fasting diet works....

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Details from the start would have been nice.....

Either way, I don't understand what good fasting does for the long term benefits of health. It's not healthy to not eat. Your body needs food to fuel it and learning how to eat with balance and control is a big portion of a lifestyle change.

There's absolutely nothing unhealthy about not eating for 16 hours. Our bodies are quite capable of surviving off fat stores, which many people have. In fact, we store fat so we can use it during times of food shortage. We aren't storing it because of it's looks. :drinker:

It's not unhealthy for me to go 16 hours without eating.

It's unhealthy for anyone who tries to come near me.

What if I avert my eyes and toss you a pop tart?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Details from the start would have been nice.....
    way, I don't understand what good fasting does for the long term benefits of health. It's not healthy to not eat. Your body needs food to fuel it and learning how to eat with balance and control is a big portion of a lifestyle change.

There's absolutely nothing unhealthy about not eating for 16 hours. Our bodies are quite capable of surviving off fat stores, which many people have. In fact, we store fat so we can use it during times of food shortage. We aren't storing it because of it's looks. :drinker:

It's not unhealthy for me to go 16 hours without eating.

It's unhealthy for anyone who tries to come near me.

What if I avert my eyes and toss you a pop tart?

That'll buy you about 10 seconds of distraction.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Give it a try .....

TL;DR
    :smile:

This comment wins the thread.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You're the worst troll ever. You don't even use the same name consistently.

F for effort.

giggle.gif
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I'm glad you said meal timing is irrelevant.

I'm not arguing. I'm genuinely asking, because this is the part if IF I don't understand. What is the actual benefit? What is it doing?

It seems like IF is all about meal timing. But, then research suggests that meal timing doesn't matter. I'm confused on that point.

Hi,

I wonder if this article might help you understand the science behind IF, how and why it works. :drinker:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html

I am still learning. this article (as well as the lively discussion) has been very helpful. :flowerforyou:
    Proceed! :drinker:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    U welcome.. cant eat breakfast.. from 2pm to 10pm between those hours u can eat whatever u want but watch what u eat... thats all

What if I close my eyes while I eat, will it work then?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    To the 'nutritionist' on this thread (note: not a dietitian then....)

I see from your profile that you're in Lincoln.

So for your info, this is what the NHS says about the currently available research on 5:2 / IF....

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

It probably really is time to update your CPD.

She isn't a nutritionist. She's worked with a nutritionist. This qualifies her to tell all you people, who have managed to be more successful than losing 2 of 32 pounds since joining in January of 2013, that they're doing everything wrong.

Oh cool!!! That means because I work with dietitians that trumps it? Fabulous!! :drinker:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to inform Dr. Oz about this!

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it works for them, and that is great. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with fasting in any form. From what I have been taught from my nutritionsit these years working with her it's never a good idea to fast. Eating small meals throughout the day to hit a calorie goal without fasting, in my opinion, is a much better idea than fasting.

Your nutritionist is an idiot. Seriously. He or she is extremely ignorant of actual knowledge of nutrition and physiology. Many small meals throughout the day does nothing that IF does not.

Just stop. Seriously. Stop telling people how it is and start listening to them instead. You are not knowledgeable enough to either agree or disagree with IF.

Seriously. Please also research the credentials required to be a nutritionist versus a dietician. You may be surprised. I'd encourage you to do some research into fasting if you truly believe it's 'dangerous' or unnatural.

Barbell - you have one of the best bodies on this entire forum. How dare you give diet advice, clearly you're wrong. I knew someone who lost a lot of weight by not fasting ever so clearly the idea of alternative diet paths is absolutely bogus. Your amazing body CAN NOT have ever fasted otherwise you'd be falling apart and lacking major protein and stuff that makes your body exist.

Side note: I have fasted, it worked, I loved it and felt great. I currently do IF naturally as I generally lack the time to put together a meal of worth during the day and I'm not dying so it's pretty good. I *have* read, and researched, that if you're doing a prolonged fast (7+ Days, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead style) you should *NOT* exercise. You get pretty light headed just standing up, so I can seriously relate to how that could be dangerous. I've also read (but not thoroughly delved into) how fasting is essentially giving your body a pretty awesome work out. Don't know how much truth that holds, though.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it works for them, and that is great. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with fasting in any form. From what I have been taught from my nutritionsit these years working with her it's never a good idea to fast. Eating small meals throughout the day to hit a calorie goal without fasting, in my opinion, is a much better idea than fasting.

