Goal Weight for November: 138lbs

Weigh In Days: Saturday
    11/3: 140.6 lbs.
    11/10: 140 lbs.
    11/17:
    11/24:
    11/30:

@Ghlt4 - great time for your 5k - aren't PB rewarding

@chevy - sometimes the only sensible person to quote is yourself!!

@everyone - have a wonderful week-end and celebrate how well you are doing with your commitment to your health and well being (one aspect of which is a slow and steady weight loss) - oh and that you survived Halloween without too big a surge in weight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    My first 5K in the "Eating Era"

I had a "quick fix mentality" and I tried to lose too fast by eating too little!

I know that this is a funny title, but it is so true. I have been trying to lose weight now for 25 years. I have dropped 10-20-30 lbs to see it all come back because every time I did it ... I used a method that was not sustainable. I ate 1000-1200 calories a day and did not eat back my exercise calories. When you are 5'7" man with a starting weight of 200-210 lbs, I am sorrry, but that is way too little. --> My goal loss was always 3-4 lbs per week - I was on "fire" (so I thought).

I wandered in the fad diet, messed up, theme park

I have also tried every fad diet known to man to lose weight: Keto with keto strips, Fit for life, No meat ( but french fries :( - totally idiotic), slim fast shakes, only Naked juice at nights, Fasting for days... the list goes on and on. And the way I did it was always the same: Eat 800-1200 calories as long as I could stand it, go on a 10-12 day binge of 4000-5000 calories, get "tough" with myself, and do it over again. I could never run very far because I would just "lose steam". Weights were out of the question because I would get a sore throat . My immune system was shot, my nails were breaking, and my hair looked like crap. Through every one of these cycles I would bet heavier and heavier.

Still stuck in Quack fixes

This year I started out at about 203 lbs. This time I calculated my lean body mass and I realized that I needed to lose 40-50 lbs and try to preserve my lean body mass (like I knew what I was doing <<snort>>). So what do I do in May 2013 (I swear I am not making this up) - I took Raspberry Ketones!

The "Turnaround"

Finally I started reading the posts here, really digesting the succinct and factual advice from the "mean veterans" (<<joke >>and y'all know it :-) and took with a grain of salt the rainbows, glitter unicorn, and you can lose 40 lbs in 4 months just by "believing hard enough" stuff. I decided that if I was going to do it right, I would eat ENOUGH (between my BMR and TDEE) , and FUEL my exercise. I was not going to get paralyzed by "Red" days and I realized that they were inevitable. But, instead of "sweeping them under the carpet" and setting the odometer back to zero, I would log everything on a "Red" day(s) to learn my behaviors. I learn to look at a whole month like a checkbook with green blocks and red blocks. I would eat more fruits and vegetables, but I would not get paralyzed by "strict clean eating" and embrace IIFYM too! You see - I like to eat and I like pizza!

Like I said this was my first 5K in the "eating era". This is what was different this time:

1. I knew I was going to finish strong - I had been able to train for months consistently. I knew how my body responded.
    2. I knew what heart rate and pace I needed to maintain to get through the race. You have to understand that back in the "Starve/Pig Out" era, I never knew when I was going to "bonk" and finish the race with my head down, my tail between my legs, and shuffling because my knees were "screaming".
    3. I wasn't afraid of the hills and I knew what to do because I have been training on hills.
    4. I knew to warm up before, what to eat, what to drink, and when to do the "pre-race pee"!
    5. I knew to not let my ego take over when my HRM was telling me to "ease off".

The Race

I modestly set back in the rear 25% of the people. I knew what pace I wanted to run.. hopefully between 12:00 - 13:00. I placed myself in the starting "mob" accordingly; I didn't want to be "that guy" that the 7:00 and 8:00 people trip over! When the race started I let adrenaline take hold, but when my HR got to 160, I said "Whoa there big fella..slow it down". I got my HR to between 148 and 152 and set things on cruise control. After mile 1 there was a 1/4 mile b1tch of a hill. I changed my gait, let myself go to 160-165 the whole time and got up to the top without being "winded". Then, I made sure I got back in the 140's so I wouldn't get a "stitch" in my side. Thanked all the volunteers the whole way (they gave their time.. that IS a big deal). Then, I arriave at mile two and I realized I felt pretty good. I decided to "air it out" and started taking longer strides and all of a sudden....

The "Glide" kicked in!

I felt great and I looked at my HRM and it was 162 the whole time and I was "surviving"! When I saw the finish line, instead of doing a desperate "guilty" sprint, I took long confident strides and literally "bounced across" the finish line.. it was fantastic. And a bit emotional too.

finish_zps1a3c334b.jpg

Result
    Result: I ran a 36:24 time at a 11:43 pace! - That is a personal best for the last 10 years. I stopped my HRM and my average HR the entire time was 154 BPM. I never would have dreamed I could keep that HR up for so long. I constantly went into the 160's and I felt comfortable the whole time.

My wife was there to greet me and she was beaming because she knew that I had done well. The results were good I finished in the last 25% of my age group, and for once I was not LAST in my age group LOL!

What is next

I am going to keep following the advice here on MFP, I am going to keep eating to lose weight, I am going to be happy with 1-2 lbs per month weight loss, I am going to start lifting more, and continue to stretch myself.

The 20 things post
    I thought that this post was awesome.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1123195-20-things-no-one-tells-you-about-running

Best line: 19. Running performance is as much, if not more, about mental strength as your physical strength.

Also.. I escaped 10,13,18 LOL (If you want to find out you have to read the post!)

Raceday_zpse5bfe704.jpg

Great Friends Here

I have a great set of MFP friends here who are really supportive and know when to "challenge" me at the right time.. I feel very fortunate. We are all here to support each other!
    Go for it everybody!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    <><><><><><> Spreadsheet to here <><><><>
    tinyurl.com/Lose8By2014

@cp - Great job!

