Group LLC (Livin Low Carb) - August 2010

Options
Ok, here it is! A group for those of us who are LLC - livin low carb! Doesn't matter what LC plan you're following - your plan is YOUR plan! This is a place we can come to discuss LC options, recipes, lifestyles, and just a place to come be accountable!

I'm a 40-year-old female who has been "dieting" for most of my adult life. Over the years, I've found that I feel the best physically when limiting my carb intake. Overindulgence in processed carbs like bread, pasta, grains makes me feel sluggish and bloated. I personally am following Atkins from the new book "New Atkins for a New You."

Come and join Group LLC! I'll be starting a new thread every month.....

Replies

• Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ok, first recipe post.

Muffin in a Minute - courtesy of the Atkins book

1/4 c flax meal
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 packet splenda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 egg
    1 tsp butter

Put flax meal, baking powder, splenda, and cinnamon in a coffee cup and mix well. Then mix in egg and butter. Once it is of a batter-like consistency, put the coffee cup in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute (or maybe a little longer, depending on how strong your microwave is.) Remove from microwave, turn cup over on a plate, slice, and add butter while hot.

This has about the consistency and taste of a bran muffin. If you prefer it to be more moist, add a little sour cream to the mixture before microwaving. This actually helps control the carb cravings I still have cuz I'm not in ketosis yet.....
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Hi,

I just started trying to limit my carbs today and I'm finding it harder than I thought. Just a question, I've never read the Atkins book, so would you mind telling me how many carbs you are eating per day? I changed my percentage to 40% and starting at that but wondering how low I should eventually go. I have sugar issues and I know it's why I feel like you, sluggish and bloated. Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for starting this thread ; )
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    I would love to be able to follow a low carb diet as I eat far too much bread and potato and I have a really bad sweet tooth but I don't think I could do it! I bought the Atkins book and also the South Beach Diet book a few months ago but they look too strict for me. I work full time and don't have access to a kitchen so I usually take a sandwich to work. I do experiment with pasta and salads but I get bored very easily with the same type of food. I have thought about doing it my own way by limiting my carb intake but I wouldn't know what to lower this to. And would I be best cutting right back on carbs or doing it gradually?
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Yay for fellow LLCers! I've been living low carb for over a year now and have shed ALMOST 70lbs. I'm always on the lookout for new low carb approved foods that will shake my daily routine up a bit! Can't wait to see some posts! :happy:
  • Resalyn
    Options
    For those of you interested, I pulled this directly from the Atkins Phase 1 approved list:

All fish including:

•Flounder
    •Herring
    •Salmon
    •Sardines
    •Sole
    •Tuna
    •Trout
    All fowl including:

•Cornish hen
    •Chicken
    •Duck
    •Goose
    •Pheasant
    •Quail
    •Turkey
    All shellfish including:

•Clams
    •Crabmeat
    •Mussels*
    •Oysters*
    •Shrimp
    •Squid
    *Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs so limit to about 4 ounces per day.

All meat including:

•Bacon*
    •Beef
    •Ham*
    •Lamb
    •Pork
    •Veal
    •Venison
    Some processed meat, bacon, and ham is cured with sugar, which will add to the carb count. Also steer clear of cold cuts and other meats with added nitrates.

Eggs are one of nature's most nutritious creations. That’s why eggs are a staple breakfast in the Atkins Nutritional Approach.

Feel free to get creative with your eggs: Add mushrooms and onions, or even green pepper. Top the dish off with feta cheese or add basil, oregano and other herbs.

Eggs in any style, including:

•Deviled
    •Fried
    •Hard-boiled
    •Omelets
    •Poached
    •Scrambled
    •Soft-boiled
    Keep in mind that cheese does contain carbs, about 1 gram per ounce. You may have about 3 to 4 ounces of cheese per day. An ounce is about the size of an individually wrapped slice of American cheese or a 1" cube.

Cheese including:

Type Serving Size Grams of net carbs
    Blue cheeses 1 oz 0.7
    Cheddar 1 oz 0.0
    Cow, sheep and goat 1 oz 0.3
    Cream cheese 1 oz 0.8
    Feta 1 oz 1.2
    Gouda 1 oz 0.6
    Mozzarella 1 oz 0.6
    Parmesan 1 tbs 0.2
    Swiss 1 oz 1.0

Vegetables:

You should be eating approximately 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day in the form of vegetables, which is equivalent to several cups depending on the actual carb content of the veggies you select.

