cutting out all "cheat" foods

Options

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You should be learning now how to eat in a way that you can sustain through maintenance, ie for the rest of your life. Cutting out things you enjoy eating just to lose a few pounds isn't going to help you in the long run-you need to develop a healthy relationship with these foods and figure out how best to fit them into your life. That may mean cutting portion sizes down, limiting them to once a week etc, but to totally eliminate them from your diet is only going to lead to problems.

my restricting of certain foods is how I plan to do for the rest of my life, Not just to drop the last few pounds
  • jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sure thing!
    Before you cut out whole groups of food or cut back drastically on your calories please check out IIFYM. It has been a lifesaver for me. Here's a pretty comprehensive overview.

http://jodiefuturefigure.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/the-iifym-directory/

One tip I could probably give you right offhand would be to leave your food intake and what you eat where it is and then add in some HIIT cardio.

Good luck!

Thanks for the link btw !
  • thekyleo
    Options
    OP, I commend you for your commitment. You do you, and ignore the naysayers.

"Cheat" foods are calorie-dense and a lot of people are fine with this and can fit them in. For many of us, it can be difficult to stay within our caloric and macro budgets with the inclusion of these foods.

I try to eat clean, but occasionally cheat. I don't binge and I do find that trying to fit a pizza in and still hit my macros can be a very difficult task. I don't think that you need to lower your calorie intake. As mentioned in an earlier reply, you should be losing weight at your current allotment. But, when you are within a few pounds of your goal, it can be very difficult to drop weight.

Good luck.

I'm a dude

I'm not sure who exactly is being a "naysayer"

The OP never stated that she has issues making the foods she enjoys in her caloric allowance. She never stated that she has trouble with eating to much.

Salmon is pretty calorie dense. Is that a "cheat" food?
  • thekyleo
    Options

"Cheat" foods are calorie-dense and a lot of people are fine with this and can fit them in. For many of us, it can be difficult to stay within our caloric and macro budgets with the inclusion of these foods.

I try to eat clean, but occasionally cheat. I don't binge and I do find that trying to fit a pizza in and still hit my macros can be a very difficult task. I don't think that you need to lower your calorie intake. As mentioned in an earlier reply, you should be losing weight at your current allotment. But, when you are within a few pounds of your goal, it can be very difficult to drop weight.

Good luck.

I'm a dude

The OP never stated that she has issues making the foods she enjoys in her caloric allowance. She never stated that she has trouble with eating to much.

I am the guy in the picture
  • LYNN8SUPERSTARZS
    LYNN8SUPERSTARZS Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would reccomend add some weight training to your exercise routine to boost your metabolism or more aerobic activity. :smile:
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I eat cheat foods all the time, I'm the queen of fast food. I just keep my calorie total for the day at a reasonable level. Weight comes off. I don't try to eat anything specific, I just watch the bottom line.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    I would reccomend add some weight training to your exercise routine to boost your metabolism or more aerobic activity. :smile:

I currently lift 5 days a week
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    No such thing as a cheat food, the food is innocent so do not blame the food unless it walks into your mouth and refuses to leave!

That just brought to mind a tiny Hershey's spider walking into my mouth while I sleep, and now I'm squicked out and it's all your fault. I hope you're happy. :)

Deliriously I think we just discovered a new species of spider! :P
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a decent job I think of losing weight over the last year (86lbs to date). I'm 197 and my GW is 185. I have been trying to balance foods I like into my diet and I seem to be stuck at 197. So I think i'm going to cut out all the "cheat" foods and see where that gets me.

Is there a question somewhere in here that I'm missing?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    OP, your mind seems to be already set. Try what you think you will feel comfortable with and see where it takes you then
  • thekyleo
    Options
    OP, your mind seems to be already set. Try what you think you will feel comfortable with and see where it takes you then

I think you are right, I will do what needs to be done
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a decent job I think of losing weight over the last year (86lbs to date). I'm 197 and my GW is 185. I have been trying to balance foods I like into my diet and I seem to be stuck at 197. So I think i'm going to cut out all the "cheat" foods and see where that gets me.

SNARK attack. Everybody out of the water NOW!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Cheat foods? You mean all of the delicious foods that people eat in day to day life and up to this point, you've successfully fit into your diet? Why would you cut those out?

Make sure, after 86 pounds, that your calorie intake is still correct for weight loss.

Yes, you would be correct. Right now i'm eating roughly 2200 calories a day, maybe i'll need to drop it down to 1800

:wink: right!
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I would not consider salmon calorie-dense. A half fillet comes in under 400 calories, but contributes nearly 40g of protein and 22g of essential fats. You can also get 400 calories from 4 slices of bread or a cup of pasta, but neither of those options does much to sate hunger.

Regardless, it's about choice. For some, choosing salmon over a cheese burger works better toward meeting their goals. Others prefer the cheeseburger and can make it fit. I'm not a clean-eating evangelist, just someone that understands that this is an option that many folks choose in order to meet their budgets.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Totally wondering what is a cheat food? :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

SNARK attack. Everybody out of the water NOW!

Well, no, it's just that there's no question in his statement! Just a generalization about changing his weight loss plan.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    All the "I eat junk food all the time people" are flat out kidding themselves about how good they have it. They're drinking the Kool Aid. Great. You eat one serving of ice cream every day? Enjoy that quarter pint of Ben and Jerry's. Whoopie. You had chocolate today? Oh wow, a whole third of a Hershey bar? You wild man. Tonight was pizza night? Oh, one whole slice. My friend B.F. Deal is impressed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this approach is right/wrong I just think the way people try to sell it as some amazing worry free non-restrictive lifestyle is silly.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just incorporate your favorite foods throughout the day & week? It's not that hard & would drastically cut your chances of having a major binge.