Why is this even remotely controversial?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Now what happened? I swear I can't turn my back for two seconds on you kids.

gonna roll this sucker again LMAO
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am not in the least bit naive. I would curl your toes with some of the things I could tell you I've lived through and come out the other side of. Or the things people in my family have lived through.

You seem to assume my life has always been easy and that I've never witnessed anything awful. I assure you, I have.

Uh .... okay then.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Here's some contrversial topics for ya!

1. NFL teams shouldn't wear pink in the uniforms the whole freakin' month of October. One Sunday is fine

2. A lot of gays are not born that way.

3. Wimmin shouldn't vote.

Regarding item one, the whole pink craze has become a bit of a cash grab the way it's slapped on to everything. Why doesn't testicle cancer get the same amount of attention? Not as sexy I guess.
  • yoovie
    Options

So, she kicks the deadbeat out. Now she must quit her jobs because there is no one to watch the children while she works. But hey, no food = weight loss and now she has time to workout. Win!

So she should stay in a bad situation to avoid paying for daycare? :huh::laugh:

wait - she was letting an abusive drunk babysit the kids?? who IS this person??
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So, she kicks the deadbeat out. Now she must quit her jobs because there is no one to watch the children while she works. But hey, no food = weight loss and now she has time to workout. Win!

If she's leaving her children with a man like that day in and day out, she probably lost custody to the state already, anyway.

And if not, hey! Guess where I work! The agency that oversees subsidized child care just for people like the woman in your example.

Yep, you're right. She's just a lazy beotch that should get her *kitten* in gear and get fit.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Mom of three, deadbeat drunken unemployed husband, working one full and 2 part times in fast food. Husband drinks a good percentage of her income, so she eats free at the fast food places and spends her money buying food and clothing for the kids. She works 70-90 hrs per week and the rest is spent on housework, laundry, nurturing the kids, cleaning up after the deadbeat and sleep. No family or friends to help.
    Um...wasn't places like the YMCA and the Salvation Army Kroc centers developed for reasons such as this? So ALL persons would have access to exercise choices?

An earthquake destroyed the YMCA and Salvation Army.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    My "side" is that your personal example is not proof that every mother living in poverty has the opportunity to become fit. They don't necessarily have to be fat, but sometimes regular workouts simply is not possible. Some people have really hard lives.

I'm still waiting for an example. I asked for one a couple pages ago.

Mom of three, deadbeat drunken unemployed husband, working one full and 2 part times in fast food. Husband drinks a good percentage of her income, so she eats free at the fast food places and spends her money buying food and clothing for the kids. She works 70-90 hrs per week and the rest is spent on housework, laundry, nurturing the kids, cleaning up after the deadbeat and sleep. No family or friends to help.
    Well, clearly she could leave the husband since he's irrelevent and she's doing all the work and paying all the bills.

Her job is pretty active (see above in my comments) and she probably walks a great deal to get to and from work. She can eat less to lose weight and get the muscle definition.

Is it hard? Sure.

Not impossible, though, and money isn't a barrier.

It is all about choices and that one isn't any less about choices. She chooses to stay with a deadbeat who drinks and doesn't work instead of taking control. As I said, if she truly wanted it, there's no reason she couldn't achieve it.

Not sure if you are really this naive??

Not sure if you are really this downbeat that you can't realize people have a choice to allow themselves to stay in a bad situation or to better their lives/themselves.

ok please really try to imagine that these are real decisions with real impact on people's lives, that they have to make. stretch yourself. (not just you wheird, all the people who are not "downbeat")
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I wonder how people would react to someone waving a PhD certificate around saying "What's your excuse?"
    (...)
    There is a difference. A PhD is not feasible for all people, perhaps not even most.
    Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is.

For what it's worth, I don't think she looked all that hot in the original image (elbows too pointy) it was clearly chosen so as to highlight her fitness level rather than her attractiveness.

That swimsuit pic on the other hand :love:

A PhD is mostly hard work in the same way that achieving a certain body condition is hard work.

I wouldn't post a picture of my graduation along side my kids/husband/dogs/hamster and say 'what's your excuse" because it seems a bit big headed and assumes that everyone should have the same goals as me.

In addition to "hard work," it requires the ability to achieve a Master's first, and a Bachelor's, oh and a high school diploma. That is *not* achievable for people with less-than-average intelligence. You don't have to be smart to be fit. You do have to be smart to get a PhD.

