To the mean people of MFP... You can say "I told you so"

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to ruin threads like this?

Like what? Like one's where the facts are mis-stated?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Threads like this are why people keep misunderstanding EMTWL. Basic rational thought still needs to apply, you know? You don't lose more at a 500 calorie cut than a 1000 calorie one, that's just crazy talk. The concept isn't about losing more faster, its about comfort, adherence, and crap like that.

People don't (or shouldn't) say 'eat moar' every time someone is stalled, but in cases where diet adherence suffers.

Or that's my view anyway, take that as you will. I just hang out here.

YES!!!!

I am on a heavy cut, it is working. However, after a month my running and lifting performance is suffering (ie: more injury issues) and my adherence is getting spottier because 1300 calories sucks. I will be raising my cals, but losing slower (hopefully more consistently, too). It's just math.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

There are a thousand different motivations for internet forum use. But basically this thread is somewhat misleading. Of course, if you had posted about eating a "donut diet" and losing weight, while posting a hundred pictures of donuts you didn't actually eat, you'd have a lot of the same people cheering you on instead of applying the same level of critical thought.
    Says someone who has a cartoon for a profile pic.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

There are a thousand different motivations for internet forum use. But basically this thread is somewhat misleading. Of course, if you had posted about eating a "donut diet" and losing weight, while posting a hundred pictures of donuts you didn't actually eat, you'd have a lot of the same people cheering you on instead of applying the same level of critical thought.

Curious what a profile picture has to do with the bolded part of that quote- and the person you quoted doesn't even have a profile picture. :huh:
  • Kristine_7707
    Options

dont set yourself up for failure expecting to lose a pound a week for 45 weeks though. doesnt work like that.

motivating words right there, not
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Curious what a profile picture has to do with the bolded part of that quote- and the person you quoted doesn't even have a profile picture. :huh:

He has been here long enough to remember when the grey people used to be blue people.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    congratulations OP, glad you were able to synthesize the information and advice you got. good luck on eating all teh foodz!
  • nikigmoney
    Options
    It is basic math. You want a 3,500 cal def each week. There are 3,500 cals in a lb of fat. You will lose a lb a week. That includes excercise cals. If you want to build muscle then you should zig-zag calories eating more on hard workout days and less on easy days. So if you burn 1900 cals a day with exercise then you subtract 500 from that it gives you 1400. That is your base. You should go back and forth from 1300 to 2000 over six meals. It works and you will never feel hungry.
  • pairangers
    pairangers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I started out at 1200 calories a day, and hit my peak at 12 pounds. I upped my intake to about 1600 calories (Just started using MFP, helped me set my new goal)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It is basic math. You want a 3,500 cal def each week. There are 3,500 cals in a lb of fat. You will lose a lb a week. That includes excercise cals. If you want to build muscle then you should zig-zag calories eating more on hard workout days and less on easy days. So if you burn 1900 cals a day with exercise then you subtract 500 from that it gives you 1400. That is your base. You should go back and forth from 1300 to 2000 over six meals. It works and you will never feel hungry.

What is the point of zig-zagging? Our bodies don't only depend on recently-eaten food for energy, do they? And what is magical about midnight? Isn't what we eat the day before or after a workout as important as what we eat the day of a workout?

And why six meals?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

What is the point of zig-zagging? Our bodies don't only depend on recently-eaten food for energy, do they? And what is magical about midnight? Isn't what we eat the day before or after a workout as important as what we eat the day of a workout?

And why six meals?
    Because if you don't eat every four or five minutes your metabolism shuts down?
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    [snip]

I am now eating 2300 calories a day and exercising regularly and back to losing 1lb a week!

[snip]

You're losing a pound a week eating 2300 calories a day?

You must exercise like a beast!

Not really... I run for 30 mins every second day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

And why six meals?
    Because if you don't eat every four or five minutes your metabolism shuts down?

No, of course not, don't be silly.

I think you just start gaining fat no matter deficit or not if you don't eat every 4 to 5 minutes.