1 cup is roughly the size of a baseball. Measure the following salad vegetables raw.

Vegetable Serving Size/Prep grams of net carbs
    Alfalfa sprouts 1 cup/raw 0.4
    Arugula ½ cup/raw 0.2
    Bok choy 1 cup/raw 0.8
    Celery 1 stalk 0.8
    Chicory greens ½ cup/raw 0.6
    Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Cucumber ½ cup 1.0
    Daikon ½ cup 1.0
    Endive ½ cup 0.0
    Escarole ½ cup 0.0
    Fennel 1 cup 3.6
    Jicama ½ cup 2.5
    Iceberg lettuce
    ½ cup 0.1
    Mushrooms ½ cup 1.2
    Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Peppers ½ cup/raw 2.3
    Radicchio ½ cup/raw 0.7
    Radishes 10/raw 0.9
    Romaine lettuce ½ cup 0.2

The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbs than the salad vegetables listed above. They also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily foods. Make sure you stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbs. Unless otherwise noted, measure these veggies after you cook them.

Vegetable Serving Size/ Prep Net Carbs
    Artichoke ¼ of medium 4.0
    Asparagus 6 spears 2.4
    Artichoke hearts 1 canned
    Avocadoes 1 whole (raw) 3.5
    Bamboo shoots 1 cup canned
    Broccoli
    ½ cup 1.6
    Broccoli raw ½ cup 1.0
    Broccoli rabe ½ cup 1.3
    Broccoflower ½ cup 1.4
    Brussels sprouts ¼ cup
    Cabbage ½ cup (raw) 2.0
    Cauliflower ½ cup (raw) 1.0
    Swiss chard ½ cup
    Collard greens ½ cup
    Eggplant ½ cup
    Hearts of palm 1 heart 0.7
    Kale ½ cup 2.4
    Kohlrabi ½ cup 4.6
    Leeks ¼ cup
    Okra ½ cup
    Olives green 5 2.5
    Olives black 5 0.7
    Onion ¼ cup (raw) 2.8
    Pumpkin ¼ cup
    Rhubarb ½ cup (unsweetened) 1.7
    Sauerkraut ½ cup (drained) 1.2
    Peas ½ cup with pods 3.4
    Spaghetti squash ½ cup
    Spinach ½ cup (raw) 0.2
    Summer squash ½ cup
    Tomato 1 (raw) 4.3
    Turnips ½ cup
    Water chestnuts ½ cup (canned) 6.9
    Zucchini ½ cup

Salad Garnishes
    Crumbled bacon 3 slices 0.0
    Hard-boiled egg 1 egg 0.0
    Grated cheeses (see above carb counts)
    Sautéed mushrooms ½ cup 1.0
    Sour cream 2 tbs 1.2

Herbs and Spices (make sure they contain no added sugar)

Basil 1 tbs 0.0
    Cayenne pepper 1 tbs 0.0
    Cilantro 1 tbs 0.0
    Dill 1 tbs 0.0
    Garlic 1 clove 0.9
    Ginger 1 tbs sliced root 0.8
    Oregano 1 tbs 0.0
    Pepper 1 tbs 0.0
    Rosemary 1 tbs 0.0
    Sage 1 tbs 0.0
    Tarragon 1 tbs 0.0

Salad Dressings - Any prepared salad dressing with no added sugar and no more then 2 grams of net carbs per serving (1-2 tablespoons) is acceptable. Or make your own.

Blue cheese 2 tbs 2.3
    Caesar 2 tbs 0.5
    Italian 2 tbs 3.0
    Lemon juice 2 tbs 2.8
    Oil and vinegar 2 tbs 1.0
    Ranch 2 tbs 1.4

Fats and Oils

There are no carbs here, but keep in mind that the serving size is approximately 1 tablespoon.

1.Butter
    2.Mayonnaise – make sure it has no added sugar
    3.Olive oil
    4.Vegetable oils – Those labeled “cold pressed” or “expeller pressed” are especially good and olive oil is one of the best.
    ◦Canola*
    ◦Walnut
    ◦Soybean*
    ◦Grape seed*
    ◦Sesame
    ◦Sunflower*
    ◦Safflower*
    *Do not allow any oils to reach overly high temperatures when cooking. Use olive oil for sautéing only. Use walnut or sesame oil to dress cooked veggies or salad, but not for cooking.

