Marriage - is it that important?

Options
Madame_Goldbricker
Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
I'm genuinely interested in opinions on this. What's your view?

*I Threw it out there as a random question really. Clarifying I'm not asking from a religious stand point (cheers wolverine)

I see the notion of marriage coming up frequently in the relationship threads. Just wondered if people see it as something important to themselves or not.

Replies

• bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    No, not for me.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    only for tax reasons and health insurance. commitment is much more important and you don't necessarily need marriage for that.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    to whom? in what context?

because i'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you mean "in general," that some people will find it very important and some people will find it not important, and the rest will be degrees in between.

and then there will be a silly argument, possibly from a religious angle.

and then "lock."
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It depends greatly on individual opinion and beliefs. :smile:
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    What do you mean? Is it important to get married if you love someone? Or is it important to make sure you get married even if you never meet the right person?

I'm married. Yes, it is very important and special. Does that mean I think everyone needs to be married? No, I don't think it's important for everyone nor do I think everyone thinks my marriage is important based on their thought process.

Marriage IS special and should always be viewed as that. Some other human being has made that vow to you which is very serious to me. Anytime another person vows to be with you for the rest of their life should be considered important. Doesn't mean everyone views it that same way, but that's just my opinion.

And I do know that 50% of marriages end in divorce, but that would never be an option for me unless very specific things occured in the marriage to drive me to divorce.

AND I have been married 15 years and with the same man for 19 years. :)
  • jayaprathappsg
    jayaprathappsg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Its really up to you...

We wanted to have a kid and it make sense to have a dad and mom at the house for the kid. I have a great marriage but trust me our kid helps us to be better!!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    To whom, and for what? It really only matters if it's important to you and your SO.
  • impartialbystander
    impartialbystander Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting forum topic. What inspired the question?
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    IT's important to those that it's important to.
  • Yodifer
    Yodifer Posts: 87
    Options
    My husband and I have been together since my freshman year of high school. We had 2 kids. 2 years ago we finally decided to get married. Both of our parents had been divorced and we just didn't see the importance. After realize the money we'd save on insurance and taxes we decided it was best (and it did kind of always bother me that my last name was different than the girls). So basically we got married for logistical purposes. I didn't think a piece of paper would matter....but I can honestly say I have never felt closer to him than I do now and I really love that all of our last names are the same now. I think it was a good example to set for our kids as well.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    This is a really interesting forum topic. What inspired the question?

There is another thread on this section about someone thinking of leaving their partner because he doesn't want to get married. I'm assuming it was inspired by that, but I could be wrong!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely interested in opinions on this. What's your view?

I think it is totally individual.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    when you find the right person, yes it is.....until then.....no \m/
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    In theory, yes. In practical application, it is basically a contract in which a man transfers wealth to woman (except in the rare case where the woman makes more).

So, for a guy, if you get REALLY lucky it can probably be great.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Marraige, as our society currently views it, is merely a legal contract between two consenting adults. Entered into with high emotion. Clearly not the best condition to enter into a contract.

I, personally, view it as MUCH more significant. It's more than a contract. More than a piece of paper. Way more.

But, you'll find many who disagree and live their lives accordingly.
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My marriage is very important to me, getting married was not a goal but once i was married everything I do is a reflection on our marriage, so at the end of the day My marriage is important and neither of us do anything to lose that, also it is a commentiment which can be done without the paper....

Why do you ask??
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I used to think it was but after 10 years of marriage I can't see why I used to think that.

What is more important is happiness.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    To me - absolutely.

To others - that's their bidness.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, so here's mine.

It's more than a piece of paper, it's a promise in stone that you'll put up with the other person no matter what. It is an outward show in front of EVERYONE of the promise that you will uphold the vows given on the day of marriage , and sometimes the other person will test your patience on this. I've been married almost 21 years.

It used to be worth it from the monetary viewpoint of tax breaks, but that is slowly evaporating.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Only if you're married or want to be. Or if you know married people.