fasting diet works....

Options

Replies

• bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    A while back I was stuck at 230 so I did the 5:2 fasting where you fast two days a week (never back to back) and I went from 230 to 210 losing about 1 to 2 lbs a week. I still choose to do it once in a while when I have a higher than normal calorie weekend. So I do a 24 hour 500 calorie fast from Sunday evening after dinner to Monday evening where I have a normal dinner. There are a lot of ways to lower your calorie intake in a day, this just worked nice for me and I support people who do it.

Current weight 195 and not looking back =)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Some u people rude on here... god damn whztver wasting my time

im-sorry-i-thought-this-was-america-randy-marsh-south-park.jpg
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Hello.... troll!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A while back I was stuck at 230 so I did the 5:2 fasting where you fast two days a week (never back to back) and I went from 230 to 210 losing about 1 to 2 lbs a week. I still choose to do it once in a while when I have a higher than normal calorie weekend. So I do a 24 hour 500 calorie fast from Sunday evening after dinner to Monday evening where I have a normal dinner. There are a lot of ways to lower your calorie intake in a day, this just worked nice for me and I support people who do it.

Current weight 195 and not looking back =)

Does that mean I do a 24hr 3000kcal fast on most days?
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Watch your calories ... you lose body fat , not just on your stomach, every where

I do this now. But I dont limit myself to times that I can eat. I wake up at 6 am and go to bed at 10 pm. I eat all of my cals (even the ones I burn during exercise) all throughout the day but dont eat when I am sleeping. I guess I am on the 16/8 fast type of diet. Except I eat for 16 instead of 8.

Oh and I eat what ever I want, just not as much as I used to. ends up around 1800-20000 cals a day, depending on my fitness level.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Give it a try .....

TL;DR
    :smile:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Details from the start would have been nice.....

Either way, I don't understand what good fasting does for the long term benefits of health. It's not healthy to not eat. Your body needs food to fuel it and learning how to eat with balance and control is a big portion of a lifestyle change.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I believe that the OP is referring to Lean Gains 18/6 fast diet..which I did for about six months and had nice results on ..unfortunately, I could just not fit the eating pattern into my lifestyle...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Either way, I don't understand what good fasting does for the long term benefits of health. It's not healthy to not eat. Your body needs food to fuel it and learning how to eat with balance and control is a big portion of a lifestyle change.

sorry but this is wrong...fasting, done properly, has healthy benefits and can also help break through some plateaus.

You may want to read up more on IF/Lean Gains before you make a blanket statement about something you do not understand...
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

There's absolutely nothing unhealthy about not eating for 16 hours. Our bodies are quite capable of surviving off fat stores, which many people have. In fact, we store fat so we can use it during times of food shortage. We aren't storing it because of it's looks. :drinker:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes elimate toxins

It also burns your carbs. It just...burns up all your carbs

tumblr_inline_mpbmzmoZJm1qz4rgp.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

There's absolutely nothing unhealthy about not eating for 16 hours. Our bodies are quite capable of surviving off fat stores, which many people have. In fact, we store fat so we can use it during times of food shortage. We aren't storing it because of it's looks. :drinker:

It's not unhealthy for me to go 16 hours without eating.

It's unhealthy for anyone who tries to come near me.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

sorry but this is wrong...fasting, done properly, has healthy benefits and can also help break through some plateaus.

You may want to read up more on IF/Lean Gains before you make a blanket statement about something you do not understand...

I have worked with a nutritionist for 7 years now. I understand plenty. That is why I don't see how something you can't incoorporate into your everyday life will work in the long run.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I have worked with a nutritionist for 7 years now. I understand plenty. That is why I don't see how something you can't incoorporate into your everyday life will work in the long run.

Ummm plenty of people incorporate IF into there daily life and do great with it..there is a whole group of people on there that do the 5:2 fast diet...

Based on your critique, you do not understand IF or 5:2. You still eat your calories for the day you just have a fasting window, or in the case of 5:2 a fasting day...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Oh wow, is this going to turn into an IF debate? Trust me, as a recovering anorexic, I was horrified when I stumbled across IF/Leangains for the first time on here.

The "fasting" throws people off. Depending on scheduling, it's literally just skipping breakfast. Eating 12-6, or 12-8. Sometimes some people do 9-5. It's just meal timing; your sleep is part of that fast.

As a nutritionist, surely you know meal timing is irrelevant. Some people don't feel energetic from eating in the morning, or enjoy eating later in the afternoon. Some people's work schedules result in an IF plan.

Not everyone likes to eat in 8 hours; some people like to snack or eat throughout the day. That's fine. Others find meal timing to be more beneficial.

People eat IF in the long-term all the time. It's just... meal timing, not a "diet."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I believe that the OP is referring to Lean Gains 18/6 fast diet..which I did for about six months and had nice results on ..unfortunately, I could just not fit the eating pattern into my lifestyle...

It's working great for me so far.

I still question the idea of eating at a certain time, and fasting the rest of the time, is any different than just eating when you want. But, if you believe the Lean Gains guy, he's pretty passionate about it, and many people seem to get results. There seems to be research that supports fasting as a way of life. Before modern technology, people fasted all the time, not on purpose, LOL, but because food wasn't so available as it is right now.

Meh. I dunno. I'm just trying it. It fits in perfectly with my lifestyle. It's really easy actually.

I'm on the fence if there are benefits. Supposedly, it's good for fat burning. I eat at maintenance, and I do seem to be getting results (losing fat), although, I need to give it more time.

it was tough for me because I work from 8am to 4pm and then hit gym from like 5:00 to 6:30 ..so I had to get home cook a bunch of food and then if I did not hit my cals had to scramble to make something else..Just felt like I was cooking ALL the time..

It was easier when I was eating about 2000 a day on a cut, but when I went to 2500 to 2700 a day it was a lot of cooking/eating..but I would go back to it if I could fit it into my schedule...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Just stop. IF works fine and is not unhealthy and many people incorporate it into their everyday lives for the long run just fine.

BTW, working with a nutritionist doesn't make you a nutritionist, just like working with a doctor doesn't make you a doctor.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You're the worst troll ever. You don't even use the same name consistently.

F for effort.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

Ummm plenty of people incorporate IF into there daily life and do great with it..there is a whole group of people on there that do the 5:2 fast diet...

Based on your critique, you do not understand IF or 5:2. You still eat your calories for the day you just have a fasting window, or in the case of 5:2 a fasting day...

Ok, so it works for them, and that is great. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with fasting in any form. From what I have been taught from my nutritionsit these years working with her it's never a good idea to fast. Eating small meals throughout the day to hit a calorie goal without fasting, in my opinion, is a much better idea than fasting.