CrossFit Put To The Test, Comes Out On Top: Study

Options
See links.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/23/crossfit-endurance-effect_n_4145011.html?ir=Healthy+Living

https://www.acefitness.org/prosourcearticle/3542/crossfit-sup-tm-sup-new-research-puts-popular\

https://www.acefitness.org/certifiednews/images/article/pdfs/ACE_CrossfitStudy.pdf

Summary.
A team of researchers from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse's exercise physiology program monitored 16 healthy and fit volunteers as they burpee'd and thrusted their way through two separate CrossFit workouts, Donkey Kong and Fran. The men burned nearly 21 calories a minute while women burned just over 12. Each routine took varying amounts of time to complete, however, all the participants maintained an elevated heart rate throughout the entire workout and reached about 80 percent of their VO2max, satisfying fitness industry guidelines for improving cardiovascular endurance, according to ACE.

THE BOTTOM LINE

CrossFit works. For those who already do CrossFit regularly, this is surely no news flash. Based on the high intensity of the workouts tested, researchers conclude that CrossFit does a really good job of helping exercisers improve their aerobic fitness, while burning a fair number of calories in the process. And, like other high-intensity interval-training (HIIT) workouts, one can expect greater increases in aerobic capacity than what is seen with traditional aerobic training, which is typically performed well below an individual’s anaerobic threshold.

Working out more intensely for shorter periods means that exercisers can likely get good results with CrossFit while spending less time exercising, says Babiash. “The two workouts were completed in fewer than 12 minutes, not including the warm-up and cool-down. Yet, despite this short duration, subjects still burned an average of 115.8 calories,” she says. “Seeing the benefits in such a short amount of time is encouraging, especially if you have a busy lifestyle.”

Porcari agrees, but also notes that a pretty big asterisk should accompany all of his team’s findings. “You look at the intensity of CrossFit and it’s off the charts,” he says. “This is not the workout for a 45-year-old person with multiple cardiovascular risk factors. People absolutely need to be properly screened before beginning CrossFit.”

Beyond being potentially risky for many would-be exercisers, Porcari warns that the competitive nature and emphasis on completing CrossFit exercises as quickly as possible may well be a recipe for injury for some exercisers.

“The thing we’ve seen with a lot of these workouts is you go flat-out as fast as you can, but then your form falls apart. You really need to be technically correct with a lot of these exercises or else you’re going to get hurt,” says Porcari. “And it’s nice to be competitive with other CrossFitters, but at what point are you pushing yourself outside the realm of safety?”

Naturally, ACE recognizes that any exercise is better than none and that if CrossFit gets people up and working out regularly, then that’s success. That said, would-be CrossFitters and those who train them should pay close attention to the potential pitfalls outlined by Porcari to ensure that this current fitness craze doesn’t create more injured bodies than fit ones.

Replies

• jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Wait wait wait...you mean to tell me that high intensity interval training burns calories? Mind = blow (much like the wallets and backs of many crossfitters)

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    CROSSFIT YEAHH!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    See links.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/23/crossfit-endurance-effect_n_4145011.html?ir=Healthy+Living

https://www.acefitness.org/prosourcearticle/3542/crossfit-sup-tm-sup-new-research-puts-popular\

https://www.acefitness.org/certifiednews/images/article/pdfs/ACE_CrossfitStudy.pdf

Summary.
    A team of researchers from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse's exercise physiology program monitored 16 healthy and fit volunteers as they burpee'd and thrusted their way through two separate CrossFit workouts, Donkey Kong and Fran. The men burned nearly 21 calories a minute while women burned just over 12. Each routine took varying amounts of time to complete, however, all the participants maintained an elevated heart rate throughout the entire workout and reached about 80 percent of their VO2max, satisfying fitness industry guidelines for improving cardiovascular endurance, according to ACE.

THE BOTTOM LINE

CrossFit works. For those who already do CrossFit regularly, this is surely no news flash. Based on the high intensity of the workouts tested, researchers conclude that CrossFit does a really good job of helping exercisers improve their aerobic fitness, while burning a fair number of calories in the process. And, like other high-intensity interval-training (HIIT) workouts, one can expect greater increases in aerobic capacity than what is seen with traditional aerobic training, which is typically performed well below an individual’s anaerobic threshold.

