"You're still fat"

Options

Replies

• dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the four miles. What a great achievement. Hold your head up high and be so very glad that you are you and not one of them. Keep on walking, it's good for body, mind and spirit!!
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This almost brought a tear to my eye. :')

It brought several to mine...

To the OP: I have been in your shoes and I know how that feels. At the time, I was furious at the people heckling me, but then I realized how pathetic their lives must be to feel the need to do something like that! Congratulations on the 4 miles and you've got your head on straight. They don't have the power to hurt you unless you give it to them. :flowerforyou:
  • JMRGrant
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on your 4 miles. Feeling the need to be catty "you're losing weight BUT ugly goes all the way to the bone"....Bless you and keep up the GREAT work!!!!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You should make a shirt for your self, and on the back it should something like this,

Call me FAT as much as you want,
    It will not stop me.
    1 day I will run my FAT *kitten* over you..
  • lazra79
    lazra79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One time I walked into a bar during my friends bachelorette party, I was giving the bounce my ID when this jerky guy came up behind the bouncer and said to me, "You're too fat to come in here." I pretended I didn't hear him and went to the bathroom and began to cry. My friends asked me what was wrong and when I told them we all left. I felt humiliated and wished I would have said something snarky back to him, but hind sight is always 20/20. Instead I am using his rude comments to fuel the fire already inside me. I am almost 90 lbs smaller than that and I know I still have a ways to go, but every time I slip into a smaller size I hear his voice getting smaller and smaller.

You can do it! You should always hold your head high and in the future if someone says something nasty you can be nasty back if you want. Lol. My favorite line is: I may be fat now, but fat is temporary. Unfortunately for you ugly is forever. :)
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You're are doing something to improve yourself and she is not.

The sad truth is that they are jerks in this world who love to say mean things just to hurt you. It does hurt at first, but you can turn into motivation easily.

I was teaching 5th grade when I gave my students a writing prompt that dealt with winning a pet hippo. One student wrote a story about the hippo whom they had named Miss Stacy (me!), and described how Miss Stacy was so fat a flatbed truck had to be used to take her to school each day. I didn't let him see that it had upset me, but it did really hurt. He was a kid and kids can be cruel, but I couldn't deny that what he had written stung quite a bit.
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that that happened to you. :-( Some people get pleasure out of making others feel bad about themselves. You just have to push forward and not care what anyone has to say. 36 lbs ago, a child called me "a big b****". Yes, it did hurt but I used it as my motivation. Even though I still have a ways to go, I am on the right path to accomplish my goal of losing 72 lbs. So are you! Hold your head high and keep at what is working for you. Whatever our fitness goal is, we all have to start from somewhere.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    F**k that as*hole. Keep it up. Let it go.

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal to throw at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." Buddha
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of people mention Karma, and I'm a firm believer in it as well. Those girls will get what they deserve. That sounds mean, but hey, look what they did to you. Also, I feel sorry for them. They might be pretty, and skinny, they could even be rich for all we know, but they are lacking in so many areas. They aren't lacking solely in inner beauty, or even the ability to be courteous and keep their mouths shut when they don't have anything nice to say... Where they are really lacking is self confidence. They might think that they're the s**t because they're beautiful, but I have news for you and for them. Anyone who feels the need to put other people down; insult them, especially when they're very obviously working so hard at improving themselves, clearly has some major self esteem issues themselves. Someone who is comfortable with themself, would be happy for you, and tell you how great you're doing, or congratulate you for the hard work you're putting in, not put you down and embarrass you.

The other thing is, those girls have no idea what you've gone through in your life. They have no idea what it's like to not be able to hide the one thing you hate most about yourself from other people (at least it is for me). They were lucky enough to be born with "skinny genes" and grow up with the right kind of lifestyle to stay thin and healthy. There are a million reasons people become overweight. Some are more justified than others, yes. But still, people who have never been overweight have no idea what us curvy people go through.

You don't need a million strangers to tell you that working towards our goals is a process. And a really tough one at that. I can totally understand how this effected you so harshly, it would for pretty much anyone. The important thing is that you never forget this experience. Keep it in the back of your mind everyday while you're working out, while you're preparing your meals and while you're saying no to ever damn temptation. Consider the possibility that a year from now, maybe you'll be on your daily run on that same street, and those girls will pass by you again. Think of the expression on their faces when they see how amazing you look and how far you've come since they day they *tried* to break you. Don't let them win. Be the bigger person... (no pun intended). But seriously, you win when you use this as motivation, not as a reason to give up.

