How much $ is your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nothing....our health insurance covers it. :bigsmile:

ETA: Health First and it has everything, pool, walking/jogging track, most classes are free.

I am actually working on building my own gym with weight lifting equipment, don't know how much longer I will be able to keep gym membership if hubby's work drops insurance because of obamacare. :ohwell:
  • ichibanmom
    ichibanmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Barre studio where I pay $250 / month and get to take up to 30 classes....$3,000 a year.
    My son and I are avid climbers, climbing gym for the two of us: $1,298 a year.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Nada
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    80.00 a year. not a great place, but i have a power rack, deadlift station, dumbbells up to 100lbs, and a couple random machines amongst the cardio equipment....
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Currently paying $75/month for 24 Hour Fitness Ultra Sport. Giving up that membership for Equinox in December which will be $115/month thanks to the BF's corporate discount.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    $86 per month for the family at our new YMCA! It is loaded with great new equipment, tons of classes and lots of stuff for my kids. LOVE IT!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Goodlife Canada $42 a month
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Free dollars.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    $85 for a family membership at the YMCA. Includes locker rooms, towels, sauna, hot tub, fitness center, gyms, kids gym (I have a 5 year old), climbing wall, 2 pools, aqua classes, regular classes (spin, zumba, yoga & more) Oh, and with my hubby's insurance we get a $20 refund each per month, so it actually costs us only $45/month. It has childcare if I need it, too, but for a bit extra.

Well worth it if you ask me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Don't know the exchange rate, but £25 a month.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    $84 for the YMCA. Its a huge complex, 2 pools, outdoor pool and splash pad, many free classes (though if you want a smaller yoga class or trx or bootcamp that is extra). Also free childcare for 2 hours a day, which is mainly why we always join a YMCA.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that gym memberships were so cheap in America! I'm in Australia, I have a fairly cheap gym membership for here... $15 per week for full access membership to the council pool complex (lane pool, leisure pool, spas, sauna), the gym and all classes. Prior to that I was paying $15 per week just for a gym with hardly any classes. I've seen memberships here up to $25 per week just for a gym with no pool. My husband pays the same as I do... so $120 every 4 weeks for both of us.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    $300-$400? Don't know. I use 24-hr Fitness.
    Currently paying $75/month for 24 Hour Fitness Ultra Sport. Giving up that membership for Equinox in December which will be $115/month thanks to the BF's corporate discount.
    :noway: I feel much better about how much I'm paying them. You must be at the gym every day...all day.

Equinox does look nice, though.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Been trying to figure out which gym to join for the past month-ish. Gyms run about 70-85/month. I thought about joining the university gym for #35/month plus $100 annual "Friends of UAS" fee.

This week I decided instead of joining a gym, I'll buy multi-use punchcards for the hockey rink for both free-skate and drop-in hockey. My work schedule makes it so I basically get the rink to myself for the early morning free skate, and I'll have decent numbers, but not a crowd, for drop-in hockey.

11 punches is $60 for hockey and $50 for free skate. Since the rink is owned by the city and I work for the city, I get 10% off.

When the next hockey season starts (January), I'll have to pay about $300 for a 3ish month season. At that point I'll either ditch free skate or drop-in hockey.

In the meantime, I'm scouring the town and craigslist for weights so I can do strength training at home.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Mine is $18 a month.

There are 2 other gyms in my area, one which is $45 a month and another that's $95. I'm pretty broke most of the time and the gym I go to has everything I need and its hardly ever crowded, so its nice.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Around $50 a month. In the last year, we've gotten all new treadmills and ellipticals, renovations to the changerooms (which weren't bad in the first place), all new weight plates, and a couple new olympic bars (when there were already enough for the 3 flat benches, incline, decline benches, military press, squat rack and power rack, with an extra).

Bonus is that my work schedule allows me to go most of the time when it's quiet and I never have to wait for anything ... super bonus is it's across the street from my house.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Been trying to figure out which gym to join for the past month-ish. Gyms run about 70-85/month. I thought about joining the university gym for #35/month plus $100 annual "Friends of UAS" fee.

This week I decided instead of joining a gym, I'll buy multi-use punchcards for the hockey rink for both free-skate and drop-in hockey. My work schedule makes it so I basically get the rink to myself for the early morning free skate, and I'll have decent numbers, but not a crowd, for drop-in hockey.

11 punches is $60 for hockey and $50 for free skate. Since the rink is owned by the city and I work for the city, I get 10% off.

When the next hockey season starts (January), I'll have to pay about $300 for a 3ish month season. At that point I'll either ditch free skate or drop-in hockey.

In the meantime, I'm scouring the town and craigslist for weights so I can do strength training at home.

That's a good alternative. Sounds like fun. Regarding the weights, are you looking for major weight lifting equipment or just weights for barbells? If it's for the barbells, you can pick those up at Walmart for pretty cheap, too.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Rock gym is $28/mo.
    University gym is free
    Working out at home or running (which I do most often) is free
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

That's a good alternative. Sounds like fun. Regarding the weights, are you looking for major weight lifting equipment or just weights for barbells? If it's for the barbells, you can pick those up at Walmart for pretty cheap, too.

I checked out Walmart today... If I don't find anything used in the next few days I'll probably start off with some barbells from them.
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness $10/month over here. :D I used to have a membership to a local YMCA, but the drive was almost across town (even further if I went to the YMCA that had work out equipment) and the price was more than triple what I pay now. So I'm saving money on gas *and* on the membership!

Extra bit of awesome: my PF is less than a quarter of a mile from my son's school so in the mornings I drop him off, work out, then come home (I work from home). It's the best thing I've done for myself in a long time.