did you ditch your clothes after losing the weight?

Options

Replies

• Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No...

The pants I may be able to use for dirty work (just need a good belt). The sweaters and shirts all still fit - a bit more baggy, but the next size down would be pretty tight (eventually I may want a tighter fit...)

Mainly... I don't want to buy two new wardrobes. I got some pants... but I'm trying to slowly transition my wardrobe over to women's clothing at the same time - and I'm not fully out yet!! :D
  • focused201
    focused201 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I ditched evey last one of those bad boys with no hopes of ever going back, I currently am rebuilding my wardrobe but buying alot of yoga pants and stretchy material until i reach my goal weight. So far im down 113lbs since last yr this time and i dont have much further to go!!!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I didn't really believe I was smaller until I got to be about 40lbs lighter and my husband politely told me I looked ridiculous in my old clothes. I threw them all away.
    Lol.. My boyfriend told me I look like a flying squirrel in my VERY LARGE t-shirt haha.
  • jmp1958
    jmp1958 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Gave all to the Goodwill. I'm not going back!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I usually donate them to goodwill but keep one piece maybe a shirt or pants for videos and photos but that's about it. I think there is something final about getting rid of your clothes from when you are bigger and I think that is why I like keeping one piece every time.

Never forget where you came from :)

Tof
  • p2smommy
    Options
    Yes I ditched evey last one of those bad boys with no hopes of ever going back, I currently am rebuilding my wardrobe but buying alot of yoga pants and stretchy material until i reach my goal weight. So far im down 113lbs since last yr this time and i dont have much further to go!!!

Fantastic Job!!!
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The 14s went to the thrift store but I have a tote of 12s, a tote of 10s, a tote of 8s, and a tote of 6s in the attic. I have only been maintaining since the end of August and it is the same 20-25 pounds I lose every 10 years so I don't quite trust it. I think my biggest issue is that I did not keep my small clothes last time I was small. Now I am spending money on things I used to have so it is hard for me to get rid of the big clothes. Black dress pants for work seem like such a waste of money even at $7- $10 at the thrift store.

I am talking myself into getting rid of at least the 12s and 10s so I don't have such a large comfort zone of clothes. We will see.

I agree in principle with the "burn the ships" idea but my cheap self won't quite go along with it yet.
  • fatmichie123
    Options
    I am a stress eater and I usually gain and lose weight easily so the last time I slimmed down I donated all my fat clothes so I would be motivated to stay slim.....now I am cramming myself into jeans that are at least a size to small and it literally hurts to sit down. That being said I refuse to buy a bigger size that's why I joined this sight :)
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately at this moment I can't afford new clothes so I'm still wearing 2XL shirts when I should be wearing L/XL. The pants I had to get rid of- even with the belt they kept falling down. True story- I was walking up the stairs at my college and my hands were full and my pants literally fell off of me. Like, I stepped right out of them even with shoes on. There was someone behind me...
    lol that stinks!! go to the goodwill and get some nice jeans for 5 or 10 bucks! they have sales on the first and last saturday of the month for 50% off, i've found it helpful

Unfortunately around here they are around $15 for a pair of used pants. I'd rather spend the extra $5 and get a new pair from walmart, but as I only work part time I can't even afford that yet.

Have you looked into other thrift stores? The ones I go to I can get good quality pants for less than $10.

I have a couple of friends that I usually give my clothes to....otherwise I donate them.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I bought a sewing machine and altered all my favorite clothes. I gave ones I didn't love to Goodwill.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Please give them to the Salvation Army or a friend that could use them. Do not set yourself up with that you are going to save them just in case. Nope- as you lose- it's a new you- don't look back!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Gone, everything. In fact I only have three pairs of pants that fit me well and 2 that are really loose so I desperately need to go shopping. I have a few things that I'm taking to the seamstress this weekend to be fitted because I love them.
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lost the original 22lbs a little over three years ago. I started at a size 10 which were getting very tight which was why I started to lose the weight. I gave most of my size 10's away to my aunt when I reached size 4 but kept the bits and pieces that I bought in between, a couple of size 6 & 8 pants and a few dresses that were too fitting too big but were too pretty and new to give up. I slowly started to gain weight and used them all up again, when I started to feel the size 8 jeans were too tight I knew I had to get myself in gear again... there was no way I was buying more size 10's!!! I started in March and my goal is to fit back into my size 4's comfortably once more. I'm almost there, tried on my skinny jeans and they zipped up! Still a little tight but they should fit nicely by the end of the year. This time out I plan to just keep the size 6's so I don't have too much of a safety zone. Luckily my mom has lost some weight as well so she'll be receiving the bulk of my size 8's and all the cute medium tops that are too big on me already.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've been getting rid of mine slowly and surely, with the exception of a few tops that I keep for cleaning/crafting with the kids and it doesn't matter how loose they are.

For me I start to feel gross when my clothes don't fit well, so when that starts to happen, out they go!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When you lift weights you actually get smaller and tighter.
    Muscle is dense and take up less space, fat has a lot more volume.

I just recently cleaned out my closet of my big clothes. Donated most of it. I only kept a couple things only to remind myself where I came from. I really only have workout clothes to wear now, lol.

21525558.png
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have gotten rid of mine by season by either giving to a friend or donating. Its time to go through the winter stuff. Suited for Success is a great place to donate your work appropriate close.

I feel the pain on the Victoria Secret bras. I also had some great bras. I went from a 40C, down to 38Ds and finally 36Bs on this journey.

Several people have mentioned that it is incentive to stay on this journey. I want to love the clothes that I am wearing now. So there is incentive not to gain and look like a stuffed sausage.
  • amyrob56
    Options
    Thanks to this thread...

so after a Halloween treat day at work (that I now see set me back 5 days of progress) ... I decided to do another run through the closet/dresser last night.

Result -
    more clothes for Goodwill,
    more "big" shirts to take to the cabin - too sloppy for work but fine for the north woods
    rediscovered several nice jackets that fit but need sleeves shortened - bought on sale with that intention but somehow did not get done-yet!
    the new sweaters I bought last year are a little large but I will get one more season out of them before donating as I plan on 5-10 more pounds off this fall/winter...
    found several pairs of cool print jeans that are too big - never worn but I think I can resize them to fit....if not I may cut them up and repurpose them into vests or jackets....

Sizing??? What the heck??? I now have wearable pants in size 10, 8 and 6 (I am keeping one pair of 12s just because I love them) but M tops are snug - but L is too big and jackets have to be big 10s or 12s - good news the 14 jackets are now really too big...

Life as a lady with curves has its challenges...

Thanks for the push to purge!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've donated clothes 4 times - I've gon from a size 14 to a size 0/2. Lost 94 pounds over about 2 years and I've kept it off for several years. My body shape has changed with lifting so I've been giving clothes away to friends (they don't mind!). Once the weight is off the clothes go!

That's one "safety" net I don't want to keep. My maintainece range is +/- 5 pounds and I don't need bigger sizes for that.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    No, I donated them all. I've been slowly building my new wardrobe.
  • LGS1974
    Options
    Before I kept them. This time I'm getting rid. It's like some kind of get out clause - it shows you expect to be big again.

Top rule is never move out of your size again. Thin people gain a few pounds and just loose it again staying in their size. The fat mentality is gain weight and go up a size, feel comfortable, grow to the fill that size and so on.