Marriage - is it that important?

Options

Replies

• vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in god or all that crap ...

But you do believe in crap, so that's good.
    THIS!!
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It is to my husband and I. We wanted to be married before starting a family. While others don't agree, I feel there is an extra feeling of commitment there. I really...I would rather refer to him has my husband rather than my boyfriend or partner. That has nothing to do with why we got married, though. But yes. I find married to be important.
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options
    to whom? in what context?

because i'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you mean "in general," that some people will find it very important and some people will find it not important, and the rest will be degrees in between.

and then there will be a silly argument, possibly from a religious angle.

and then "lock."

Don't know if I'd actually call that "going out on a limb" so much. Maybe better of calling it "stating the obvious"
  • jefftprice
    Options
    Younger people and in to their 20's you find allot of people saying I just want to have fun, I don't want to get married, meeting new partners and trying out as many possibilities as possible seems to be the best plan. That's a part of becoming a true adult; finding yourself and who your are, many people go through the stage.

Most people though as they get older ( out of their 20's but sometimes longer) find that they want companionship more then fun.

When you are with someone for a significant amount of time and as you grow older you personality changes, many find sex isn't the most important thing in their lives.

Companionship starts to take a higher priority and when your with someone for a significant point of time, marriage in many cases is a sign of fully committing to your relationship.

In short companionship is an very important part of a healthy long life mentally, physically and to some spiritually.

Is it important? Well married people; the ones that make it, usually live longer happier lives then people who choose to live alone.

Its always nice to look back on your life and have shared experienced, intimidate experiences with someone that can remember them with you

so marriage to someone you love and care for? I saw why not?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is anymore.

What's the divorce rate now 50%?

Marriage would be a detriment to me and hurt my tax status and make my coming child's health insurance too expensive.

I'm not seeing the benefit to marriage. In the case of death I can still name him as the beneficiary to my life insurance. His credit hurts me. Yeah, no benefit,

The ideal of marriage is to seal land agreements and for resources. Marriage is a contract it's never been about love.

Whoops, guess the fact that divorces are so common and easily obtained make it not so great a committment.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is extremely important for me personally.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think it is. Actually having a *good marriage* is important.

P.S. Also you can have a cheap meaningful wedding for next to nothing and mean just much as a $15,000 shin-dig.
    I had 8 guests, no bridesmaids and a $50 green & black dress. Paid the lady who married us like $80 bucks. Went out to eat afterwards. And we're just as married as our friends who had to take out huge loans to make some big production happen. :drinker:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think the statistic is 50% of all marriages, which includes second and third marriages. I think the rate for first marriages is lower.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It really is up to each individual person.
  • jefftprice
    Options
    Younger people and in to their 20's you find allot of people saying I just want to have fun, I don't want to get married, meeting new partners and trying out as many possibilities as possible seems to be the best plan. That's a part of becoming a true adult; finding yourself and who your are, many people go through the stage.

Most people though as they get older ( out of their 20's but sometimes longer) find that they want companionship more then fun.

When you are with someone for a significant amount of time and as you grow older you personality changes, many find sex isn't the most important thing in their lives.

Companionship starts to take a higher priority and when your with someone for a significant point of time, marriage in many cases is a sign of fully committing to your relationship.

In short companionship is an very important part of a healthy long life mentally, physically and to some spiritually.

Is it important? Well married people; the ones that make it, usually live longer happier lives then people who choose to live alone.

Its always nice to look back on your life and have shared experienced, intimidate experiences with someone that can remember them with you

so marriage to someone you love and care for? I saw why not?
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. If it's important to the individual, sure. Marriage for me meant mostly legal rights for myself, my husband, and our kids. We were together for 4 years before we got married and our kids were 2 & 3 years old when we got married. Marriage does not equal commitment. It does not equal love. It is not a guarantee for a stable or enjoyable home life. And I've known plenty of people who said the pressure of being married destroyed a previously wonderful relationship (just as the pressure of not getting engaged has ruined relationships). Not everyone is meant for it.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    only for tax reasons and health insurance. commitment is much more important and you don't necessarily need marriage for that.

