Calories I don't count

Options

Replies

• SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't count some vegetables, specifically the ones that are so low calorie that they're a waste to put in every day (think a couple cups of spinach for salad ~14 calories, or red pepper, mushrooms, etc). I sort of have a mental note of which vegetables need to be counted because they're higher, like corn or tomatoes. Anything that gets put on the vegetables does get counted though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    They are natural and I didn't say 40 different pills, I said 30-40 pills. I take multiples of Fish oil, Vit. D-3, Royal Jelly, Garlic and magnesium.

Maybe if I log them all I will have an easier time getting my calories in.

Pills are by definition not natural.

30-40 pills is ridiculous and unhealthy. And extremely unnatural.

maybe you should do some investigative research on these pills I have listed if you think they are so unhealthy. Personally, I know what works for me.

You're like the people who used to come in the pharmacy where I worked. They bought every supplement that had in any way ever been linked to any kind of health benefit, especially if it was something "natural." they never stopped to think about how unnatural it was to spend all this money stuffing themselves with pills every morning, nor did they ever stop to think about what any possible negative effects all these things could have.

It's just more of the same mentality that makes people fat.
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    I am tracking more than calories. I also track the other nutrients like the Vit A, C, D and Potassium. I noticed that I fall short in the potassium. So I am trying to eat more potassium rich stuff. With that in mind, I do add the 4 cups of green tea, because each cup gives me 15 mg which gives me 60 mg. Also, adding the suppliments in your diary may not mean much in the calorie department, but they do if you are tracking the other nutrients.

Thanks I hadn't thought about that I might try tracking them for awhile and see if I learn anything from it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If I thought I was deficient in something I would research the types of foods that would supply me with those nutrients rather than popping a bunch of pills. If you feel your liver isn't working properly on it's own you should probably get that checked out. Most of the other stuff you're taking is pure Dr Oz pseudo science.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I log everything except the occasional breath mint or cough drop. I'm not quite that invested.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    I dont count calories from gum. I figure i burn the 5 calories chewing it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log steak. Just because, it's steak.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I find myself counting everything except smints. I'm struggling with the fact that you take so many supplements. I'd talk that over with your doc and see if its really necessary. I'd imagine that many would cost a lot of money that you could spend on good tasty food that you could enjoy eating to get those vitamins.
  • RachelLaine87
    RachelLaine87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do not long my 1 multivitamin with omega 3, which has 5 calories. I do log everything else.

I am not trying to bash you, but I do think you should try to wean? yourself off so many supplements. Try not taking 1 for 1-2 weeks and see how you feel. If you think you need it, add it back in. But you have to admit, popping 40 pills each morning is excessive. It might be more mental for you.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    30-40 pills? Everyday?

In answer to your question, I log everything.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Unless your reports said you were lacking something why would you take it ?
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't have calories... though I add about a shot of milk to a 16 oz iced coffee - that doesn't get counted. I drink hot coffee black and tea black (or green).

I don't count mints (tic-tacs, etc) or Tums. My other supplements don't have calories.

I don't count ice cream. Just kidding. When I eat it (seldom) it gets counted... that goes for *all* other food I eat.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Splenda

Lemon juice

Tea

Broccoli (Well i log it but I don't weigh it.)

Mustard

I don't weigh my other condiments, just kinda lazy eyeball it.

Occasional sips of my husbands Starbucks/soda

And if I ever get to a place where I'm not losing weight at a rate that pleases me I might change my mind on those things. But so far I'm fine so /shrug
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You should really, really consult with a doctor about all those supplements. Tell them exactly what you're taking, how much, and when, and bring the bottles. Then let your doctor decide if it is safe or not. I'm in med school, and if my patient told me they were taking all those things I'd be up all night researching and doing calculations to make sure they aren't harming themselves.

Taking high quantities of certain supplements can have very detrimental effects on the kidneys and liver- just the sheer physical stress of metabolizing all those pills could cause lasting damage! Supplements can also have dangerous interactions with each other- just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean it shouldn't be thought of like a "drug"! And it's great that you're not getting sick and everything, but you could be doing lots of damage to your kidneys and liver that you would never notice- it'll build up over decades and lead to serious, serious problems. -concerned future doctor!

that said......I don't track lettuce or black coffee or gum. haha. If I only use the quickest possible spritz of cooking spray I don't track that either, but usually I spray the whole pan ~1sec and then I do track it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't have calories... though I add about a shot of milk to a 16 oz iced coffee - that doesn't get counted. I drink hot coffee black and tea black (or green).

I don't count mints (tic-tacs, etc) or Tums. My other supplements don't have calories.

I don't count ice cream. Just kidding. When I eat it (seldom) it gets counted... that goes for *all* other food I eat.

It does have calories. Just not very many.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That "all of y'all" is so... SC...?
    According to MFP when I list my foods, black coffee (Folgers) has a zero calorie count.
    Isn't that correct, then?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't count my coffee calories. I will be drinking 1-2 cups of coffee everyday without fail the same way day in day out so I don't count them. I also don't count my supplements. I take a LOT of supplements and I noticed one pill could be 10 calories but I need these. I do stained glass so I handle lead and I need to take supplements to detox that lead out and I also take supplements to keep me healthy and prevent colds and infections I probably take close to 30 or 40 pills every morning.
    Am I the only one who does this? Do all of y'all log everything?

I don't log chocolate. Because I NEED it. LOL no just kidding I log it and everything else supplements or medicines or anything. It all adds up and my body and daily totals cannot distinguish between necessary calories or unnecessary ones. For the record, you do realize your body NEEDS food too right? And you have to log that.

I feel your question stems from a thinking glitch along the lines of guilt surrounding food and what I NEED is okay to have but not what I WANT. It's all okay as long as you use moderation and your cal counter and whatever measuring tools you have.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    According to MFP when I list my foods, black coffee (Folgers) has a zero calorie count.

It's technically negligible. Some brands list the calories as zero because I believe if the "food" is less than 5 calories they can call it zero.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's close enough. It probably says 0 potassium as well and that's not correct either.
    (It's the only reason I log coffee, for the potassium)