CrossFit Put To The Test, Comes Out On Top: Study

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue that CrossFit is bad, or ineffective. It clearly is a good option, for those who like it.

But it certainly isn't the ONLY good option. There are many methods out there that will help you reach your goals. And what is best may vary depending on goals. Someone who wants to bulk up will probably do better with a different kind of lifting (as well as calorie surplus) while someone who wants to complete a triathalon would probably do better to focus on swimming, biking, and running. To say that CrossFit is the BEST exercise is just as biased and erroneous as to say it is the worst.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    [
    How come you said cross fit came out on top when the study didn't have the subjects do anything but crossfit workouts?

That was the title of the article in the Huffington post.

Well, consider the source … ? :tongue:
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is a dangerous cult.

Don't be bitter just cause you're a bottom...

It was only a matter of time before the CF haters showed up
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    original.jpg
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    "Each routine took varying amounts of time to complete"

Again with a sample size of 16 theres no way any data collected has any significant statistical power to me jack fkn squat.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    [
    How come you said cross fit came out on top when the study didn't have the subjects do anything but crossfit workouts?

They re-reported the original article so they are not the source. You don't believe high intensity training works?
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    original.jpg

Or Pin about, or Facebook about.........gets old!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    original.jpg

2hgfe6h.jpg
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    [

Actually, I think the study researchers themselves suggested that what they found indicates that a Crossfit workout helps to increase aerobic capacity better than much other, more traditional forms of aerobic training (eg, long slow runs).
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's only compared to itself: of course something is better than nothing if you don't hurt yourself! It would be nice to see it compared to HIIT on a treadmill/bike/other, weight lifting, running, etc. It also of course depends what it is you are trying to accomplish.

I don't think they give you enough recovery time, learning stability and control, or maintaining form.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if you do any form of exercise consistently you will burn calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    original.jpg

2hgfe6h.jpg

To be clear, I wasn't hating at all. I don't do Crossfit but know many that do with great enjoyment and success. Too each their own.

It's funny regardless though cause it's so true.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    NGjC2.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    NGjC2.gif

Awesome kitty! Give him the nip!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    “This is not the workout for a 45-year-old person with multiple cardiovascular risk factors. People absolutely need to be properly screened before beginning CrossFit.”

Translation - CrossFit is great for people who already have a high degree of cardiovascular fitness.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is a dangerous cult.

Don't be bitter just cause you're a bottom...

It was only a matter of time before the CF haters showed up

Let me know when they do!
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    original.jpg

2hgfe6h.jpg

To be clear, I wasn't hating at all. I don't do Crossfit but know many that do with great enjoyment and success. Too each their own.

It's funny regardless though cause it's so true.

I thought it was funny and I do CF. This made me think about the preCF days.
    My wife's friends were always talking about it. I thought they were crack pots.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There's no point in "hating" on CF. It's at its peak popularity right now, three years from now half the studios will be closed as the exercise world moves on to the next big thing.

Meantime, those who enjoy should keep enjoying it! Any exercise is better than no exercise, in my book. :smile:
  • rockinjennydee
    rockinjennydee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been CrossFitting for almost 2 months now...am down nearly 25 lbs when nothing else had worked in the past. I'm a firm believer! Eating a paleo lifestyle has also made a HUGE difference! Interesting articles though! Thanks for posting...it serves as an extra added bonus and confirmation that I am doing the right thing FOR ME and for MY BODY! (Other stuff could work for other people, I've tried it all and CrossFit has made the biggest impact in my life!) I say if you haven't tried it, you can't and shouldn't criticize it - different things work* for difference people and for different reasons. Try it and you'll be hooked! :wink:
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    when i see people doing crossfit stuff at my gym i get so mad......i cant really explain why i get mad...i just do