Your nutritionist is an idiot. Seriously. He or she is extremely ignorant of actual knowledge of nutrition and physiology. Many small meals throughout the day does nothing that IF does not.

Just stop. Seriously. Stop telling people how it is and start listening to them instead. You are not knowledgeable enough to either agree or disagree with IF.

Seriously. Please also research the credentials required to be a nutritionist versus a dietician. You may be surprised. I'd encourage you to do some research into fasting if you truly believe it's 'dangerous' or unnatural.

Barbell - you have one of the best bodies on this entire forum. How dare you give diet advice, clearly you're wrong. I knew someone who lost a lot of weight by not fasting ever so clearly the idea of alternative diet paths is absolutely bogus. Your amazing body CAN NOT have ever fasted otherwise you'd be falling apart and lacking major protein and stuff that makes your body exist.

Side note: I have fasted, it worked, I loved it and felt great. I currently do IF naturally as I generally lack the time to put together a meal of worth during the day and I'm not dying so it's pretty good. I *have* read, and researched, that if you're doing a prolonged fast (7+ Days, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead style) you should *NOT* exercise. You get pretty light headed just standing up, so I can seriously relate to how that could be dangerous. I've also read (but not thoroughly delved into) how fasting is essentially giving your body a pretty awesome work out. Don't know how much truth that holds, though.

Haha, yep, you can see that from doing IF I'm totally wasting away and devoid of any muscle or strength! :laugh:

It fits into my lifestyle well. Most days I don't wake up hungry, and I actually strength train in the morning in a fasted state. I do however take my BCAA during my workout which is five calories. I break my fast with my post workout shake. IF isn't for everyone, but I had to speak up regarding that comment one poster made about how unhealthy it is not to eat all the time. I would argue the contrary, it's eating ALL the time that's unnatural and unhealthy. :drinker:
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    So true OP! I fast every night between 10 pm and 7 am, then eat whatever I want within reason all other times... And a few days I even exercise. My ticker doesn't lie!

You call it fasting, I call it life. You say potato, I say vodka. :flowerforyou:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~Fascinated~

What I've decided is that so long as you are getting a healthy amount of calories and exercise, how you go about doing it, and when you do it over the course of a day or week aren't all that important.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    ~Fascinated~

What I've decided is that so long as you are getting a healthy amount of calories and exercise, how you go about doing it, and when you do it over the course of a day or week aren't all that important.

Bingo. If what you're doing isn't unhealthy or dangerous and it works for you, then it really is about moving your body and giving your body the calories it needs to sustain that movement.

Being over or under on a particular day isn't really that important as long as you're getting what you need over the week.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Haha, yep, you can see that from doing IF I'm totally wasting away and devoid of any muscle or strength! :laugh:

It fits into my lifestyle well. Most days I don't wake up hungry, and I actually strength train in the morning in a fasted state. I do however take my BCAA during my workout which is five calories. I break my fast with my post workout shake. IF isn't for everyone, but I had to speak up regarding that comment one poster made about how unhealthy it is not to eat all the time. I would argue the contrary, it's eating ALL the time that's unnatural and unhealthy. :drinker:

QFT!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Trust me its works... I have a all most a six pack.. I do gym almost 5 times a day go nights at the gym..

Let's stop arguing with each other and bring the focus back to OP. She goes to the the gym 5 times a day. Surely that is the source of the all most a six pack and not the fasting.

Which explains her lack of time to deal with our shenangians.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You're the worst troll ever. You don't even use the same name consistently.

F for effort.

giggle.gif

This.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Fasting = 8 hours of sleep.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Trust me its works... I have a all most a six pack.. I do gym almost 5 times a day go nights at the gym..

Let's stop arguing with each other and bring the focus back to OP. She goes to the the gym 5 times a day. Surely that is the source of the all most a six pack and not the fasting.

If someone actually has a six pack...does that trump someone that almost has a six pack?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    IF'ing is fine. So is not IF'ing. Eat in a way that allows you to hit your calorie and macro targets, allows the most enjoyable lifestyle, is easiest to adhere to, and helps the most with gym performance.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    IF'ing is fine. So is not IF'ing. Eat in a way that allows you to hit your calorie and macro targets, allows the most enjoyable lifestyle, is easiest to adhere to, and helps the most with gym performance.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR LOGIC!