Artificial Sweeteners

•Splenda – one packet equals 1 gram of net carbs
    Beverages

•Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
    •Club soda
    •Cream, heavy or light.
    •Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
    •Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
    •Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
    •Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
    •Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...
    ◦Filtered water
    ◦Mineral water
    ◦Spring water
    ◦Tap water
    * You may have 1 to 2 cups of caffeinated tea or coffee if you can tolerate caffeine without experiencing cravings or symptoms of hypoglycemia.
    If you are truly addicted to caffeine, it's best to break the habit during the Induction.

Alcohol:

Alcohol is not allowed during the first two weeks of Induction. If you remain on this phase longer,
    you can have a glass of wine, a low-carb beer, or a small amount of spirits mixed with water or club soda, but be sure to avoid mixers that contain carbs, including fruit juices and tonic water. Understand that consuming alcohol may slow your weight loss.
  • maggie9700
    Options
    Hi, Just joined MFP last week. But, my husband and I have decided to try the Gluten-free way. We heard on radio that it could be the cause of many ailments, and hubby thinks maybe I'm allergic to gluten and that's what causes my joint pain. Willing to try it for a while, and know that if I go without wheat products that I love,maybe it will work in many ways. We're 51 years old, btw.

Wasn't fat before marriage but got up to 270 after 10 years. At 205 now, and the only time I ever lost weight was when I was doing low carb , high protein. Problem is sticking to it. Giving it another try now and glad to find this group!
    So, now, trying to find out what does or doesn't have gluten. Thanks for being here.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Hi! :flowerforyou: I'd like to join this group. I too find that I feel best when I limit my carb intake. About 6 years ago I did Atkins, and lost 30 pounds, and since put it all back on, plus some. Atkins was too strict for me, so now I'm trying to limit carbs, but not go to that extreme. (By the way, tallandi32, Atkins is 20 grams of carbs per day...or at least that's what it was when I read the book 6 years ago.) For me, Atkins isn't sustainable long term. So - now I'm trying to cut back on processed sugars, sweets, refined carbs, etc. I LOVE sweets! My carb intake is now set for 40% (I'm at 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat) - and for me that's 120 grams of carbs per day. I'm looking forward to sharing recipes and experiences with you all! :flowerforyou:
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Hi,

I just started trying to limit my carbs today and I'm finding it harder than I thought. Just a question, I've never read the Atkins book, so would you mind telling me how many carbs you are eating per day? I changed my percentage to 40% and starting at that but wondering how low I should eventually go. I have sugar issues and I know it's why I feel like you, sluggish and bloated. Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for starting this thread ; )

Tallandi - I'm not an Atkins expert, probably best if you buy the book to refer to, but here's the basics: Ok, on phase 1 of Atkins, otherwise known as Induction, you should consume up to 20 NET carbs per day. How do you get net carbs? Take the carb count on the label, subtract the fiber (and sugar alcohol if there are any) and that is the net carbs.

Ok, the book says that 12-15 of those net carbs should come from LC vegetables (see list below) - which would mean that your carb intake would be about 60% - but they're supposed to come from vegetables, not breads, pasta, sugary foods, etc. I TOTALLY know what you mean about sugar issues - the more I eat, the more I want. When I avoid them completely, after a few days I don't crave them anymore.... The list below is Phase 1 Induction approved veggies:

Vegetables:

You should be eating approximately 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day in the form of vegetables, which is equivalent to several cups depending on the actual carb content of the veggies you select.

1 cup is roughly the size of a baseball. Measure the following salad vegetables raw.

Arugula ½ cup/raw 0.2
    Bok choy 1 cup/raw 0.8
    Celery 1 stalk 0.8
    Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Cucumber ½ cup 1.0
    Daikon ½ cup 1.0
    Endive ½ cup 0.0
    Escarole ½ cup 0.0
    Fennel 1 cup 3.6
    Jicama ½ cup 2.5
    Iceberg lettuce
    ½ cup 0.1
    Mushrooms ½ cup 1.2
    Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Peppers ½ cup/raw 2.3
    Radicchio ½ cup/raw 0.7
    Radishes 10/raw 0.9

The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbs than the salad vegetables listed above. They also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily foods. Make sure you stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbs. Unless otherwise noted, measure these veggies after you cook them.