Are we not talking about the average person here though? People are arguing that the average person could achieve her body and are making excuses if they can't. I would argue that anyone of average intelligence could achieve a phD if that's what they wanted and they put the time in. I was not talking about people of below average intelligence, that would be like saying people with physical limitations would be able to achieve the body of the lady in question.

I was talking about *all* people.
  • bcattoes
    Options

wait - she was letting an abusive drunk babysit the kids?? who IS this person??

I never said abusive.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My "side" is that your personal example is not proof that every mother living in poverty has the opportunity to become fit. They don't necessarily have to be fat, but sometimes regular workouts simply is not possible. Some people have really hard lives.

Well, clearly she could leave the husband since he's irrelevent and she's doing all the work and paying all the bills.

Her job is pretty active (see above in my comments) and she probably walks a great deal to get to and from work. She can eat less to lose weight and get the muscle definition.

Is it hard? Sure.

It is all about choices and that one isn't any less about choices. She chooses to stay with a deadbeat who drinks and doesn't work instead of taking control. As I said, if she truly wanted it, there's no reason she couldn't achieve it.

Not sure if you are really this downbeat that you can't realize people have a choice to allow themselves to stay in a bad situation or to better their lives/themselves.

Yes, because having drunkard of a husband watching the kids is an awesome choice. There are government assistance programs that can help with situations like this, by the way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If she's leaving her children with a man like that day in and day out, she probably lost custody to the state already, anyway.

And if not, hey! Guess where I work! The agency that oversees subsidized child care just for people like the woman in your example.

Yep, you're right. She's just a lazy beotch that should get her *kitten* in gear and get fit.
    I didn't say that. I said she's making a choice and she is.

There are programs out there specifically to help people in her situation. She can take advatage of them and improve her life or she can stay in her lousy situation. Either way, it is a choice, not an excuse. Hers to make, though.
  • yoovie
    Options

Only if she wants to and complains every day on the internet about how she wishes she could be fit.

if she doesnt want to be fit, then she can spend that time doing what she does want to do.

But I was under the impression you were speaking about someone who really really really wanted to get fit.

This entire thread and its previous one have nothing to do with people who arent trying to get fit.

pretty sure we explained that already.

but yeah. If hypothetical you can make the time and have the space on the floor to do pushups, but instead of working out and working toward your goals, hypothetical you sits there like a lump and explains why it wont work for you and wahhhhhhhhhhhh, then yeah - stay fat and quit complaining.

youre only allowed to complain about a situation that you are doing everything in your power to change. - my dad
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Um...wasn't places like the YMCA and the Salvation Army Kroc centers developed for reasons such as this? So ALL persons would have access to exercise choices?

Or it's a rural area with no YMCA or Salvation Army within reasonable distance.
  • yoovie
    Options

and I never called ANYONE a lazy *****
    dont put those words in my mouth.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Is it hard? Sure.

ok please really try to imagine that these are real decisions with real impact on people's lives, that they have to make. stretch yourself. (not just you wheird, all the people who are not "downbeat")

What makes you think no one here has gone through similar situations? What makes you think no one here has any experience with getting out of a bad situation? That we understand all too well about "real decisions that impact people's lives?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Only if she wants to and complains every day on the internet about how she wishes she could be fit.

if she doesnt want to be fit, then she can spend that time doing what she does want to do.

But I was under the impression you were speaking about someone who really really really wanted to get fit.

This entire thread and its previous one have nothing to do with people who arent trying to get fit.

but yeah. If hypothetical you can make the time and have the space on the floor to do pushups, but instead of working out and working toward your goals, hypothetical you sits there like a lump and explains why it wont work for you and wahhhhhhhhhhhh, then yeah - stay fat and quit complaining.

youre only allowed to complain about a situation that you are doing everything in your power to change. - my dad

She can't afford the internet or a computer. But you are correct that she is not trying to get fit. She's just trying to survive.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options

:heart: Love this! I'm using it!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Or it's a rural area with no YMCA or Salvation Army within reasonable distance.
    Is the street outside her house made of lava, preventing her from walking on it? Is she missing both hands, preventing her from doing pushups? How does she get to work at these fast food places?
  • yoovie
    Options
    Perhaps the woman who lives in the impoverished and difficult living conditions would say, "fitness is not a priority right now. Getting through this situation is."

^^^ this
  • PikaKnight
    Options

She can't afford the internet or a computer. But you are correct that she is not trying to get fit. She's just trying to survive.

Didn't realize public libraries charged memberships these days. Who knew?