cutting out all "cheat" foods

Options

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Cheat foods? You mean all of the delicious foods that people eat in day to day life and up to this point, you've successfully fit into your diet? Why would you cut those out?

Make sure, after 86 pounds, that your calorie intake is still correct for weight loss.

Yes, you would be correct. Right now i'm eating roughly 2200 calories a day, maybe i'll need to drop it down to 1800

That sounds like a far better idea.

why would cutting out "cheat" foods be a bad idea?

Read back through the tread.

I have read through the thread. I haven't had a binge at all since I began to lose weight, and I was extremely restrictive in the beginning. Even though I relaxed at a little now. I think I should be restrictive now to get me to my goal
  • thekyleo
    Options
    Losing weight is a case of trial and error. Try it and see if that works for you.

Good luck!

I have gone through a few different things to lose weight, I guess I haven't found one thing that works so I guess I'll just keep trying different things
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cheat foods? You mean all of the delicious foods that people eat in day to day life and up to this point, you've successfully fit into your diet? Why would you cut those out?

Make sure, after 86 pounds, that your calorie intake is still correct for weight loss.

Yes, you would be correct. Right now i'm eating roughly 2200 calories a day, maybe i'll need to drop it down to 1800

That sounds like a far better idea.

Read back through the tread.

I have read through the thread. I haven't had a binge at all since I began to lose weight, and I was extremely restrictive in the beginning. Even though I relaxed at a little now. I think I should be restrictive now to get me to my goal

Then it may not be a problem for you. You asked a very general question, we gave very general advice. Some people are fine with highly restrictive diets. Most people aren't. You certainly know yourself better than we do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I personally wouldn't cut 'cheat' foods at all, but just eat less of them (which you'll have to do pretty much if you cut your calories anyway).
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

I have gone through a few different things to lose weight, I guess I haven't found one thing that works so I guess I'll just keep trying different things

You HAVE to be kidding - you've got this nailed down. There is one thing that's working consistently and that's your effort and stamina - you're doing amazing - 86lbs lost!!

Just stick with and change it around when you need to.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I personally wouldn't cut 'cheat' foods at all, but just eat less of them (which you'll have to do pretty much if you cut your calories anyway).

I don't know if that's right, even when I did a 25% calorie reduction it gave me 2600 calories, that's alot
  • thekyleo
    Options

You HAVE to be kidding - you've got this nailed down. There is one thing that's working consistently and that's your effort and stamina - you're doing amazing - 86lbs lost!!

Honestly, i'm not kidding. The only thing constant is working out and running. I have tried a few different eating styles (paleo, Primal, Intermittent Fasting etc)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You've only got 12 lbs to go... how tall are you?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Honestly, i'm not kidding. The only thing constant is working out and running. I have tried a few different eating styles (paleo, Primal, Intermittent Fasting etc)

The eating style you chose, by in large, doesn't matter. It's the calories. Those approaches are just things people use to help with adherence.

2000 cals is 2000 cals regardless of when/how you eat it.
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You might try a short term cut. If you feel like you're stalled out just before the finish line, try cutting gluten or added sugar for a week. It's not a long term deprivation, but might be something that jolts your body into doing what you want it to do.

86 lbs lost is AMAZING. Keep up the great work!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

First of all, it's not clear what "cheat" foods are. Do you mean foods that are calorie-dense but nutrition-poor, like doughnuts? Most people who entirely cut out such foods while losing weight, and then start eating them again after reaching goal, will gain back the weight because they have not made a sustainable lifestyle change. Better to continue eating them in moderation while losing, to reinforce the habit of eating them in moderation later. You may not be one of those people, but that's where the advice is coming from.

If, on the other hand, "cheat" foods are things you eat but don't log (like fruit and vegetables in Weight Watchers), you should be logging them all along. They do have calories. I log even my baby dill pickles, at 5 calories each.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already know your answer. Drop your caloric intake for awhile and hit your goal. Good luck
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

It's calories in vs calories out. Doesn't matter what ''style'' you eat.
    The closer you get to your goal the slower it gets and normally you can expect a 0.5lbs drop a week.

Besides, it shouldn't be about the number on the scale but about how you look and if you are happy with it.

If you wanna cut out ''cheat foods'' (whatever that may be) then you can do that. But restricting is never a good thing. You are making a life time change and unless you want to permanently remove these foods from your diet because of medical reasons or because you don't like the taste then it is to be expected that at one point you will snap and most likely binge. It just resutlt in a bad relationship with food in my opinion
  • thekyleo
    Options
    You've only got 12 lbs to go... how tall are you?

6'1
  • thekyleo
    Options

It's calories in vs calories out. Doesn't matter what ''style'' you eat.
    The closer you get to your goal the slower it gets and normally you can expect a 0.5lbs drop a week.

Besides, it shouldn't be about the number on the scale but about how you look and if you are happy with it.

If you wanna cut out ''cheat foods'' (whatever that may be) then you can do that. But restricting is never a good thing. You are making a life time change and unless you want to permanently remove these foods from your diet because of medical reasons or because you don't like the taste then it is to be expected that at one point you will snap and most likely binge. It just resutlt in a bad relationship with food in my opinion

well my relationship with food has changed and I am currently seeing a therapist to address the issue
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

The eating style you chose, by in large, doesn't matter. It's the calories. Those approaches are just things people use to help with adherence.

2000 cals is 2000 cals regardless of when/how you eat it.

True that. I've also done Paleo, Primal but if you take in more calories than you are burning it doesn't matter. If you like eating paleo stick with it just drop portion sizes, same with any other "style" of eating. I'm currently in the same boat.
  • jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Before you cut out whole groups of food or cut back drastically on your calories please check out IIFYM. It has been a lifesaver for me. Here's a pretty comprehensive overview.

http://jodiefuturefigure.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/the-iifym-directory/

One tip I could probably give you right offhand would be to leave your food intake and what you eat where it is and then add in some HIIT cardio.

Good luck!
  • thekyleo
    Options
    You restricted yourself in the beginning, you stopped doing that, got more relaxed and lost a ton of weight. So now you think restricting again is the answer? You were able to overcome that psychological obstacles in weight loss with success, why go backwards?

Reevaluating your caloric needs might be in order instead.

Also, you say you've been stuck at 197. How long have you been "stuck" and have you relaxed to the point where you are not logging accurately?

I've been stuck for about 3 weeks. I log everything to a point where it's obsessive if I can't find out the caloric information of something
  • thekyleo
    Options
    Before you cut out whole groups of food or cut back drastically on your calories please check out IIFYM. It has been a lifesaver for me. Here's a pretty comprehensive overview.

http://jodiefuturefigure.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/the-iifym-directory/

One tip I could probably give you right offhand would be to leave your food intake and what you eat where it is and then add in some HIIT cardio.

Good luck!

I've looked at IIFYM and It contains too many foods that I can't eat. So I think I will take your advice and add in some HIIT cardio