Good luck to you. And never give up or lose faith in yourself, because you CAN and WILL get to your goal.
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    you might still be overweight, but at least you're doing something to fix it! those girls will probably always be *****es. you just keep up the good work and forget about them! karma's only a ***** if you are :wink:
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm appalled that this happens to people. Please please please know that for every 1 *kitten* doing this, there are at least 10 people silently cheering you on. And 100 who are too busy thinking about their own lives to even notice you.

Also, these girls have one thing going for them. They're conventionally pretty. That's it. And that will fade. You have so many more things going for you! You have determination, you have intelligence, you're sympathetic and look for a person's value beside their appearance.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    People like that are horrible, but 4 miles is awesome.
    You're trying to be healthier and you're succeeding and that's great.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    WWrsO6k.png

Thank you for sharing this! Brought tears to my eyes.

This is the greatest thing ever!!! Had me tearing up too! Thank you for posting.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have to share something that I have kept secret for a few days.
    For the first time last friday, I actually got to the 4 mile mark during my walk. This was a huge, huge, huge accomplishment for me. All of my MFP friends know that I am about 100 pounds over- weight, but I have been working very hard and I am dedicated to being a better me. I am down 15 pounds and will probably hit 16 this week. With that said, I was at the end of my walk last Friday and I turned around to head back home. I came to a stop light. While at the stop light, I didn’t want my heart rate to drop, so I did a slow jog. I am not the most graceful person and I know that I am a sight to see when trying to run. But I was doing my best and I was proud of myself. While I was waiting at the light, a car full of cute “skinny” girls pulled up to the stop light. They rolled the windows down and made an effort to make sure I knew they were laughing at me. When the light turned green and they began to drive off, the person closest to me yelled, “You’re still fat”. I immediately stopped in my tracks and slumped over in sadness. How could people that I don’t even know steal my joy? How could people that I don’t even know be so cruel? Why did they even care? Why make the effort to go out of their way to be hurtful? I just don’t understand. This incident didn’t deter me. I am still just as focused on my goals as ever. But I can’t deny that it had an effect on me. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I said to myself, “you ARE still fat”. Sometimes the truth hurts. I obviously have a weight problem. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing this. But it is amazing how words either positive or negative can change your outlook. I don’t know what my point is here. I just want everyone to know that when you say “good job” or “you can do it”, it means more to me than you will ever know. Words are powerful. I won’t drop a bunch of cliché’s and antidotes in this situation because you probably have heard them all. I wasn’t even going to mention this to my MFP community, but I decided that getting it out would allow me to move on. I found a great quote. See below and be nice to each other. =0)

“Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.” ~Shirley MacLaine

Maybe you are still fat - but you're doing all you can and changing that, and doing extremely well and anyway, so what, you're a kind and thoughtful and generous person :flowerforyou:

They're shallow, spitelful and ignorant. They're doomed. They don't have the power to steal your joy - they don't know what that is, they will never appreciate how precious it is. It's so far far above their heads! Give them no more attention than you would a badly behaved dog crapping on the pavement - that's just about where they are!
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm not nearly as big as you, but I'm not skinny, either.
    I realized that you were trying to be supportive. However, may be should watch the way that we word things.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If that girl had 90 lbs strapped to her middle, I bet she wouldn't even have made it off her couch. You made it 4 miles. That is some serious power.

“All savageness is a sign of weakness.“
    -Seneca
  • conqueringsquidlette
    Options
    Note to self: Holler "You're Awesome" at people you drive by more often.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 4 miles. I am proud of you and you should be proud of yourself too.
    The comment really shows how small minded and stupid those people are and one day they will reap what they sowed. You may not be around to see it but they will.
    The other day I just pondered the fact why so many people in our society think it is ok to make fun of people who are overweight. We are taught to be tolerant about people that are handicapped and different, but people that are overweight are automatically viewed as undisciplined and lazy. People have no idea how hard it is to live in an overweight body and how many factors play into obesity. Yes, we can change our weight to some extent, but there are so many underlying factors that especially many of us who have a lot to lose need to work on. Loosing won't happen over night for us . People that make fun of especially morbidly obese people do not even recognize the complexity of this disease. Remember though when you encounter such shallow people, you can work on losing weight, they can't work on being less stupid. They probably won't change much over the course of their lives. However, your weight loss journey will be a golden opportunity to learn a lot about yourself and gain a lot of insight into your being. And it will give you the tools to help and inspire others along the path of their journeys. You will become one of those people that others who face their weight loss struggles will look to for inspiration and help.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can lose the weight... Unfortunately, they can't lose those *kitten* attitudes. :flowerforyou: