did you ditch your clothes after losing the weight?

Options
...or do you keep some in the back of your closet--just in case.

also (sorry, I posted a variation on another forum), when you start exercing (with weights) do you get bigger? I haven't started to exercise yet, but I am wondering if I should keep my bigger clothes around.

Replies

• Yodifer
    Yodifer Posts: 87
    Options
    I didn't really believe I was smaller until I got to be about 40lbs lighter and my husband politely told me I looked ridiculous in my old clothes. I threw them all away.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hard to do, but I'm getting rid of the bigger clothes, no matter that they're like new.

Lifting weights will not make you "bigger". Women have a hard time gaining mass. Lifting will make you strong and build some muscles, giving a nice toned body. Now, if you're going to do the bulk-cut thing, then you may very well gain some fat while trying to build mass.
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get rid of my clothes as they become big. I saved a couple pieces to remember how far I've come.

On weights - no, you will not get bulky. You'll get toned and strong. There's nothing attractive about skinny fat. No need to go nuts on the amount of weights. Start small and focus on your core. Bands are great too. Maybe invest in some training sessions or try pilates. I'm a fan of free weights and bands, because I engage more muscles that way.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Actually I just pulled a bunch of my "original" fat clothes from the attic over the weekend. Really put into perspective how far I've come. Those were the only clothes I saved (just in case), all the other clothes as I've shrunk out of them, I donate them. Now those items will be donated as well. Other than a few items that I wear around the house to clean or do yard work, everything from my former self is gone.

I started seriously lifting weights in May, went from size 14 to size 8, so no lifting weights will not make you bigger.
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have had to clean out my closets with each passing season. It was hard at first to donate them and I kept some stuff around "just in case". However, now I donate everything. I didn't need to turn to the bigger clothes then so I'm not holding on to them now. I also do very heavy strength training and the only thing it did to my clothes was make them looser!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    get rid of them
    your not going to get fat again.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    GONE! I had my no turning back moment. It feels weird but awesome. :)
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately at this moment I can't afford new clothes so I'm still wearing 2XL shirts when I should be wearing L/XL. The pants I had to get rid of- even with the belt they kept falling down. True story- I was walking up the stairs at my college and my hands were full and my pants literally fell off of me. Like, I stepped right out of them even with shoes on. There was someone behind me...
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Yes, I get rid of my clothes as they become big. I saved a couple pieces to remember how far I've come.

On weights - no, you will not get bulky. You'll get toned and strong. There's nothing attractive about skinny fat. No need to go nuts on the amount of weights. Start small and focus on your core. Bands are great too. Maybe invest in some training sessions or try pilates. I'm a fan of free weights and bands, because I engage more muscles that way.

Thank you, all. I don't plan on bulking up...I just want to get toned. I just joined a gym and meet my personal trainer tomorrow. I plan to do a day of pilates class, a day of 30-40 minutes cardio, two days (20-30 minute sessions) of some sort of weight resistance (by that, I mean toning exercise with weights).
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Nope, well I got rid of it all except one pair of my "fat girl" jeans. They are still hanging in my closet as a reminder that I was in a 20wp and now I am in a 4p
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i finally cleaned out my closet and filled 2 large trashbag that are going to donation.... only took me 2 years to get rid of them.
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    I did 15 years ago but then I got fat again. Currenlty on my way to a 34" waist ,........I hope.
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yes. do it. donate those clothes. i slacked off and started gaining, and when i reached 10 lbs of gain, my clothes felt miserable. if i still had one size up i would've kept goofing around about getting serious about losing that 10. it was a great wake-up call to say "welp, you can wear the same two outfits everyday or you can get back to the gym and start logging every morsel again". better to catch it at 10 lbs than to have a back-up plan that involves allowing 20-30 lb gains.
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ditch them, otherwise it is too easy to gain weight back and slip into old clothes....
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I gave some away. I do have a pair of pants in my closet that are my biggest size that I sit in sometimes when I have a week where I don't lose anything. Puts everything in perspective. I
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I got rid of them. I was holding on to clothes that were WAY too big for me as a safety net. Once I got back on track, the first thing I did was go through everything with my Fiancee and we ditched what she affectionately referred to as my "Hobo Rodeo Clown Pants" as well as some others.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately at this moment I can't afford new clothes so I'm still wearing 2XL shirts when I should be wearing L/XL. The pants I had to get rid of- even with the belt they kept falling down. True story- I was walking up the stairs at my college and my hands were full and my pants literally fell off of me. Like, I stepped right out of them even with shoes on. There was someone behind me...
    lol that stinks!! go to the goodwill and get some nice jeans for 5 or 10 bucks! they have sales on the first and last saturday of the month for 50% off, i've found it helpful
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I donated most of my clothes. Especially the pants. I kept most of my tops, because I am big chested and those didn't shrink as much.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    donated and tossed. kept one pair of jeans for the epic b/a photo. I still have a few sweatshirts and t-shirts that I wear around the house.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I took mine to an upscale consignment shop so I could get a little cash for my new smaller size clothes!