Rude and Unsupportive Posts.

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    By the title, I thought you were talking about how someone is nice enough to post a recipe, then 10 people pick it apart and jump down their throat because it's not to their liking. Lots of trolls on this site...it's like being back in grade school.
    And there's that word again ....

Soeey, but if you post a recipe for pasta sauce poured over lettuce and call it lasagna, people are going to laugh at you.

This is a site where people are trying to lose weight. Why should you "laugh" at someone or "bully" someone because you don't like the recipe? That's being childish....move on. When I see a new recipe, I like to see if people have made it as well and hear their honest opinion, not some bs and grade school humor. This site is to help people lose weight, I don't want a recipe for a nutella pie or full fat lasagna.
    It's a site full of human beings, some of whom possess a sense of humor.

People who bully always think they are funny, being humorous is something altogether different.
    You clearly don't know what bullying is.

If you "laugh" at someone and basically call them a dork (in so many words) how is that humorous?
    Laughing at a person and laughing at ideas are not the same thing. The problem is you fail to see the difference.

If I say something stupid in front of a friend or family member, I'm going to get called out. It happens. I have this odd ability to laugh along with that person when I realize how stupid what I said was. This place is no different. Just because people have sticks up their rear ends doesn't make something less funny.

I hear what your saying, but the women who posted a recipe for "cauliflower breadsticks" did not have a stick up her rear and no one needed to call her out. She was simply posting a recipe, (as an example) which was creative and could be diet friendly. But instead all she got was flack by a bunch of whiny crybabies. If they wanted to be funny, make it humorous, not derogatory. I like a good laugh too.

I didn't see that particular post, so I can't comment on what happened in it. It's possible it was as you say, but I do tend to see people say something was said that was never said and then call people mean and bullies over it. It happens a LOT around here.

What I will point out is the cauliflower thing is a bit of a running joke because what started as replacing mashed potatoes has turned into replacing EVERYTHING with cauliflower.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you suggest replacing some food with a cauliflower substitute, some people will laugh at you.

You can either whine and cry at that point, or you can be a big boy/girl and ignore those people.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    How is starving the body anything BUT dangerous? C'mon!

Quel horreur!

It's like something from a bad movie script. Or something from a good movie script - but with the line delivered by Keanu Reeves.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If you suggest replacing some food with a cauliflower substitute, some people will laugh at you.

You can either whine and cry at that point, or you can be a big boy/girl and ignore those people.

Or a brownie recipe with applesauce as one of the ingredients. Ick...I'll take my 225 calorie Betty Crocker one and just budget my calories for the day. Geez! :laugh:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    By the title, I thought you were talking about how someone is nice enough to post a recipe, then 10 people pick it apart and jump down their throat because it's not to their liking. Lots of trolls on this site...it's like being back in grade school.

Soeey, but if you post a recipe for pasta sauce poured over lettuce and call it lasagna, people are going to laugh at you.

This is a site where people are trying to lose weight. Why should you "laugh" at someone or "bully" someone because you don't like the recipe? That's being childish....move on. When I see a new recipe, I like to see if people have made it as well and hear their honest opinion, not some bs and grade school humor. This site is to help people lose weight, I don't want a recipe for a nutella pie or full fat lasagna.

People who bully always think they are funny, being humorous is something altogether different.

If you "laugh" at someone and basically call them a dork (in so many words) how is that humorous?
    Laughing at a person and laughing at ideas are not the same thing. The problem is you fail to see the difference.

If I say something stupid in front of a friend or family member, I'm going to get called out. It happens. I have this odd ability to laugh along with that person when I realize how stupid what I said was. This place is no different. Just because people have sticks up their rear ends doesn't make something less funny.

I hear what your saying, but the women who posted a recipe for "cauliflower breadsticks" did not have a stick up her rear and no one needed to call her out. She was simply posting a recipe, (as an example) which was creative and could be diet friendly. But instead all she got was flack by a bunch of whiny crybabies. If they wanted to be funny, make it humorous, not derogatory. I like a good laugh too.

I didn't see that particular post, so I can't comment on what happened in it. It's possible it was as you say, but I do tend to see people say something was said that was never said and then call people mean and bullies over it. It happens a LOT around here.

What I will point out is the cauliflower thing is a bit of a running joke because what started as replacing mashed potatoes has turned into replacing EVERYTHING with cauliflower.

I just read that thread, and no one was bullying or being derogatory. Just the usual messing around when cauliflower recipes pop up on this site. We should all calm down and watch a Rick Astley video together (sorry couldn't help myself). :)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How is starving the body anything BUT dangerous? C'mon!

Quel horreur!

It's like something from a bad movie script. Or something from a good movie script - but with the line delivered by Keanu Reeves.

EmmaONeil_2345242b.jpg

Pretty funny, right Hildy? You know this is how many eating disorders start, right? Crazy diet plans like juicing?
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that they are attacking you. I tend to put aside those posts that don't support me in what I'm trying to do. Sure, there will always be someone who doesn't agree with my diet or my choices, but they are mine. The only advice I can give is to pick and choose your "friends" carefully, and if you don't want to hear the negative, be sure to post that as well.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Millions of people believe in homeopathy. Says it all really. Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump for gifs and general silliness
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say things like "i'm doing a juice cleanse to rid me of the toxins!" Then 5 minutes later say "also I'm eliminating sugar from my diet" That's probably my favorite. :huh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that they are attacking you. I tend to put aside those posts that don't support me in what I'm trying to do. Sure, there will always be someone who doesn't agree with my diet or my choices, but they are mine. The only advice I can give is to pick and choose your "friends" carefully, and if you don't want to hear the negative, be sure to post that as well.
    The OP? No one's attacking him.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

What I often see is someone posts anything about cauliflower or changing a recipe, with ANYTHING, not just cauliflower, and then reply after reply after reply after reply mocks them. And then those same folks defend themselves in other threads and say they are "educating".

And, usually the cauliflower seeker isn't in on that "joke" and just feels like a whole board is mocking them.
  • Kristine_7707
    Options
    everyone has their own way of weight loss, and you may not agree, and no they may not be presenting true facts but they aren't going to quit posting about what they feel is right, neither are you so, why not be an adult agree to disagree or just not read their posts!! Problem solved

this^^
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Troll post.

it most certainly is not and your response is both inappropriate and inaccurate.
    This is inappropriate....
    vma-miley-cyrus-5.png
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Troll post.

it most certainly is not and your response is both inappropriate and inaccurate.
    This is inappropriate....
    vma-miley-cyrus-5.png

That is NOT a flattering picture. Just think of how proud her kids will be in 20 years!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Steve Jobs died for the same reason. he had a good prognosis because his cancer was caught very early, but he decided to try alternative cures for a few years before he came to his senses. by that time, it was too late.

I thought he tried both?

Either way, pancreatic cancer has something like a 2% survival rate after five years. I knew someone who had it, caught VERY early and was declared cured. It came back after a year and killed him within weeks. And he was very aggressive with his treatment.

Jobs probably would have died no matter what.

But breast cancer I think now has a 95% survival rate.

the article i linked said he had one of the rare forms that was likely to be curable, especially since they discovered it so early.
    Here's a bit more detailed info about it. The five-year survival rate is still quite low: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/isletcell/healthprofessional

55% is quite a high survival rate, actually. And it can even be as high as 61% according to this cancer.org article. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreaticcancer/detailedguide/pancreatic-cancer-survival-rates
    From what I've read the cancer returned after the liver transplant and that the survival rate then is quite low.... he did many "traditional treatments" and many alternative treatments.
    He died. I'd say let's stop second guessing him now.

?? I think you have me confused with someone else.
    just making a general comment. sorry for the confusion. had just read the "he was a smart man who made many stupid decisions" and it stuck in my head as I read the rest of the comments.

Good luck to your friend!

Thanks for the well wishes Sabine. I said what I did, because according to the Forbes article, he did no treatment for 9 months! 'Alternative' methods and changing his diet could not have possibly been effective, and he himself came to realize it eventually. My saying that doesn't mean I am 'second guessing' his treatment. I am pointing out that he effectually did NOTHING about his cancer for 9 months. That's not smart.
    I haven't read his bio, so I wont speak more on that. I do know the official story changed from time to time.
    Have you seen his commencement address? It's quite nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UF8uR6Z6KLc
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Or they could put on their big boy/girl pants and ignore the post that clearly they are not interested in. It's tiring to rifle through so much negativity. Maybe they could take the time to post something better.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So much arguing over... people arguing.

Ah... only MFP!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am truly disappointed that so many MFP members are not being supportive of me (and others) in our efforts to prevent people from doing something stupid to themselves, like a starting a cleanse or detox.

Dramatic, much? Relax. I think it's a little patronising all this: 'We're saving you from yourselves', 'We're stopping you jumping off a cliff'. It belies a superior and arrogant attitude, imo, like people aren't capable of making their own decisions. Respect other people's choices, man.

If you feel the need to argue issues, join a debating society, study law, become politically active... or act as an advocate for someone who REALLY needs it?

Peace out. :glasses:

i mean this in the nicest possible way, but...

Point_missed.gif

sometimes, you have to read the whole thread before responding in order to understand if the thread is really about what you think it's about.

this thread is not about whether i've been arguing with people (i haven't) and whether they've been ignoring my advice (they haven't) or even whether i care anymore if people starve themselves on cleanses and detoxes (i don't). that was all used to illustrate a larger point in my OP. this thread is about that larger point, which is the notion that bad ideas which are not met with universal applause is NOT equivalent to people being unsupportive. that conclusion (that it is) is flawed reasoning and it happens in here a lot.

if the person defending a bad idea has the right to demand unconditional "support" from members on here who are not paid to give support, then the people attacking the bad idea have every bit as much right to demand that same "support" as well.
    You have an interesting perspective on yourself.

Here's an oldie but a goodie

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1114757-do-sugarphobes-also-avoid-drinking-any-alcohol

To me you often come across as helpful (if someone wants to know what you believe to do what you believe). And you often come off as an arrogant know it all (who really, really really doesn't).

And other times your username is eponymous.

cheers
  • jonnythan
    Options

Or they could put on their big boy/girl pants and ignore the post that clearly they are not interested in. It's tiring to rifle through so much negativity. Maybe they could take the time to post something better.

Well my way involves the person getting upset deciding not to be upset anymore.

Your way involves the person being upset sitting around wishing everyone else would change.

Guess which way is more likely to be effective.
This discussion has been closed.