Rude and Unsupportive Posts.

Options

Replies

• Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Dramatic, much? Relax. I think it's a little patronising all this: 'We're saving you from yourselves', 'We're stopping you jumping off a cliff'. It belies a superior and arrogant attitude, imo, like people aren't capable of making their own decisions. Respect other people's choices, man.

If you feel the need to argue issues, join a debating society, study law, become politically active... or act as an advocate for someone who REALLY needs it?

Peace out. :glasses:

You don't think a person about to embark on a potentially dangerous means of weight loss needs some advocacy?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Dramatic, much? Relax. I think it's a little patronising all this: 'We're saving you from yourselves', 'We're stopping you jumping off a cliff'. It belies a superior and arrogant attitude, imo, like people aren't capable of making their own decisions. Respect other people's choices, man.

If you feel the need to argue issues, join a debating society, study law, become politically active... or act as an advocate for someone who REALLY needs it?

You don't think a person about to embark on a potentially dangerous means of weight loss needs some advocacy?

Kadoober, meet Hildy_J. White Knight Extraordinaire of MFP.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I am truly disappointed that so many MFP members are not being supportive of me (and others) in our efforts to prevent people from doing something stupid to themselves, like a starting a cleanse or detox.

i mean this in the nicest possible way, but...

Point_missed.gif

sometimes, you have to read the whole thread before responding in order to understand if the thread is really about what you think it's about.

this thread is not about whether i've been arguing with people (i haven't) and whether they've been ignoring my advice (they haven't) or even whether i care anymore if people starve themselves on cleanses and detoxes (i don't). that was all used to illustrate a larger point in my OP. this thread is about that larger point, which is the notion that bad ideas which are not met with universal applause is NOT equivalent to people being unsupportive. that conclusion (that it is) is flawed reasoning and it happens in here a lot.

if the person defending a bad idea has the right to demand unconditional "support" from members on here who are not paid to give support, then the people attacking the bad idea have every bit as much right to demand that same "support" as well.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    By the title, I thought you were talking about how someone is nice enough to post a recipe, then 10 people pick it apart and jump down their throat because it's not to their liking. Lots of trolls on this site...it's like being back in grade school.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    mom-orange-juice.gif

LMAO!!!!! hahahahahahahaha
  • jonnythan
    Options
    By the title, I thought you were talking about how someone is nice enough to post a recipe, then 10 people pick it apart and jump down their throat because it's not to their liking. Lots of trolls on this site...it's like being back in grade school.

In their defense, a lot of the "recipes" posted to MFP are abominations that I would think are jokes if I didn't know better.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And there's that word again ....

Soeey, but if you post a recipe for pasta sauce poured over lettuce and call it lasagna, people are going to laugh at you.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Again with the drama.... so much DRAMA on this forum... *scary background music* 'BEWARE The Dangers Of Juicing!'.

What's the worst that could happen - the lid falls off the juicer and the kitchen is pebbledashed with blueberries? :laugh:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    instead of being thanked for our efforts, we are often met with scorn and ridicule by the legions of fans of cleanses and detoxes.

You are talking science to people who want religion.

It's a pointless discussion to get into - have to recognize that those folks aren't looking for "advice", they're looking for validation - best course of action is to stay out of the conversation, as the conversation is about *them* , not about *you*.

Wise words.

There is a way to offer a different viewpoint without coming across as rude. It just takes a little more effort.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What's the worst that could happen - the lid falls off the juicer and the kitchen is pebbledashed with blueberries? :laugh:

Sounds like you've never had an anorexic friend, or a friend end up passed out in the hospital because of lack of sufficient calorie intake. Or had a friend miscarry because she's starving herself while pregnant trying to avoid gaining weight.

"The worst that can happen" is pretty bad.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

In their defense, a lot of the "recipes" posted to MFP are abominations that I would think are jokes if I didn't know better.

Mostly the ones abusing cauliflower.
  • trackme
    Options

Soeey, but if you post a recipe for pasta sauce poured over lettuce and call it lasagna, people are going to laugh at you.

This is a site where people are trying to lose weight. Why should you "laugh" at someone or "bully" someone because you don't like the recipe? That's being childish....move on. When I see a new recipe, I like to see if people have made it as well and hear their honest opinion, not some bs and grade school humor. This site is to help people lose weight, I don't want a recipe for a nutella pie or full fat lasagna.
  • rml_16
    Options

This is a site where people are trying to lose weight. Why should you "laugh" at someone or "bully" someone because you don't like the recipe? That's being childish....move on. When I see a new recipe, I like to see if people have made it as well and hear their honest opinion, not some bs and grade school humor. This site is to help people lose weight, I don't want a recipe for a nutella pie or full fat lasagna.
    It's a site full of human beings, some of whom possess a sense of humor.
  • rml_16
    Options

Sounds like you've never had an anorexic friend, or a friend end up passed out in the hospital because of lack of sufficient calorie intake. Or had a friend miscarry because she's starving herself while pregnant trying to avoid gaining weight.

"The worst that can happen" is pretty bad.
    Don't forget the chick who wanted to do the salt water cleanse.

You could actually die from that pretty quickly.

And the juicing thing? It isn't so much that it's always dangerous as it is pointless. And when you juice, you don't get the fiber, so you're essentially eliminating a crucial part of the fruit/vegetable for non-existent results.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Oooops
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mty33zrgK91shagmfo2_250.gif
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Again with the drama.... so much DRAMA on this forum... *scary background music* 'BEWARE The Dangers Of Juicing!'.

Oh, I see. So the actual dangers are a joke to you.
    Got it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    That's life. Not everyone is always going to be on the same page as you....and they shouldn't have to be. We are all entitled to have our own beliefs. And if you try to shove your own beliefs down someone else's throat you may not like the response you get.
    Yes. How dare you refute someone's belief with actual science and try to shove that science down that person's throat.

Actually I have a very scientific mind and I don't agree with cleanses and detox's. I believe the body does it just fine on it's own. But I also believe that it's a person's own right to choose their own path. I was merely stating that in life there are people that will argue with you that black is white and vise versa and you'll never change their mind. Sometimes you just have to step away.
  • rml_16
    Options
    That's life. Not everyone is always going to be on the same page as you....and they shouldn't have to be. We are all entitled to have our own beliefs. And if you try to shove your own beliefs down someone else's throat you may not like the response you get.
    Yes. How dare you refute someone's belief with actual science and try to shove that science down that person's throat.

Actually I have a very scientific mind and I don't agree with cleanses and detox's. I believe the body does it just fine on it's own. But I also believe that it's a person's own right to choose their own path. I was merely stating that in life there are people that will argue with you that black is white and vise versa and you'll never change their mind. Sometimes you just have to step away.
    That isn't what you said.
  • trackme
    Options

It's a site full of human beings, some of whom possess a sense of humor.

People who bully always think they are funny, being humorous is something altogether different.
This discussion has been closed.