Calories I don't count

Options

Replies

• bluesmaven1
    Options
    I log my coffee and my vitamins and stuff. In fact, I saved them all as a "meal".

That's a great idea!
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    my body will process it anyway, this is just a tool and how I use it will determine my results. I didn't ask what y'all thought about my vitamin/supplement amounts. I've been doing supplements a long time in skinny times and in fat times. I just wanted to know if I should count it and now I have my answer. I have researched what I take and know how it affects me. As for doctors I don't trust all of them, one or 2 I like but many are nothing more than med pushers. The medicines have so many side effects it's ridiculous.
    Oh and I'm from Texas! LOL
    :bigsmile:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I count nothing.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just had a treat bag size of Maltesers and 3 gin & tonics (slimline) and I ain't counting them - its Friday night!!!! :bigsmile:
  • bremorrison
    Options
    Wow so my boyfriend isnt the only freak about those pills, he has me take almost 20 a day and tells me I need every single one. Ive never thought about counting them, but I count everything else that goes into my body.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Exactly what are you taking to detox yourself from lead? I've never heard of this and unless it's doctor prescribed I would be highly wary.

If you are taking 40 pills at 10 calories each that is 400 calories. That is a huge difference and you need to track it. Now most likely many of these pills don't have calories (only my fish oil does that I take).

I take Milk Thistle it helps the liver. But I wear an anti-toxin mask when I solder but every time I touch lead some can be absorbed through my skin. The last time my blood was tested I was fine. There is getting to be quite a lot of research done on Milk Thistle and I would recommend anyone interested in trying it to check out the research first.

Most of my supplements don't have 10 cals just a couple do.

POSSIBLY EFFECTIVE
    Allergic rhinitis. In one clinical trial, taking milk thistle extract 140 mg three times a day plus cetirizine (Zyrtec) 10 my daily for 1 month significantly decreased the severity of allergy symptoms compared to placebo plus cetirizine (18105).
    Diabetes. Taking the milk thistle constituent silymarin 200 mg three times daily for 4 months, in combination with conventional treatment, appears to significantly decrease fasting blood glucose, hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and triglycerides compared to placebo in patients with type 2 diabetes (15102). Other preliminary evidence suggests that silymarin 200 mg three times daily reduces insulin resistance in people with coexisting diabetes and alcoholic cirrhosis (2617).
    Dyspepsia. A specific combination product containing milk thistle (Iberogast, Medical Futures, Inc) seems to improve symptoms of dyspepsia. The combination includes milk thistle plus peppermint leaf, German chamomile, caraway, licorice, clown's mustard plant, celandine, angelica, and lemon balm (7049,12724). A meta-analysis of studies using this combination product suggests that taking 1 mL orally three times daily over a period of 4 weeks significantly reduces severity of acid reflux, epigastric pain, cramping, nausea, and vomiting compared to placebo (13089).

INSUFFICIENT RELIABLE EVIDENCE to RATE
    Alcohol-related liver disease. Preliminary clinical research suggests that milk thistle taken orally might be beneficial for decreasing mortality and improving liver function tests in patients with alcoholic liver disease (2613,2616,2618,7321,7322,7355,13150); however, analyses of high quality milk thistle studies suggests that milk thistle does not significantly affect mortality or liver function tests (LFTs) but may reduce aspartate aminotransferase levels in comparison to placebo in patients with alcohol-related liver disease (13150,17228).
    Amanita mushroom poisoning. Administering silibinin, a constituent of milk thistle, intravenously (IV) may lessen liver damage due to Amanita phalloides mushroom (death cap) poisoning (2615). Silibinin is not readily available in the US.
    Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C. Preliminary clinical research suggests a specific oral preparation of silibinin, an active constituent extracted from milk thistle, complexed with phosphatidylcholine (Silipide), might improve liver function tests (LFTs) in patients with chronic active hepatitis. Silibinin is complexed with phosphatidylcholine to theoretically improve the bioavailability of silibinin (7356). In another study, using a specific silymarin product (Legalon 140) hepatitis C patients reported feeling better, but objective measures of quality-of-life and liver function tests (LFTs) were not improved after a year of treatment (13170). Also, another clinical study showed that the chronic use of silymarin for approximately 35 months reduced the progression of liver disease from fibrosis to cirrhosis, but did not have any effect on clinical outcomes including mortality due to liver disease (17713).
    Two analyses of milk thistle and milk thistle-constituent studies suggest that overall these products do not significantly improve mortality or decrease LFTs in patients with hepatitis B or C (13150,17228).
    Toxin-induced liver damage. Some research suggests milk thistle may limit liver damage after exposure to industrial toxicants such as toluene and xylene (2614).
    Most clinical studies of milk thistle's effectiveness have used a specific extract standardized to 70% to 80% silymarin (Legalon). In the US, this formulation is found in the brand name product Thisilyn (Nature's Way).
    More evidence is needed to rate milk thistle for these uses.

