cutting out all "cheat" foods

Options

Replies

• SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    All the "I eat junk food all the time people" are flat out kidding themselves about how good they have it. They're drinking the Kool Aid. Great. You eat one serving of ice cream every day? Enjoy that quarter pint of Ben and Jerry's. Whoopie. You had chocolate today? Oh wow, a whole third of a Hershey bar? You wild man. Tonight was pizza night? Oh, one whole slice. My friend B.F. Deal is impressed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this approach is right/wrong I just think the way people try to sell it as some amazing worry free non-restrictive lifestyle is silly.

Seems like you've got a lot to learn. Stick around.

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - Phish Food, 3/5 cup 107g

No restrictive at all. How many spoonfuls was that even? Jeez.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    All the "I eat junk food all the time people" are flat out kidding themselves about how good they have it. They're drinking the Kool Aid. Great. You eat one serving of ice cream every day? Enjoy that quarter pint of Ben and Jerry's. Whoopie. You had chocolate today? Oh wow, a whole third of a Hershey bar? You wild man. Tonight was pizza night? Oh, one whole slice. My friend B.F. Deal is impressed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this approach is right/wrong I just think the way people try to sell it as some amazing worry free non-restrictive lifestyle is silly.

Even though you haven't given up all of what I would call "cheat" foods, you've made sacrifices to get where you are. From your own profile: " No fast food or sodas." Those are your cheat foods; and you avoid them.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Hmm. I can usually fit two pieces of pizza in for a meal. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

I don't restrict the foods I eat. I restrict the quantity to stay within my macros for the most part. I definitely have days when I'm over and it's been fine in the long term.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that this is easy for very very few people. Yes, some approaches are easier than others, but eating "right" was easy, obesity wouldn't be the problem it is.

The point being made was that people who talk like IIFYM is some miracle solution that makes everything worry-free, simple, balanced, healthy, and satisfying is generally misleading. Even with IIFYM, sacrifices have to be made and decisions need to be balanced. That point is often omitted (or undersold) when talking IIFYM.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't do portion control. When I get a craving for, let's say, ice cream - I'll finish off around a couple of quarts. I'd rather go all out then have a cup every night.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't do portion control. When I get a craving for, let's say, ice cream - I'll finish off around a couple of quarts. I'd rather go all out then have a cup every night.

strong troll bro
  • thekyleo
    Options

Even though you haven't given up all of what I would call "cheat" foods, you've made sacrifices to get where you are. From your own profile: " No fast food or sodas." Those are your cheat foods; and you avoid them.

^THIS
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I think the point is that this is easy for very very few people. Yes, some approaches are easier than others, but eating "right" was easy, obesity wouldn't be the problem it is.

The point being made was that people who talk like IIFYM is some miracle solution that makes everything worry-free, simple, balanced, healthy, and satisfying is generally misleading. Even with IIFYM, sacrifices have to be made and decisions need to be balanced. That point is often omitted (or undersold) when talking IIFYM.

I was watching a 5 part series by Eric Helms last night where he addresses this exact point. I found it to be a good watch.

Info?
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not trolling - that's what I do? It works for me.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I should have added...

While IIFYM requires some decisions/sacrifices for most, it will generally require fewer and less restrictive decisions than other approaches, which is what makes it so appealing for a lot of people.
  • thekyleo
    Options

so you're telling me that you will finish of QUARTS of ice cream and somehow you are still losing weight. BS
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I cut out all my cheat foods for 2+ months. They were always on the back of my mind, every time I saw lays at the checkout my mouth was watering. I finally ate some in August. I couldn't get enough. In September I gained 5 lbs back because I ended up eating all my "cheat foods". Now I don't crave them like I used to. It was a bad idea to cut them out completely in the first place :frown:
  • jacksonpt
    Options

so you're telling me that you will finish of QUARTS of ice cream and somehow you are still losing weight. BS

you're missing the bigger picture. Take a couple steps back. 2 quarts is what... 1200 cals depending on the ice cream? I can burn that much in a single workout, and it's very easy to "absorb" those cals over the course of a week and still be in a deficit.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Be careful about where you want your weight to be. Take your body measurements first and keep doing what your doing. Then check your measurements again in about 2 or 3 weeks, maybe even a month. Then evaluate your position.
  • thekyleo
    Options

you're missing the bigger picture. Take a couple steps back. 2 quarts is what... 1200 cals depending on the ice cream? I can burn that much in a single workout, and it's very easy to "absorb" those cals over the course of a week and still be in a deficit.

I don't do weekly deficits and 1200 calories for 2 quarts of ice cream, try 2200
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I beg to differ fast foods are not a cheat meal for me. If we are talking pizza, I do have that frequently. Bacon swiss cheese burgers and fries I make at home. The fries are always Orieda. And soda, that's not a cheat meal....that's just soda and it makes no sense for me to even try to fit that in.

You've missed the point. If you avoid a food or a type of food, those would be your "cheat" foods. That's all the OP is doing. He has identified his "cheat" foods that may be sabotaging his progress and is choosing to avoid them. If ice cream and cereal fits within your budget, good on you. I can occasionally fit an ice cream bar into mine, but I do choose what I eat carefully; not just quantity. I do this because I would rather consume 500 calories in the form of a juicy steak than a Cinnabon pastry.

You've done a great job losing weight and getting into great shape. You made choices and you made sacrifices. Hopefully, no one told you that you were wrong for avoiding soda and fast food.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I don't do weekly deficits and 1200 calories for 2 quarts of ice cream, try 2200

ok, so 2200. That's 2 good bike rides for me. So what?

Why don't you do weekly deficits? Isn't a weekly deficit just the result of 7 daily deficits? I'd go nuts if I looked at everything strictly on a daily basis. A bigger, weekly view keeps me sane.