did you ditch your clothes after losing the weight?

Options

Replies

• joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    GONE! I had my no turning back moment. It feels weird but awesome. :)

I agree with this wholeheartedly! It is kind of a terrifying thought in some ways but also very powerful. Oh, I did keep one piece of clothing, recommended by one of my mfpals, so that I can track how far I have come periodically.

In regards to your question of clothing & exercising, I doubt very much you would gain so much muscle that you would be going back to a bigger size. Seems physically impossible for a woman to do but I'm not a lifter so am probably wrong about that.

Good luck with your journey!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately at this moment I can't afford new clothes so I'm still wearing 2XL shirts when I should be wearing L/XL. The pants I had to get rid of- even with the belt they kept falling down. True story- I was walking up the stairs at my college and my hands were full and my pants literally fell off of me. Like, I stepped right out of them even with shoes on. There was someone behind me...
    lol that stinks!! go to the goodwill and get some nice jeans for 5 or 10 bucks! they have sales on the first and last saturday of the month for 50% off, i've found it helpful

Unfortunately around here they are around $15 for a pair of used pants. I'd rather spend the extra $5 and get a new pair from walmart, but as I only work part time I can't even afford that yet.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22 lbs since using MFP, and lost close to 30 overall this year, with another 8 pounds to go. I've only bought one new outfit, so I'm still wearing all my old "fat" clothes, but once I reach my goal, I plan on doing one of the following:

1. Give away anything that doesn't fit right at all
    2. Keep the clothes that I still love that can be taken in

Ultimately, I plan on getting rid of about 80% of my wardrobe. I don't want to keep anything "just in case" because I want to stay the weight I have worked hard on getting to. I'm hoping it will give me that added push to maintain my new weight because I won't have anything else around to wear if I gain it all back.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    As each season passes, i donate the big stuff. I have kept the absolute biggest pair of jeans just to see where i came from.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Of course I ditched them. Why keep clothes that are too big? So I can fall back on them if need be? Why even allow a fall back plan to be an option? No way. Never.
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    I got rid of all of them.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Gave them away or donated them, cause I'm NEVER going to wear them again!!! :happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, I donated most of my clothes. Some I was able to alter (I only lost 2 sizes).

You may get a little bigger from water retention when you begin lifting weights, depending on how much fat (if any) you are losing at the same time. But if you stick with it you will get smaller if you are losing fat.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 lbs and have been giving my old too big for me clothes away. I haven't given them all away cuz I can't afford to replace any clothes right now, so I've kept the ones that fit a little better but r still to big on me. I don't want them around so I can fall back on hem if I gain weight, I've done that a few times with each pregnancy and now after three kids were r done, so no excesses.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Most of them have been given away or tossed. There a select few that I still have because they're comfy as all hell lol
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My partner made me watch whilst she bagged them up and threw out three sacks worth. I argued against one pair of trousers and she made me put them on and jump, then raised her eyebrows when they ended up round my ankles.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I sadly have been going in the opposite direction, and I can tell you getting donated clothes in my new bigger size has been a lifesaver...so go do it! I have, as a reality check, given away my 6's and 8's, but I'm holding on to the 10's....I will get back in them someday! Currently a 16/18.....
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Got rid of it! Donated it all. Problem is, I'm down to 1 pair of pants that actually fit, and I'm 1 size away from goal, lol so I refuse to buy more in this size. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Mine are gone...no turning back. I did keep one pair of jeans though that I pull out whenever I'm having a "fat" day (which are becoming more and more rare)...I put 'em on to prove to myself how far I've come.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm deciding on this right now many of my clothes are too big. I'd like to sell them but part of me wants to keep them. I feel like if I keep them then I'm acknowledging that I will be this big again. So I'm torn, but if I find someone who wants them they are sold to the highest bidder.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been getting rid of clothes and replacing them as I move down in sizes. I don't want to keep them because they do not fit. I find it is a confidence boost to have clothes that fit and look good on me. Also by not having the larger sizes I have to watch my weight or I will have no clothes.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Mine are in my closet :( my kids and hubby keep telling me to get rid of them but I just can't seem to believe that I am actually where I am now. I am going to give it some more time to sink in that I am no longer the person I was.
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 lbs 5 years ago and gave away most of my clothes to a friend and donated the rest. Well, after a while I put most of it back on, and had to buy all new "fat clothes". The clothes I had given away were all really cute from good stores, and so I had to lay out a lot of money again to replace them. This time I have lost about 40 lbs so far, with another 15 to 20 to go. I am keeping the clothes that are too big, labeled in boxes for at least a few years. We have the space in a storage building we own. I just don't want to have to replace everything. Not that I plan to put the weight back on.....but it has happened before.
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ive been replacing as i ditch old clothes, although it would appear i have only lost 2kg thats because i just joined mfp last week but have been on weightloss programme since beginning of summer and have actually lost bout 30kg . i dont buy alot just enough to see me till i reach next size and i dont buy anything with elastic in waistband .. that way i cant kid myself lol
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    22lbs down and I'm still fitting in most of my current wardrobe. :ohwell:

I do plan on ditching most of the clothes as I (finally) outshrink them, although I'm hoping there's one or two good pieces I'll be able to alter. And I want to keep my biggest pair of pants, just for the humourous "goal" photo!