Asparagus 6 spears 2.4
    Broccoli
    ½ cup 1.6
    Broccoli raw ½ cup 1.0
    Broccoli rabe ½ cup 1.3
    Broccoflower ½ cup 1.4
    Brussels sprouts ¼ cup
    Cabbage ½ cup (raw) 2.0
    Swiss chard ½ cup
    Collard greens ½ cup
    Eggplant ½ cup
    Kale ½ cup 2.4
    Kohlrabi ½ cup 4.6
    Leeks ¼ cup
    Okra ½ cup
    Olives green 5 2.5
    Olives black 5 0.7
    Onion ¼ cup (raw) 2.8
    Pumpkin ¼ cup
    Peas ½ cup with pods 3.4
    Spaghetti squash ½ cup
    Spinach ½ cup (raw) 0.2
    Summer squash ½ cup
    Tomato 1 (raw) 4.3
    Turnips ½ cup
    Zucchini ½ cup
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    I've taken a little different approach to LLC. I've been working hard to replace bread, pasta and sweets with the "good carb" options. High fiber foods like green vegetables, bell peppers, carrots, ripe fruits and nuts like almonds. All the "good carbs" come in those natural foods. I stay as far away as I can from processed foods...anything that comes in a box or a bag.

One note, once a week I have something sweet that is completely bad for me...chocolate cake, a big chunk of bread with butter on it, or whatever I want. This is to keep me from being tempted more than I can handle during the rest of the week.

So far this has been working well for me. I'm interested in seeing more recipes though, it would be fun to try some of these LLC options!
  • MrsNeuman
    Options
    I'm restarting my low carb eating which I did successfully for about 4 months before my wedding, it helped me lose about 17 pounds (In a college dorm of all places- NOT easy to do) and considering I'm 5'9" and started at 146 and went to 129, the last 17 pounds were the hardest to lose. I read the atkins book (and I was taking physiology at the time) and it made SO much sense! I didn't crave carbs at all, and felt healthier and more full of energy than ever- and as his books said, you'll have SO much energy eating like this it makes it SO much easier to exercise! :) (The first week was VERY tough for me though with sugar deprivation- but after that- no problems at all!) I'm excited this time to make the lifestyle switch (instead of a quick fix) and enjoy my meats, veggies, and down the road plenty of fruit and whole grains. I feel much healthier with this eating style than other people's opinions of "a balanced meal" full of carbs that leave me feeling unfulfilled, hungry a couple hours later, and unnaturally fatigued for no reason. After the wedding I fell off the bandwagon, and I couldn't regret it more, without this eating style I'm a slave to my own cravings that never stop- I was always looking for something to eat, even right after a large meal (just like atkins said maybe I have a glucose intolerance?)

I'm glad this group is here! Let's keep each other motivated!
  • Resalyn
    Options
    I would love to be able to follow a low carb diet as I eat far too much bread and potato and I have a really bad sweet tooth but I don't think I could do it! I bought the Atkins book and also the South Beach Diet book a few months ago but they look too strict for me. I work full time and don't have access to a kitchen so I usually take a sandwich to work. I do experiment with pasta and salads but I get bored very easily with the same type of food. I have thought about doing it my own way by limiting my carb intake but I wouldn't know what to lower this to. And would I be best cutting right back on carbs or doing it gradually?

Hi, Sim! It's hard to get started on a new WOE (Way of Eating) when you're working full time and no access to a kitchen! I work two jobs, and communite 35 miles to work every day, I'm all about easy and convenient! How about try this - instead of a sandwich, try making a wrap instead - with a low-carb whole-grain tortilla, or maybe lettuce leaves as the wrap. Or make a nice salad with all kinds of different veggies and sliced salad meat and cheese on top. Spend a little $$ and get yourself a nice lunch bag - I have one that actually looks like a purse - I hate those mini-coolers, LOL!

As for your last question - I've found the easiest way is to eliminate as many carbs as you can and eliminate all sugars completely - within 3-5 days, you'll lose your craving for them. Of course, those 3-5 days are REALLY lousy when you're a carb addict like me... And that elimination should also include avoiding full-sugar soda pop and fruit juices, except for ones you squeeze yourself - cuz most processed fruit juice has a lot of sugar in it, as do regular sodas!

I'm a carb addict, just like I used to be a nicotine addict. I kicked the smoking habit by going cold turkey, and that worked best for me with carbs too!
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Hi, Saverys_gal! Welcome! I'm going to be trying some LC recipes, and will post them if they turn out well. I'm going to be making some homemade creamy mushroom soup later today, I'll post the recipe later on....