It is also cautioned in use while taking Estrogens, Statins, Tamoxifen (Nolvadex), and Cytochrome P450 2C9 substrates & Cytchrom P450 3A4 substrates.

However with all of this comes the note that more research is still needed and being conducted.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    They are natural and I didn't say 40 different pills, I said 30-40 pills. I take multiples of Fish oil, Vit. D-3, Royal Jelly, Garlic and magnesium.

Maybe if I log them all I will have an easier time getting my calories in.

Pills are by definition not natural.

30-40 pills is ridiculous and unhealthy. And extremely unnatural.

maybe you should do some investigative research on these pills I have listed if you think they are so unhealthy. Personally, I know what works for me.

You're like the people who used to come in the pharmacy where I worked. They bought every supplement that had in any way ever been linked to any kind of health benefit, especially if it was something "natural." they never stopped to think about how unnatural it was to spend all this money stuffing themselves with pills every morning, nor did they ever stop to think about what any possible negative effects all these things could have.

It's just more of the same mentality that makes people fat.

There is research and peer-reviewed studies on Milk thistle see my other post. If you are going to see anyone about supplements a doctor is the last person I would see. Most have no idea what supplements are recommended for what or what levels would be considered toxic for what ones. If you are going to consult with anyone about the supplements it should be a Dietitian.

For the OP: If you want to learn more about what research shows on the supplements you are taking-info like I posted on the milk thistle, message me a list and I can get you the same kind of information. I got that from the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    40 pills every morning sounds a bit scary...
    It's not like pharmaceuticals it more like food, my diet is deficient in certain things so I supplement. It's 3 small swallows of pills every morning with water. I am 55 and pretty active, my husband is 65 and drives a concrete truck which is physically demanding work and he works between 65 and 70 hours a week and he takes as many supplements as I do. I have never seen him sick at all. We also are on zero medicines no prescriptions nothing like that.

...and ^this is why you should log them...at least the one's w/ calories.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just had a treat bag size of Maltesers and 3 gin & tonics (slimline) and I ain't counting them - its Friday night!!!! :bigsmile:

I LOVE maltesers. I can never find them in the states.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    don't know what sort of Omega3 / fish oil supplement some of you are taking, but mine clocks in at 180cals a day. I don't take it every day, but when I do it gets logged.

with regards to the pills you need to look into what it does to your liver and kidneys to take 30-40 a day, because in all fairness they are already less tested then mainstream pharmaceuticals and taking them together may cause other reactions. Also very little research has been done with regards to the long term side effects. Also some may cancel each other out (one might prevent the absorption of another), because they are not meant to be taken together.

I have no doubt that some of the supplements may improve your health but all 40 of them???? really??? By all means continue with the milk thistle if you feel it helps, and some fish oil, and a good multivitamin and if you really want to a probiotic and no, I am not saying that there is really any evidence that you need those, but that is still only 4.
    http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed

I find these sort of posts always funny, because at the same time there are countless posts of 'I am under my calories every day and I don't lose weight .... help'. The more accurate you are, the more control you have :-)
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wow so my boyfriend isnt the only freak about those pills, he has me take almost 20 a day and tells me I need every single one. Ive never thought about counting them, but I count everything else that goes into my body.

