did you ditch your clothes after losing the weight?

Options

Replies

• Lunnunis
    Lunnunis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've gone from UK20 to UK14-16 so far, still got 15lbs to lose. I have kept my size 16 tees and jeans as I think I will put some back on over Christmas but got rid of the 20s a while back and have only got one or two 18s still around. It's too scary to ditch everything straight away but I need room for the new smaller stuff, got to get rid of the other to make room!!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have 4 daughters. My 14yo wears the same size I currently wear but likes her clothes baggy once in a while so I saved the last batch for her.

The first set I gave to Goodwill.
    The second batch went to my mom because she wears that size.
  • SwtPzYaya
    SwtPzYaya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats! you have come a long way...I agree with you, donate that past life, and save a shirt or pair of pants to know how far you have come... Good luck to you and Never Forget Where U Come From!
  • lindas2008try
    lindas2008try Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost and gained many times over the year. I always kept my big clothes (just in case). For the very first time I actually got rid of everything after losing 56 pounds. Bye-bye to size 16, 14, 12 and 10 ... except I did keep 1 pair of size 10 slacks (just in case). I also kept one pair of "fat" shorts to remind me where I'd been and how I didn't want to be THERE again! After maintaining for over 3 years I started regaining a bit. I ended up wearing that size 10 slacks everywhere and, because I had nothing else to wear, I got serious again and I'm back down within 4.5 # of goal.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Actually I just pulled a bunch of my "original" fat clothes from the attic over the weekend. Really put into perspective how far I've come. Those were the only clothes I saved (just in case), all the other clothes as I've shrunk out of them, I donate them. Now those items will be donated as well. Other than a few items that I wear around the house to clean or do yard work, everything from my former self is gone.

I started seriously lifting weights in May, went from size 14 to size 8, so no lifting weights will not make you bigger.

I got rid of my larger clothes when they got too big. I will not need them again.

I also started strength training and although I didn't lose more sizes, my clothes now fit much better and also as above, I did not get bigger by gaining muscle. We are not built the same way as men and tend not to bulk up by adding muscle.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've just moved so made the active decision whilst packing to give away all of my clothes that are a Large or > 34inch too charity. That way I will always know if my clothes stop fitting me ive fallen back into old ways.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I didn't really believe I was smaller until I got to be about 40lbs lighter and my husband politely told me I looked ridiculous in my old clothes. I threw them all away.

This really made me laugh, but in a good way :) well done!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've gone from XXXL shirts and a 46" inch waist to M shirts and a 32/34 (depending on brand/cut/etc) pants. Everytime I went down 2 sizes, I put the biggest size stuff I had left in "The Pile" Last year I donated like 4 contractor bags of shirts, pants, jackets etc.

I kept one of my absolutely largest pants and shirt just for that picture but I can't find them now and I think they made it onto the pile.

I kept a couple of XL tshirts to be super lazy in on a sunday morning but really the Large shirts can do that now...
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. There can be no "just in case."
  • pattyfitzroy
    Options
    4 garbage bags full, yep I got rid of them immediately.
  • jellybeandick
    Options
    your my inspiration! I weigh roughly 350 and i've been trying to loose these pounds but nothings been happening, i've read every blog on this website and yours is the only true one i can relate to!
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've come from a tight size 20 to fit into a 14 tightly , 16 is baggy but the best I can do ...I've been ditching the clothes because I NEVER will allow myself to go there again ! I've had to buy hundreds of dollars worth of clothes just in five months it's sad, so recently with winter coming and my BRAND NEW summer wardrobe sitting pretty never to be worn again , I've been investing research in consignment shops....name brand clothing gently used stuff ...and one place if found loves the brand I have ( gap) so I can take my clothes in she buys them and I turn around and buy some of the items she has , once those get lose ..li bring them back etc etc .. Its not an even trade but it's better than $40 bucks a pop for a pair of jeans ESP. Since I'm shrinking by the week ;) for now I'm just going to have to be contempt with the fact I'm going to be wearing thrift store clothing until I hit goal , which is when my husband said he will give me $1000 to buy a new wardrobe !!! Yay .....don't save the clothes ...u don't want to have an excuse to allow that weight to stay ;)
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    P.s. find a good seamstress ...for the stuff you love ;) I have several pea coats I'm bringing in to have taken in , I HOPE !!
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine so I couldn't think "I've got a bigger size in the wardrobe" and use it as an excuse to indulge.
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have mostly business casual clothes b/c of my job but I have to invest in more clothing b/c I look bigger than what I really am. My body is in that awkward stage right now, where it seems like nothing fits nor looks right. Even though I've lost weight. Can't afford a new wardrobe right now but I'm constantly buying new belt sizes to hold my pants up.

I still have my "big girl clothes"
  • jedigrover
    jedigrover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them or you have an excuse to get big again.

To ask this question, somewhere in the back of your mind, you must be doubting your own commitment. Think about it.

REALLY COMMIT, and don't ever give yourself an 'out' to return to your old ways.

To deal with rapidly changing sizes, shop at thrift stores until you get to the size you want. You'll save money, find some amazing buys, and be putting your money toward the help of others.
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Prior to starting my weight loss journey, I'd gotten as big as a size 20 and was still squeezing into size 18 clothing because I refused to buy any clothes larger than an 18 or XL/1X, so now all of the clothing that I have still fits...even after losing 50lbs. Well, they don't really fit, (most of it is starting to look loose and unflattering and I seem to be in btwn 16 and 18 at this point), but I can still maintain with some of it. I'm at the point now where I'm refusing to really "go shopping" until I can fit into a sz 16 b/c my budget doesn't allow for continually updating my wardrobe. Until then, I won't give away or get rid of most of the old clothes.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This time, I am giving away all of my "fat" clothes as I go along. I am keeping only one of my biggest pairs of pants just as a reference point for me. Everything else is going as I'm sizing down. I actually have another pile started right now of the stuff that I bought this summer that is now too big for me. :smile: I don't need to keep those clothes in case because I'm not going back there ever. No safety net of fat clothes!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get rid of them. Once they are so big that nothing will make them look nice (belt, cardigan, minor alterations that I can do myself), then they have to go! Makes me happy to see them go, and makes room in the closet for the new pieces that I'm slowly investing in. I sell anything that I can at a local consignment store, and everything else gets donated. Right now I'm trying to decide what to do with my old winter coat- sell it and get a smaller one, or save it and use it when I'm wearing something bulkier, like a suit jacket.

The only pieces that I keep are ones that are nice enough to warrant full alterations, or dresses that may come in handy down the road when I'm ready to have children (nice pieces that have room in the midsection and don't look crazy big elsewhere, like the arms).
  • slarobinson
    slarobinson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    it took me to lose 40lbs before i decided to get rid of anything. I'm still not down to my goal but i decided i'm not going back up in size so why keep them. And they didn't look good on me anymore. I say ditch the big clothes.