Mrs. Neuman - Glucose intolerance - definitely! I have wondered that about myself as well - either way, LC livin makes me feel much better too - welcome to the group! I'm glad you decided to join us!

Hibpushman - It sounds like going LC is working for you - and I like the idea of at least one a week indulging in something off plan. I hope to get to a point where I feel like I can do that - I'm not there yet, but I hope so soon! Welcome to the group!

lmr9 - you're right, 20 net carbs a day isn't sustainable for the rest of one's life! My plan once I get closer to goal is to go through the steps to add a few more carbs each week until I realize what my threshold is! LC eating works for millions of people, whether it be Atkins, South Beach, Belly Fat Cure, whatever works for you..... I'm glad you decided to join us! I'm hoping this will be an active thread with all kinds of motivation and support from all directions.... So what's your favorite LC recipe?

Back in a bit....
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Maggie - I missed your reply - it slipped to page 2 when I was typing my answer!

I have a good friend at work who is following the LC way with me, and she has Celiac Disease. She eats completely gluten-free. In fact, she is so sensitive to gluten, that any exposure to it causes her physical pain. We've been working together to find recipes that will fit her WOE. She's trying a great muffin recipe this weekend, and is supposed to bring one in for me to try if it turns out well. I'll keep you posted! Welcome to the group!
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Thank you Resalyn I wil get my carb counter out now and have a look. I feel this would be a good WOE for me. I only want to lose about 18lb but it isn't budging and I have thought about low carbing previously. Think i'll start this from tomorrow and see how it goes! Wish me luck x
  • Hockey_Mom
    Options
    Hello everyone! This is my 2nd time workign on low-carb eating, and I am hoping to have great success! I never had weight problems until I gained 65 lbs when pregnant with my son. Since I never had to worry about losing weight before, I am struggling with doing it now. When my son was about 1, I lost 20 lbs on the South Beach Diet, but since have gained it back and then some. My biggest issues are that I am a stay-at-home mom and part-time student, which means I have access to my refrigerator any time a craving strikes and do a lot of sitting on my butt and writing papers. I also struggle with my family, as we are very close to both sides of our family and have get-togethers ALL the time.

All that aside, I am doing a number of things to try to fit the low-carb lifestyle into my life. What I really try to focus on the most is the whole-food nature of low-carb eating. I try to eat as many foods in the purest, most processed form available. Eggs, chicken, and all kinds of veggies are all things I eat almost every day. I eat nuts, too (probably more than I should sometimes). And you would be surprised how many things you can do with just those basic ingredients. Omelettes, stir-fry, salads, etc. Occasionally (usually on a particularly stressful day) I use low-carb tortillas to make grilled chicken wraps or individual pizzas (which are really good with sliced tomatoes and feta cheese). But my main focus is protein and veggies.

With all hope, I will reach my goal of losing about 60 lbs within a reasonable amount of time. I hope to lose my first 20 by the end of Oct. Already down 3! Looking forward to more tips and discussion!

Thanks for starting this group Resalyn!
  • Andi_Mo
    Options
    Hi! :flowerforyou: I'd like to join this group. I too find that I feel best when I limit my carb intake. About 6 years ago I did Atkins, and lost 30 pounds, and since put it all back on, plus some. Atkins was too strict for me, so now I'm trying to limit carbs, but not go to that extreme. (By the way, tallandi32, Atkins is 20 grams of carbs per day...or at least that's what it was when I read the book 6 years ago.) For me, Atkins isn't sustainable long term. So - now I'm trying to cut back on processed sugars, sweets, refined carbs, etc. I LOVE sweets! My carb intake is now set for 40% (I'm at 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat) - and for me that's 120 grams of carbs per day. I'm looking forward to sharing recipes and experiences with you all! :flowerforyou:

Hi Thank you! I really appreciate it and relate to you. I too LOVE sweets! If I didn't have such an addiction to them, maintaining my weight would be a cinch. Also, don't think I can maintain 20 grams of carbs either. I'll see how the 40% carbs will work and go from there. Thanks to all of you!
  • Andi_Mo
    Options
    Hi,

Tallandi - I'm not an Atkins expert, probably best if you buy the book to refer to, but here's the basics: Ok, on phase 1 of Atkins, otherwise known as Induction, you should consume up to 20 NET carbs per day. How do you get net carbs? Take the carb count on the label, subtract the fiber (and sugar alcohol if there are any) and that is the net carbs.