I sure hope your boyfriend is paying for them, sweetcheeks! :huh:
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would think the easiest way to transition into keeping track of all your supplements would be to add up all the "extra" calories you consume in a day with those and then just quick add them every day. If your weight loss isn't being hindered currently then maybe it's not a big enough deal; once you get to the last few pounds, every calorie counts.
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I count everything except gum or if I'm just having a small portion of mustard or ketchup on a hamburger that's not enough to account for anything. Other than that, I put everything I put in my mouth on here. I try to be accountable for everything I eat so it's accurate.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I don't count my coffee calories. I will be drinking 1-2 cups of coffee everyday without fail the same way day in day out so I don't count them. I also don't count my supplements. I take a LOT of supplements and I noticed one pill could be 10 calories but I need these. I do stained glass so I handle lead and I need to take supplements to detox that lead out and I also take supplements to keep me healthy and prevent colds and infections I probably take close to 30 or 40 pills every morning.
    Am I the only one who does this? Do all of y'all log everything?

Well, I'm kinda in your camp.

I don't log coffee but then I have black coffee with satanic sweeter (however coffee is worth 10 cals or so? only have 1-2 cups a day). I do log cappucinos etc.

I also don't log fish oil capsules that I take after lifting (10 cals?). Fing is, if I took 30-40 pills a day at 10 cals a pill, that's ~400 calories you're not logging.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I count nothing. I just eat intuitively with lots of foods with nutrients and fiber, avoiding processed foods and making sure to get lots of lean proteins, too. I drink water. What if I told you calories were not real? It's not like blood that's composed of various parts. Food is not made up of calories. Calories are just a method of measurement for a unit of heat content or energy. Coal has calories, too. Eat less, eat better, drink more water and move more.

This was like Matrix-style mind-blowing for me and it has changed my life so positively! My life has revolved around calorie counting since I was 10 years old. I am FREE!!!!!!
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    I count nothing. I just eat intuitively with lots of foods with nutrients and fiber, avoiding processed foods and making sure to get lots of lean proteins, too. I drink water. What if I told you calories were not real? It's not like blood that's composed of various parts. Food is not made up of calories. Calories is just a method of measurement for a unit of heat content or energy. Coal has calories, too. Eat less, eat better, drink more water and move more.

This was like Matrix-style mind-blowing for me and it has changed my life so positively! My life has revolved around calorie counting since I was 10 years old. I am FREE!!!!!!

Best thing I've heard all day!!!!!!!!!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I count nothing. I just eat intuitively with lots of foods with nutrients and fiber, avoiding processed foods and making sure to get lots of lean proteins, too. I drink water. What if I told you calories were not real? It's not like blood that's composed of various parts. Food is not made up of calories. Calories are just a method of measurement for a unit of heat content or energy. Coal has calories, too. Eat less, eat better, drink more water and move more.

which is why you are on a calorie counting website, right?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a calorie counter here but I don't consider this a "calorie counting website." It's much more than that. I'm here to log my exercise and ask questions of like minded people with similar fitness goals. MFP is great for meeting the needs of people with various goals, calorie-counting or not. I get great info from the forums and my pals and have met wonderful people regardless of counting calories.

It's "My Fitness Pal," not "My Calorie-Counting Pal." :tongue:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I don't log zero-calorie items including vitamin/mineral supplements (mine are zero), iced tea (straight up), and Diet Coke (eeek, death chemical of dooooom!!). I do log condiments and cooking sauces (e.g., Worcestershire), but I don't log a shake or pinch of oregano, basil, or garlic salt. And sometimes I put what's probably a couple tablespoons of lemonade into my Diet Coke at the fountain, and I don't bother logging that either.

If I were concerned about sodium, I'd log the soda and some seasonings I now ignore... but I'm not, so I don't bother.

ETA: Actually, come to think of it, I do log the supplements; they just all have zero calories. What I did is create a recipe called "daily supplements" and add every pill to it. That way I see the potassium, calcium, et cetera in my macros. And if I don't see them listed under snacks when I close out my diary, then I know I forgot to take them.
  • Gatominx
    Gatominx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love lamp.