Working out more intensely for shorter periods means that exercisers can likely get good results with CrossFit while spending less time exercising, says Babiash. “The two workouts were completed in fewer than 12 minutes, not including the warm-up and cool-down. Yet, despite this short duration, subjects still burned an average of 115.8 calories,” she says. “Seeing the benefits in such a short amount of time is encouraging, especially if you have a busy lifestyle.”

Porcari agrees, but also notes that a pretty big asterisk should accompany all of his team’s findings. “You look at the intensity of CrossFit and it’s off the charts,” he says. “This is not the workout for a 45-year-old person with multiple cardiovascular risk factors. People absolutely need to be properly screened before beginning CrossFit.”

Beyond being potentially risky for many would-be exercisers, Porcari warns that the competitive nature and emphasis on completing CrossFit exercises as quickly as possible may well be a recipe for injury for some exercisers.

“The thing we’ve seen with a lot of these workouts is you go flat-out as fast as you can, but then your form falls apart. You really need to be technically correct with a lot of these exercises or else you’re going to get hurt,” says Porcari. “And it’s nice to be competitive with other CrossFitters, but at what point are you pushing yourself outside the realm of safety?”

Naturally, ACE recognizes that any exercise is better than none and that if CrossFit gets people up and working out regularly, then that’s success. That said, would-be CrossFitters and those who train them should pay close attention to the potential pitfalls outlined by Porcari to ensure that this current fitness craze doesn’t create more injured bodies than fit ones.

How come you said cross fit came out on top when the study didn't have the subjects do anything but crossfit workouts?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Wait wait wait...you mean to tell me that high intensity interval training burns calories? Mind = blow (much like the wallets and backs of many crossfitters)

*snort*
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    When everything else comes out on top too, it's not as impressive.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm also on top right now.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    can you shift a little left please?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    can you shift a little left please?

My knee hurts from the HIIT last night, but I'll try...
  • VaTechM3
    Options
    I just tried my first CrossFit workout yesterday and really enjoyed it. I've been working through SL 5x5 for the past few months and have always been in and out of the gym anyway over the past couple of years.

I don't think its a big secret of what crossfit is trying to accomplish with the HIIT, but I don't really see the big hit to your wallet or back if you are smart about it, which the article calls out (which applies to any type of working out, and not just crossfit...)

I'm considering getting a membership to one of the clubs in town as I really enjoyed the competitive nature of the work outs to keep pushing you, and the personal training aspect (although not exactly one on one) to make sure you aren't putting yourself into a position to hurt yourself.

To me, certainly more exciting than just lifting.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
    :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Yes
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is awesome. IMHO, it's far better than the hand full of regular gyms I've ever been to and the level of instruction blows away any regular gym's personal trainers that I've seen.

Again, just my 2 cents based on what I've seen. No offense to actual personal trainers who don't spend the whole session texting and chatting when your client isn't even breaking a sweat. But I sure have seen a lot of that going on.

Go crossfit !!!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    CrossFit isn't really anything more than paying for creativity and motivation. Both of those things are free, so...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is awesome. IMHO, it's far better than the hand full of regular gyms I've ever been to and the level of instruction blows away any regular gym's personal trainers that I've seen.

Again, just my 2 cents based on what I've seen. No offense to actual personal trainers who don't spend the whole session texting and chatting when your client isn't even breaking a sweat. But I sure have seen a lot of that going on.

Go crossfit !!!

They do a good job of protecting their brand by making certs difficult to obtain and requiring high standards, yes. Most gyms do not. Most PT are terrible hacks, IMO
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    See links.

Summary.

THE BOTTOM LINE

How come you said cross fit came out on top when the study didn't have the subjects do anything but crossfit workouts?

That was the title of the article in the Huffington post.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LMFAO.

The men burned nearly 21 calories a minute while women burned just over 12.

that's not saying much- Fran takes most people less than 10 minutes. so for me that's what 120 calories? big whoop.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is a dangerous cult.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Crossfit is a dangerous cult.

Don't be bitter just cause you're a bottom...
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

^^ THIS

16 people in one workout monitored? Sounds like a flawless studies with 0 holes in it.

Your thread is dumb