue. That is why, instead of replying "ZOMG! He's a jerk! Leave his abusive hiney!!" I asked if perhaps this was a pattern for the OP. Wouldn't it make her feel better to see that there was possibly a legitimate reason for his thoughtless words instead of having a ton of people tell her she's abused? If her response to my question was that no, she's never tried to get in shape over the 5 years of her marriage, then that would change my response.

The implication that I live in a world where abuse is tolerated is, at best, laughable.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    100% honest, there was no venom behind my words. I think taking something like this and jumping to calling it abuse is a bit hasty without finding out more details.

How many times does a wife feel dissatisfied with her husband's contribution to chores and if he starts pitching in thinks "Great, but how long will this last?"

I think it's normal for people who have witnessed a pattern of behavior to expect that pattern to continue. That is why, instead of replying "ZOMG! He's a jerk! Leave his abusive hiney!!" I asked if perhaps this was a pattern for the OP. Wouldn't it make her feel better to see that there was possibly a legitimate reason for his thoughtless words instead of having a ton of people tell her she's abused? If her response to my question was that no, she's never tried to get in shape over the 5 years of her marriage, then that would change my response.

The implication that I live in a world where abuse is tolerated is, at best, laughable.

that is my reply.
  • Cadori
    Options

~sigh~

I said the words were thoughtless, not tactful, not something I would say. I was asking for clarification to see if there was maybe another explanation before jumping on the abuse wagon with my pitchfork.
  • sizzle74
    Options

She actually said his words weren't tactful (Implying she doesn't think he should have said what he said the way he said it) but understandable (She can see where he'd feel that way.) None of that equals her saying that 'if you see a pattern of failure you should call out the fact they will likely fail again".

You made a very serious leap in order to judge what was actually a very unoffensive post, when compared to all the "Abuse! Asshat! C^&%!' comments because you didn't like that someone might actually look at it from another point of view.

Maybe just I'm married to a man that would never speak to me that way and I just don't "get" it.........
  • sizzle74
    Options
    With that I'm out. Good luck OP. :flowerforyou:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    so he's now a Middle-Aged Man in Lycra

Clearly this is a cautionary tale.

Thank you for your wisdom. :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Maybe just I'm married to a man that would never speak to me that way and I just don't "get" it.........

Meaningful relationship advice requires empathy which requires thinking outside of your own personal situation and "getting" it...or at least seeing how they could possibly feel in their circumstances. If you can't do that, then you might want to temper the conviction of your advice and your condemnation of others' advice.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I once asked my husband if I was getting fat. He told me yes.

That remains the nicest most considerate thing he's ever told me. He could have said no and blown smoke up my bum to protect my precious feelings. Instead he told me the truth and I appreciate that.
  • Cadori
    Options

that is my reply.

OK then, that is why I was asking for clarification. When you joined MFP in July, was weight loss not your goal?

Is he supportive of other endeavors you take on? Have you started on any long term goal related plan that he has been less than supportive before? College, business, lessons, anything involving your kids where he reacted negatively?
  • Cadori
    Options

I am too. My husband is the kindest man I know and has never said a harsh thing to me. We've disagreed on things, of course, but he's never said anything unkind to me. The OP's husband's reaction is not one I would experience. I'm still not going to jump to abuse as my default diagnosis of the situation.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The quoting is killing me....
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

that is my reply.

OK then, that is why I was asking for clarification. When you joined MFP in July, was weight loss not your goal?

Is he supportive of other endeavors you take on? Have you started on any long term goal related plan that he has been less than supportive before? College, business, lessons, anything involving your kids where he reacted negatively?

I joined because my friend told me it was good to track your calories and possibly lose weight. I tracked for one day and never again till now. He never even knew about it.

And, No. I've seriously never tried anything and quit. Ever in our marriage.. That he knows about at least.. and that i can think of.

In fact, I supported us alone for 6 months with my home business that we both agreed that since he's making money I should stop. And it's been good.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    The quoting is killing me....

~bang~ You're dead. In a forum. Where quoting is a regular event.

Whoops I came back.