Ok, the book says that 12-15 of those net carbs should come from LC vegetables (see list below) - which would mean that your carb intake would be about 60% - but they're supposed to come from vegetables, not breads, pasta, sugary foods, etc. I TOTALLY know what you mean about sugar issues - the more I eat, the more I want. When I avoid them completely, after a few days I don't crave them anymore.... The list below is Phase 1 Induction approved veggies:

Vegetables:

Arugula ½ cup/raw 0.2
    Bok choy 1 cup/raw 0.8
    Celery 1 stalk 0.8
    Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Cucumber ½ cup 1.0
    Daikon ½ cup 1.0
    Endive ½ cup 0.0
    Escarole ½ cup 0.0
    Fennel 1 cup 3.6
    Jicama ½ cup 2.5
    Iceberg lettuce
    ½ cup 0.1
    Mushrooms ½ cup 1.2
    Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1
    Peppers ½ cup/raw 2.3
    Radicchio ½ cup/raw 0.7
    Radishes 10/raw 0.9

Asparagus 6 spears 2.4
    Broccoli
    ½ cup 1.6
    Broccoli raw ½ cup 1.0
    Broccoli rabe ½ cup 1.3
    Broccoflower ½ cup 1.4
    Brussels sprouts ¼ cup
    Cabbage ½ cup (raw) 2.0
    Swiss chard ½ cup
    Collard greens ½ cup
    Eggplant ½ cup
    Kale ½ cup 2.4
    Kohlrabi ½ cup 4.6
    Leeks ¼ cup
    Okra ½ cup
    Olives green 5 2.5
    Olives black 5 0.7
    Onion ¼ cup (raw) 2.8
    Pumpkin ¼ cup
    Peas ½ cup with pods 3.4
    Spaghetti squash ½ cup
    Spinach ½ cup (raw) 0.2
    Summer squash ½ cup
    Tomato 1 (raw) 4.3
    Turnips ½ cup
    Zucchini ½ cup

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! That is extremely helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to post it! I'm going to give this a try! It is long overdue. Almost everyone on my dad's side of the family is diabetic so I'd better get to it! You rock ; )
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Good evening, everyone!

Made a LC mushroom soup today, recipe below:

1 lb mushrooms
    butter
    2 tbs onions, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    chicken stock, 2 c
    1/2 c heavy cream.

Sautee mushrooms and onions in butter. Add garlic and saute til fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken stock and lower heat to simmer to allow flavors to combine. Put in blender, pulse just once, maybe twice. Return to pan, add cream, and simmer again. Serve immediately.

It was really good! But I pulsed it too many times and ended up with really small pieces of mushroom - wanted bigger chunks, will know better for next time....
  • maggie9700
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not sure if I have this problem, but, it is interesting to me that eating gluten causes your friend pain!! Curious as to what kind of pain. I have a hip issue, which causes a walking issue. Besides that, I've already noticed after a few days of trying gluten-free, that I feel less bloated. I have a problem with the low carb thing though. Even though, I'm not eating any bread or crackers, my carbs are still high. Around 120. I've been eating fruit and nutsGuess I have to cut back.
    How do fruit and nuts fit into the LC lifetyle??
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not sure if I have this problem, but, it is interesting to me that eating gluten causes your friend pain!! Curious as to what kind of pain. I have a hip issue, which causes a walking issue. Besides that, I've already noticed after a few days of trying gluten-free, that I feel less bloated. I have a problem with the low carb thing though. Even though, I'm not eating any bread or crackers, my carbs are still high. Around 120. I've been eating fruit and nutsGuess I have to cut back.
    How do fruit and nuts fit into the LC lifetyle??

HI Maggie! :smile:

It depends on the LC lifestyle you're living and what fruits and nuts you're eating-some are better than others! I base my LC life on Atkins...so when it comes to nuts I pick almonds, macadamias, pistachios and cashews for the most part but I also watch my quantity! As far as fruit...depending on where you're at in the Atkins ballgame, you should either be eating none, very little or a reasonable portion. If you're in induction-you eat no fruit-too much sugar and too many carbs! As you move through the phases you can slowly add some fruits back in but in moderation because as you have noticed they are very high in carbs!!

Hope this helped! :wink: