To the mean people of MFP... You can say "I told you so"

Options

Replies

• OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    :) I am using in place of a road map as well. except I am at 1531 as I am going for 2lbs a week as I am quite big :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why would it stop if I am in a deficit?

This is what I have been thinking the whole time. The deficit is simple math that will determine, roughly, how many pounds are destined to come off, at least pounds that contain energy.

I understand it's a good idea to eat (nearly) enough to fuel your body, as in use a TDEE-20% kind of approach for losing weight. The difference comes from energy stored in your body (hopefully fat).

I think maybe what is at work in situations like these where people report suddenly losing weight after a plateau is the "whoosh." I think Lyle McD talks about this effect in one of his articles. Sometimes a "refeed" is enough to break through a plateau. I don't know if there is a whole lot studied on refeeds, but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence. For what it's worth...

Lyle article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you up your calories?

2-3ish weeks ago. I couldn't believe that I lost 2lbs after stepping on the scale after the first week! I have been consistently losing 1lb a week since.

Your diary shows you upped your calories 10 days ago. It also shows very very spotty logging since you started tracking on here. Your average looks to have been at least 1,500 with many days quite a lot over the 1,500 you say you ate up to before you upped your calories. I am not saying this to try to be rude...but as has been pointed out, the math was not making sense. Nine times out of ten, people's diaries are not as accurate as they think they are.

Dieting is stressful on the body - the greater the deficit, the more stress. This leads to water retention. You eat more, you release water initially.

I am not trying to be mean here, but I am not sure how you can conclude that upping your calories have made you lose more weight (as in more fat) based on the above.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have been at my weight loss journey for 3 months tomorrow and I have lost 18 lbs. I started out eating between 1200-1500 calories a day and exercising regularly... but just recently I quit losing weight and to top it off I was hungry all the time! I asked myself how am I going to eat less than 1200 calories if I am as hungry as I am now! The answer: Don't! ....EAT MORE!

I got on here looking for answers and I didn't like that people were telling me that I wasn't eating enough... I was actually extremely defensive about it. How dare they tell me I am not eating enough when I have lost all the weight I have so far! Then someone directed me to this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

I am now eating 2300 calories a day and exercising regularly and back to losing 1lb a week! The best part is... I am full! Yay! No more hunger! Thanks for the read! I hope this helps at least one person out there!
    Bravo!! Here's to your continued success! :drinker:

Best move I ever made was reading (and re-reading and RE-READING! :tongue: ) and applying the info in the Road Map thread. That was nearly two years ago, and I've head steady success with sustainable lifestyle change and fat loss ever since.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Threads like this are why people keep misunderstanding EMTWL. Basic rational thought still needs to apply, you know? You don't lose more at a 500 calorie cut than a 1000 calorie one, that's just crazy talk. The concept isn't about losing more faster, its about comfort, adherence, and crap like that.

People don't (or shouldn't) say 'eat moar' every time someone is stalled, but in cases where diet adherence suffers.

Or that's my view anyway, take that as you will. I just hang out here.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To those that were wondering how fast can the metabolism respond, going up and going down and how long down, ect, here is some nicely laid out research, plus some other points throughout the topic thread.

And when I say metabolism, I'm not meaning just BMR which can only be suppressed so much, your body has functions that must be done, it'll get the energy from somewhere to accomplish them even if done a tad slower. And despite the idea that many have that it'll all come from excess fat you have, the studies show that is not the case.
    If your body could do that, there would be no need for it suppress other activities and RMR and NEAT, ect, to conserve.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    GJ OP! Try to ignore everyone trying to do math without knowing the real numbers. In fact most of the time we dont realize the numbers we all use are all approximations anyways. The fact is its working for her, finding out what she exactly did for intake and exercise is a good idea for her in the future, but now she's on the right track.
    Well I am trying to "up" my calories to be around 1450 (have some trouble the past few weeks being consistent) .

I guess I'm reluctant to fully commit because I usually only see people who claim success with this method after 3 or 4 weeks but I never see posts from people who have had long term success with this ( 30 or more lbs or more than a yr).

What do you mean you dont think you've seen anyone who's eaten back their exercise calories and claimed success for the long term? There are tons on here, and you just saw another one then (me). 23,000+ cals eaten last week, about 3,300 cal/day and I lost 2.6lbs last week and total over 30lbs lost. Last week was higher loss than average, probably because I increased lifting. I did increase my food intake by a lot, ate a whole extra large Round table pizza as well, so I thought it would have been less. Sorry if I broke the laws of physics, but I promise to fix them again, after I'm where I want to be ;)
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    This actually doesn't add up... perhaps you weren't logging accurately before or you're exercising more now?

The 'eat more' message is more for those people who are attempting around 1200 calories a day and keep falling off the wagon and binging, because it's too great a deficit for them.