@czechwolf - You are relentless, you are getting to your goal.. dare I say "like a wolf"

@DWHSr - Welcome - but as we said - it is totally great to lose 1-2 lbs per month here - it is all slow and steady! welcome

@Ghlt -
    NSV...... I ran a 5k this morning. I run my first 5k race on Nov 28th and wanted to be under 45 mins ( yes, I'm that slow...lol) this morning I ran it in 43.34!!!! That's fast for me!! Beat my PB by 2 mins 05secs.
    Excellent - Love it!

*** when you get a chance could you report what your weight is and not the loss... then I can get it on the spreadsheet. :-)

@fishergal5 - Congratulations on your NSV!

@hollis thanks for the comments - this started as a response to the lose 40 lbs in 4 months thread and it has attracted people.. so I hope it helps :-) - And I will definitely take 2 a month!

@Iron_Feline - love your determination - Totally cool user name!

@k80flec - You are a great planner and motivator - always great to have you here!

@lovingmyselfagain - Great job especially with Halloween!

@natalieyeo - welcome and good going!

@provence - welcome!

@rhon - 40 lbs this year - woo hoo!

@smc - welcome! and keep it up! :-)

@tootchute - You are really getting it done !
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Whoop Chevy - Congrats on your 5k - that's great.

Thanks for sharing your story as well. :flowerforyou:
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,444 Member
    Options
    Chevy -- Great story...Congratulations on the race! And I could have written all of your crazy diet stuff...yes, I've tried them all, too! Finally lost 60 by watching my portions and exercising...who would have guessed? The 20 Things post is a riot! I'm a walker (can't run...crap*y knees), and I've experienced a number of things on the list...won't mention them here but I had to laugh! Thank you for sharing.

Chris
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    SW:137.7
    CW:131.0
    GW:129.7

Headed to NYC this week. I will not be able to count calories, but I will be mindful of my food.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @Iron_Feline - thanks for the props! :smile:
    @CP - Thanks - that 20 things thread is a riot :drinker:
    @JKDLady - Great job! You had planned this NYC trip in advance and planned accordingly. Enjoy it - sounds like a fantastic trip! :smile: :flowerforyou: And great progress :smile:

Oh... I forgot - I had a "whoosh" and I am down now

Beginning weight: 203.4
    Starting Weight of this challenge: 187.4
    Current Weight: 181.6
    Goal weigh this challenge: 179.4
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 152
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Today weigh in 265.6
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @toot!

You are doing fantastic - steady going every week - congratulations
    Today weigh in 265.6
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,444 Member
    Options

Congrats! Chevy! That's so great! You worked really hard for it, too! Good job!

Chris
  • tymaup6
    tymaup6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i dont post much, but this is refreshing. i have "only" lost 10 pounds since June and i was feeling guilty that it isnt quicker. i do get lots of motivation reading the threads. dumb question, where do i find the "bookmark" tab to mark a good post?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @cpanus - Hi Chris - Thanks so much! :drinker:

Congrats! Chevy! That's so great! You worked really hard for it, too! Good job!

Chris
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @Tymaup - It is actually a function of whatever browser you are using IE, Chrome, or Firefox.

Also when you post here. this will show up under my topics.

Sometimes I just take a word document, a notepad, document or and excel spread sheet and just paste the URL in that (poor man's bookmark)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/1111488-lose-2lbs-month-permanent-thread-until-jan1st-2014?quote=17626391
    i dont post much, but this is refreshing. i have "only" lost 10 pounds since June and i was feeling guilty that it isnt quicker. i do get lots of motivation reading the threads. dumb question, where do i find the "bookmark" tab to mark a good post?
  • fishergal5
    fishergal5 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Current weight 187.5 so surprise, down another pound.

I know it's happening fast because I'm just starting out and I had developed a lot of bad eating habits the year before deciding to take this momentous move to get fit! Haven't watched/logged what I've eaten like this for 18 years!

@Ghlt4 -congrats on your beating your prior personal best by over 2 minutes!

@chevy-love your 5K story and congrats to you this week!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    <><><><><> Spreadsheet to here <><><><>
    tinyurl.com/Lose8By2014
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

@Fishergal - Great job - it is amazing when you just really log etc. :smile: thanks for the props too! :smile:
    Current weight 187.5 so surprise, down another pound.

I know it's happening fast because I'm just starting out and I had developed a lot of bad eating habits the year before deciding to take this momentous move to get fit! Haven't watched/logged what I've eaten like this for 18 years!

@Ghlt4 -congrats on your beating your prior personal best by over 2 minutes!

@chevy-love your 5K story and congrats to you this week!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Hi there,

Things are starting to get really busy at work and home and I will be able to update the spreadsheet until December 1st, but unfortunately not after that.

I do apologize for that. However

1. Want a copy emailed to you
    2. Would like access to the spreadsheet for December online

I will be happy to do either. :smile:

Everyone is doing great! :drinker:
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Things are starting to get really busy at work and home and I will be able to update the spreadsheet until December 1st, but unfortunately not after that.

I do apologize for that. However

1. Want a copy emailed to you
    2. Would like access to the spreadsheet for December online

I will be happy to do either. :smile:

Everyone is doing great! :drinker:

I can update the spreadsheet over December if you'd like :flowerforyou:
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    CW: 133.4

Woo, down almost another half pound!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It's Friiiiiiiiiiidaaaaaaaay!!! Woohoo!

CW 160.8
    Goal 160

So close......so close.

The lowest I can remember my weight in the past 20yrs was 162 -- So I am loving today's number. Very close to my 2nd goal which will put me at at loss of 40lbs for the year.

Enjoy your weekend :flowerforyou: