fasting diet works....

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    To the 'nutritionist' on this thread (note: not a dietitian then....)

I see from your profile that you're in Lincoln.

So for your info, this is what the NHS says about the currently available research on 5:2 / IF....

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

It probably really is time to update your CPD.

She isn't a nutritionist. She's worked with a nutritionist. This qualifies her to tell all you people, who have managed to be more successful than losing 2 of 32 pounds since joining in January of 2013, that they're doing everything wrong.

Oh cool!!! That means because I work with dietitians that trumps it? Fabulous!! :drinker:

so if I work with Brain surgeons then I can perform brain surgery...????
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Me first, Me first, Me first, Me first, :laugh: :laugh: :explode:
  • BurningAway
    Options
    IF'ing is fine. So is not IF'ing. Eat in a way that allows you to hit your calorie and macro targets, allows the most enjoyable lifestyle, is easiest to adhere to, and helps the most with gym performance.

Sara ruins everything with her perfect body and logic pfft she must be a witch...;p
  • BurningAway
    Options
    To the 'nutritionist' on this thread (note: not a dietitian then....)

I see from your profile that you're in Lincoln.

So for your info, this is what the NHS says about the currently available research on 5:2 / IF....

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

It probably really is time to update your CPD.

She isn't a nutritionist. She's worked with a nutritionist. This qualifies her to tell all you people, who have managed to be more successful than losing 2 of 32 pounds since joining in January of 2013, that they're doing everything wrong.

Oh cool!!! That means because I work with dietitians that trumps it? Fabulous!! :drinker:

NO! It only qualifies you too tell the Neurosurgeons how to operate dont be stupid! ;p
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    lol.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    There was a very interesting documentary on BBC Horizon called Eat Fast Live Longer 2012 The presenter tried various fasting diets and was monitored on each and they found there were significant health benefits to intermittent fasting. He was not badly overweight just a bit of a paunch but he did have a higher percentage of visceral fat than he should have. This had reduced by the end of the experiment. He ended up continuing the 2 day a week fast because the medical evidence that his health had improved was so overwhelming.

Worth a watch.

Personally I find it very difficult to maintain. Just the thought of not eating for more than about 6 hours makes me weak with hunger.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I fast when I sleep, seems to work nicely.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mqsgznjjcG1qz4rgp.gif
    this is what op means right?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This fasting diet sounds like hell to me. I am wondering what happens when you reach your goal weight and go back to eating normally? It does not sound like something that could feasibly be kept up as a lifestyle. I would rather just do TDEE. That is much easier.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This fasting diet sounds like hell to me. I am wondering what happens when you reach your goal weight and go back to eating normally? It does not sound like something that could feasibly be kept up as a lifestyle. I would rather just do TDEE. That is much easier.

A lot of people do IF whether losing, maintaining, or bulking.

It doesn't work for everyone. It works for some people.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Fasting can mean many things. It can mean IF, the most common of which are 5:2, ESE, and leangains style. It can also mean fasting for longer periods (which I am assuming is not being discussed here as that comes with different issues).

I do a loose version of leangains style IF as not eating breakfast *is* normal to me. I do try to have something before training if I train in the morning, but other than that, I do not want or see a benefit to eating breakfast in the morning. I am the same whether I am cutting or bulking.

IF is/can be TDEE - at the end of the day/week (depending on the IF), you end up with a deficit/surplus against TDEE.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    There was a very interesting documentary on BBC Horizon called Eat Fast Live Longer 2012 The presenter tried various fasting diets and was monitored on each and they found there were significant health benefits to intermittent fasting. He was not badly overweight just a bit of a paunch but he did have a higher percentage of visceral fat than he should have. This had reduced by the end of the experiment. He ended up continuing the 2 day a week fast because the medical evidence that his health had improved was so overwhelming.

Worth a watch.

Personally I find it very difficult to maintain. Just the thought of not eating for more than about 6 hours makes me weak with hunger.

There could be something more recent that I have missed, but as far as I am aware, there is no clear evidence of health benefits of 5:2 outside that of normal calorie restriction.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

It's not different than your TDEE. You can eat your TDEE, or TDEE-20%, or TDEE+20%, and still be doing IF.

The "fasting" is just going without eating for a period of time.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Worth a watch.

There could be something more recent that I have missed, but as far as I am aware, there is no clear evidence of health benefits of 5:2 outside that of normal calorie restriction.

She is referring to this documentary
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

My problem with 5:2 is that it extrapolate the positive side effects on Dr Varady research on alternate day fasting. ADF
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I practice ISMCH (Intermittent Stuffing My Cake Hole), I can recommend it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Worth a watch.

She is referring to this documentary
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

My problem with 5:2 is that it extrapolate the positive side effects on Dr Varady research on alternate day fasting. ADF

I was referring to actual peer reviewed studies. Does this documentary cite them so that they can be reviewed?
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yes it works to lose weight; too bad I want to lose fat.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I have a few friends that eat one meal a day and have for years. Easier to eat a balanced meal and less overall food prep.
  • chris42376
    chris42376 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No.