But I'm happy for you! If it works - keep it up. :smile:

No it isn't. The 'eat more' message is simply: 'eat what your body needs'. It's telling people that they can eat a lot of food and still lose weight, as long as they burn more than they eat. It's telling people that losing weight shouldn't be a crash diet, it should be a lifestyle change.

Well done OP :)

This^^^^
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    If you aren't giving your body what it needs to function then it will hold onto what it has halting weight loss. If you give it what it needs and continue working out you'll still actually be at a deficit and be able to lose weight. Oh my. I know it doesn't seem logical when all you hear is to lose weight you have to eat less and move move, but really, you still need to eat more and give your body the proper fuel to function.

If someone was eating 1200 calories a day and burning say 300, that would leave them at 700 net. 1200 - 500 = 700. 700 is not enough fuel for the body to continue to function properly.

But if someone is eating 1900 calories a day and burning 500 they are eating what they need for their body to function and are at a deficit. 1900 - 500 = 1400. Less than what they ate = deficit.

She is obviously at a deficit or how would she be losing weight...so yeah it does add up.

^^This too!!
    Some people are just to stuck in their ways to see anything in any other way, it's basic math and physiology plain and simple. But some will never believe it, but that's ok, I am so happy that you are doing whats right for your body and not starving it and ruining your metabolism lady, very proud of you!! :wink:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If someone was eating 1200 calories a day and burning say 300, that would leave them at 700 net.
    Today I learned that 12 - 3 = 7.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If someone was eating 1200 calories a day and burning say 300, that would leave them at 700 net.
    Today I learned that 12 - 3 = 7.

you-know-math-is-hard-when-meme.jpg
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you aren't giving your body what it needs to function then it will hold onto what it has halting weight loss. If you give it what it needs and continue working out you'll still actually be at a deficit and be able to lose weight. Oh my. I know it doesn't seem logical when all you hear is to lose weight you have to eat less and move move, but really, you still need to eat more and give your body the proper fuel to function.

If someone was eating 1200 calories a day and burning say 300, that would leave them at 700 net. 1200 - 500 = 700. 700 is not enough fuel for the body to continue to function properly.

But if someone is eating 1900 calories a day and burning 500 they are eating what they need for their body to function and are at a deficit. 1900 - 500 = 1400. Less than what they ate = deficit.

She is obviously at a deficit or how would she be losing weight...so yeah it does add up.

I don't think you understand the whole idea of weight loss. Whether your net calories after exercise is 700 or 1400, your body will make up the difference to get to its calorie requirements by burning your stored fat (or muscle). If you are not providing the fuel, it makes the fuel by literally eating yourself. As long as you have fuel to burn (fat), you will not be experiencing the true starvation response and your body will get the exact amount of calories it needs every day. So 700 calories is not enough to fuel your body, but 700 plus your burned fat/muscle that your body uses to make up the difference is enough to meet your requirements.

The real dangers of eating so little are:
    - The possible onset of an eating disorder
    - Most likely lacking proper nutrition the body needs for hair, skin, teeth, organ function, etc.. that can lead to major problems
    - Higher likelihood of binging and falling off the wagon in general
    - Your body will consume more lean muscle than you'd probably like

There is no magic that happens when you increase your calories that suddenly makes you lose weight within a week. THAT'S simple math: greater deficit = greater weight loss. As others have said, either the logging was incorrect before, the exercise increased, water weight was released, or your body finally let go of the weight (fat loss is never perfectly linear). Also, 1200 calories is such an arbitrary number to use for supposed "starvation mode" and makes no sense.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This thread makes math cry.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to ruin threads like this?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

There are a thousand different motivations for internet forum use. But basically this thread is somewhat misleading. Of course, if you had posted about eating a "donut diet" and losing weight, while posting a hundred pictures of donuts you didn't actually eat, you'd have a lot of the same people cheering you on instead of applying the same level of critical thought.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Who ruined it?
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well I am trying to "up" my calories to be around 1450 (have some trouble the past few weeks being consistent) .

I guess I'm reluctant to fully commit because I usually only see people who claim success with this method after 3 or 4 weeks but I never see posts from people who have had long term success with this ( 30 or more lbs or more than a yr).

I've lost nearly 62 lb's. I tried cutting calories to 1400 but within 2 weeks I gave up and went with eat more to weigh less. I've been doing it since February and it's still working hope that helps convince you.
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For those who have upped their calories and are back to losing regularly, Congratulations!!!!! What are you doing for exercise, and how often are you exercising? Kat
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    [snip]

I am now eating 2300 calories a day and exercising regularly and back to losing 1lb a week!

[snip]

You're losing a pound a week eating 2300 calories a day?

You must exercise like a beast!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    For those who have upped their calories and are back to losing regularly, Congratulations!!!!! What are you doing for exercise, and how often are you exercising? Kat

I've just completed C25K. I also walk, go on stationary bike and do some kettle bell routines. I do my running 2-3 times a week. I don't do crazy amounts of exercise.