"The problem with sugar is your problem with sugar"

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    "Food addiction" is not found in any diagnostic criteria for issues with food. Binge Eating Disorder was recently added to the DSM-V, however food addiction (or sugar addiction) is not recognized as a diagnosis because additional research needs to be completed before criteria could be formulated for future diagnostic purposes.

Ah, so it has to be in the DSM-V for it to exist. Got it. If I ever get a time machine, I'll be sure to tell that to Robert Gallo.
    I heard that tubgirl can also be used for time travel.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    "Food addiction" is not found in any diagnostic criteria for issues with food. Binge Eating Disorder was recently added to the DSM-V, however food addiction (or sugar addiction) is not recognized as a diagnosis because additional research needs to be completed before criteria could be formulated for future diagnostic purposes.

Ah, so it has to be in the DSM-V for it to exist. Got it. If I ever get a time machine, I'll be sure to tell that to Robert Gallo.

While I was already aware of food addiction not being included in the DSM-V, the study that you posted up thread recommended that food addiction not be included in the DSM-V because "there is not sufficient (i.e., reliable and valid) data on its diagnostic criteria, we would not recommend adding "food addiction" as a diagnostic entity in DSM-V." There are too many variables. In order for people to receive any type of treatment for specific disorders it must be included in diagnostic manuals. (In the U.S., behavioral health uses the DSM-V and medical health uses the ICD)

What I understood from that paper is that "behavioral addiction" is not an officially recognized category of disease. Pathological gambling is the only behavior disorder to be categorized in the new category "Addiction and Related Disorders".

"The DSM-V Substance Use Disorders Workgroup [8] has recently proposed that the diagnosis of Pathological (Disordered) Gambling (table 6) be reclassified from Impulse-Control Disorders Not Elsewhere Classified’ to the novel category Addiction and Related Disorders [13]. Pathological (Disordered) Gambling was judged as having commonalities in clinical expression, etiology (including genetics), comorbidity, physiology, and treatment with Substance Use Disorders, thus warranting this reclassification [e.g. [14,15]. This proposal indicates a crucial turning point in the official psychiatric conceptualization of this disorder, which is additionally accompanied by the renaming of the diagnostic category. Currently, pathological gambling is to be the only behavioral addictive disorder within the novel DSM V diagnostic category ‘Addiction and Related Disorders’. However, this re-classification will undoubtedly boost research and discussions as to the delineation of additional behavioral addictions within this diagnostic category."

The study was based off of the proposed changes to the DSM-V and Gambling Disorder is classified under Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders. While there is no "behavioral addiction" section, many behaviors can be classified in other sections as appropriate.

Are you in the mental health field? You seem very knowledgeable.

I am very familiar with a wide array of social services. (in the U.S.)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I am very familiar with a wide array of social services. (in the U.S.)

Hmm, mysterious and intriguing. President Obama? :)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i think i like the black tar heroin subject better... the sugars getting boring...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I heard that tubgirl can also be used for time travel.

It certainly makes me want to go back in time...

...to a time before I knew what that even was.