Does "Hot Mom" Need to Apologize?

Options

Replies

• losing4799
    Options
    she has struggled with an eating disorder: a fact which I think ppl should consider into this largely irrelevant topic. misrepresentation may be an issue/why people are upset over the image. for instance, I think it is kind of like saying, 'hey look at my beautiful body and i'm such a hard worker *cough... I starve/starved myself.. and I don't want to talk about it or elaborate... cough* you can do this too, what's your excuse?'.

healthy comes in a range of sizes, perhaps she is broadcasting body shame. I don't know what to make of this but I don't think it's something she should be bullied for... god.. that's terrible :frown:
  • PhatMyke
    Options
    Personally, I find it funny how its ok to THIN SHAME and negatively react to someone who works hard and looks good because it may hurt overweight people's photos. This isn't fat shaming because no where did she say anything negatively towards an overweight individual. Its reverse Bullying that we in America seem to be more and more accepting of. You may never be able to get six pack abs but you can eat less and try being a little more active so it isn't Fat Shaming but Lazy Shaming.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Although she shouldn't have chosen the tag line "whats your excuse?" Thank would have helped stop any complaints

Exactly. The tag line was what made it negatively confrontational toward other people, not the picture.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    58321-Louis-CK-nope-gif-uvTq.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    For all I know, she has apologized, and no one noticed.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Reminds me a lot of this, about complaining on the internet: http://i.imgur.com/PRpQR.jpg
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This thread:

Chandler_and_Rachel.gif
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    Anyone can have a body like hers if they just put in the time and dedication. Put down the twinkies and hop on the treadmill. Push away from the table and push some weight.

I have no problem with her photo, but the above statement is false. First of all, genetics plays a role. No matter how much weight I lose, I will always have a big *kitten*. That's how I'm shaped and it's fine. Second, personal weight history plays a role. She was overweight and battled bulimia. I think I read somewhere that she was 25 lbs overweight at one point. I have been obese for nearly 20 years. That has put tremendous wear and tear on my body that I will never fully recover from. Third, age is a factor. I don't know how old she is but I'm 99% sure she's not my age -- 47. No matter how many hours I spend working out, no matter how much weight I lose. I will never look like her.

I've worked really hard to get where I am today, and I continue to work hard every day, and will keep working hard until the day I die. But I will never look like a 30 year old fitness model. Please don't be so dismissive.

I agree. Not everyone can look like this. Having children changes people's bodies differently, genetics, health, age etc
  • BethAnnC448
    BethAnnC448 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    She is no inspiration to me...some ppl are built better than others to start with......I have lost 47.5 pounds so far, 14.5 since joining this site..I am 57, not 30...have another 50 to lose not 20 pounds total...my inspiration is my husband...
    Does she need to apologize? no...I could care less about that.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't think that its just a matter of laziness for all women not to look like her. Some mother's don't have the financial means to have someone to watch their kids while they work or, nor do they have a supportive spouse who will. Some women have to work several jobs just to feed their kids and can't prioritize time to work out And some women can't afford to buy supplements (if she does in fact take supplements) and struggle to put food on the table, much less healthy food. Also, you don't have to look like a fitness model to be healthy. She has shed her 'vanity' pounds which I completely appreciate and understand her reasoning for, as that is what I am trying to do right now, however, there may be women out there who don't look as good as she does that are equally healthy or more healthy and they shouldn't feel like they need to look like she does and would rather spend time with their family or furthering their education or volunteering instead of trying to achieve washboard abs.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think she looks amazing in fact my goal would be to look like her (well except for my stretch marks lol). Actually contemplating posting that pic as Inspiration to do more core training. If anything, I think having the title of the pic read. Something like "make them your reason, not your excuse" would maybe get her less under fire from those feeling offended.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Apologize for what???????? Being hot!!!!!!! WOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    To me the way it's presented is wrong, it almost looks like it should be captioned
    "I'm smoking hot! why aren't you?"
    I'm fairly sure that wasn't the intended message though. No, she doesn't need to apologise. Everybody involved in this image must have been aware of the potential shock factor and ensuing jealousy/hatred/disapproval. However, if the image inspired even just one person, 'hot mom' would I'm sure say it did its job
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    No of course not. I don't particularly like the message but that's my prerogative, she should be able to post what she likes. Although if you post something in a public forum I think you have to expect some people to question it.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No she doesn't need to apologize, and forget about how good she looks, she has THREE BOYS.

THREE BOYS.

UNDER THE AGE OF 4

:noway:

One boy alone is ok. Two or more boys is a PACK.

I only had two boys 3 years apart and I had days where I thought how on earth am I going to keep these wild people alive for the next 18 years? :laugh:

I think she is super human just for that. My goodness! I applaud her. I bow to her!

Little boys are NO joke! She's doing hard time for the next 10 years minimum. Once the baby gets to 10 she'll be able to relax. By age 10 they calm down considerably.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Heck no! I believe that she was identifying with people like *some* of us who want to make changes for the better in our health. Those people who are happy in their skin should not have even been concerned with the comment and photo. Instead, they cried foul because deep down, I believe they really aren't happy and for whatever reason feel a need to blame someone else for their lack of determination to change. We motivate each other all the time on MFP about not having excuses and to keep going and so forth. In no way do I feel that this is "fat shaming." I'm sorry, but I'm not going to encourage you to be fat! Grow up! :grumble:
  • peachcats
    Options
    At the rate we're going it's gonna be illegal to be non-normal.
    High IQ? Too attractive? Too successful? Not obese?
    Throw them in prison.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I would volunteer to give her another kid. :)
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think it's fat shaming, personally. I agree with the person above who said that it's not necessarily an excuse, but a different priority for a lot of people... And IMO it's not her place to label people's priorities as 'excuses'. And looking like she does really is not necessary to be healthy (and probably impossible for a lot of women).. so I think it's a bit uncalled for.

For what it's worth, I found her apology even worse, lol.
    This
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Did it ever occur to anyone that she was just posting a pic with a caption in order to inspire people that wanted to be, but not placing judgement on every human being in the whole wide world. I think people are reading way too much into it and taking it way too personally (she wasn't insulting any of you, she doesn't even know you). She was just talking about fitness for people that were interested. She wasn't saying her "priorities" are better than others...whatever that even means. I'm not saying I would post a photo with that caption (it's not my style) and I do understand why it rubs people the wrong way. I don't understand the degree to which this is causing everyone to think they need to defend their lives, choices, and successes in a competition with her and all other women. If you have different priorities then it's a passing thought as looking at the photo and you move on because since you have different priorities that would mean that you don't care enough to give it another thought, to give it any power in your life, or space in your mind (I would think).