^^ This ^^
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Marriage is very important to me, and when I did get married it felt different. Addressing my spouse as my husband has an elevated status that makes me feel different than if I simply said boyfriend or fiance. It tells me he is serious about committing to a lifelong partnership with me.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It's important that the option be available to those who choose to enter this type of institution, including our gay brothers and sisters. The marriage institution has been held hostage by those with the power and it's time to set it free to those who want to take their relationship to this level. There are many legal resources available to those within a marriage than without, which is why it's an important choice.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely interested in opinions on this. What's your view?

*I Threw it out there as a random question really. Clarifying I'm not asking from a religious stand point (cheers wolverine)

I see the notion of marriage coming up frequently in the relationship threads. Just wondered if people see it as something important to themselves or not.

Much of it will depend on context. Should you consider your life a waste becaue you've never gotten married? Certainly not.

Should you do everything you can so you can say "I'm married!" as early in your life as possible? DEFINITELY not.

One challenge that comes up is that it seems a good number of people treat marriage like a checklist item that must be checked off before considering their life complete.

I more than willingly tell people it's better to be single and lonely than to poision your life or someone else's life with a relationship that was rushed into.

For me, the big thing about marriage is that it demonstrates a particular degree of commitment. If and when I get to say "I do", I will be telling the woman in front of me that I am committed to her, our relationship, and our family. In fact, she will know that I am so committed to her that I'm willingly abandoning the easy-out solution of just breaking up. At that point, our relationship is such that I am no longer allowing inconvenience to be a reason for me to terminate it. If, for example, there's a conflict regarding our life together and my job, I am obligated to sit down with her and work it out. I don't get to say "I like my job, so bye".

Can this degree of commitment exist without marriage? Yes. I'm sure there are people out there who are lovingly and wholly committed to each other without making anything official.

But to me, marriage means that I'm willing to stand in front of the State, my friends, my family, and my god and say that that committment is there, which, in turn, invites their scorn and enmity if I volate that commitment.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure I understand the question....

My marriage is important to me...marriage may not be important to someone else.
    I don't believe in god or all that crap so it's not for me but if it makes my future wife happy, then whateves, just an expensive party!
    My wife and I aren't religious at all and did not have any kind of religious ceremony for our wedding. It was rather small, just close personal friends and family...the wedding itself was an exercise signifying our commitment to each other, with that promise being witnessed by said friends and family.

All my friends have gotten married in a non religious way, much better than the whole church thing, those damn wooden pews are uncomfortable. I would do it that way personally, I would do it in a church if the girlfriend wanted it though, I really couldn't care less, what ever makes her happy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    While I am not religious, I am a bit of a traditionalist, so I personally find it important from a traditional standpoint and a legal standpoint.

However, I do not find it important in the context of committment. I think that it really changes nothing in a relationship, especially if you are already living together and have children. At that point you are only doing it for a piece of paper.
    I don't know about that ...

I've lived with someone for nearly nine years. We don't have kids together, but we both have kids. We're starting to talk marriage and it's kind of scary. We're definitely committed. It isn't just a piece of paper.

But I don't think you can understand that until you live it because the idea didn't scare me until it started becoming reality.

Once you are married, you will feel and act exactly the same. You might feel happy and squishy on the inside a bit, but I rather doubt it will do anything, in and of itself, to enrich your relationship.
    You can't know that, though. Unless you've been through it, you can't know that.

I'll let you know once I make it to "the other side." :smile: :wink:

And one person in here who was in a similar situation to mine has already said that isn't the case.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ive been with hubby for 8 years, engaged for nearly 4. We're common law, and im in no real hurry to formalize it. That piece of paper wont make us love each other more.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in god or all that crap ...

But you do believe in crap, so that's good.

I do now! I was always under the impression that girls don't fart, boy was I proven wrong by MFP!!!
  • 2b_perfect00
    2b_perfect00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd be happy never getting married. Just a waste of money and I have to change all my stuff over. I don't think it's important. Other than filing taxes together and having the same last name I don't see a difference in being married and just being together.