Big 4 Lifts, What Muscles are Left Out?

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
So I thought this would make for a good topic... in the following lifts, what muscles would you say are insufficiently worked?

Bench
OH Press
Deadlift
Squat

The way I see it...

Biceps. I know they are used to help lower the weight on pressing movements, and that they are present whenever wrist rotation is in play, but they really don't get worked unless you're doing rows (another compound lift, sure).

Abs. Abs are used to help stabalize your core on most lifts, but they act to keep things stable, they are not truely movers.

Calves. Worse than abs lol All but completely neglected.

Side & Rear Delts. Again, they are used (and if you're rowing they really come into play depending on your form), but the front delts get all the glory.

Lats. They're like the biceps of the back. They help in lowering overhead loads and stablization, but they don't get much love otherwise.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Rhomboids - Another muscle that rows will hit that the big 4 largely leaves out. Deadlifts could depending on your form.

Lower traps - Totally different area of your muscle than the upper traps, does the opposite movement. Most people who work with weights exclusively are extremely weak in the lower traps. Responsible for rotating the scaps down, pushing the shoulders down. A properly done dip at lockout will work the lower traps. So will a pullup that goes all the way to chest to bar contact (a chin over bar pullup does not work the lower traps, getting strong at chin over bar pullups in no way translates to chest to bar pullup strength). Lower trap strength is needed to support yourself in an L-sit (and give you ground clearance).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I agree with both suggestions.

I like to balance pushing sets with an equal number of pulling sets. I consider "pulling" to be full range of motion of the arm backward or downward.. which would exclude deadlifts.

Also there are a bunch of skills that aren't adequately trained in the big 4, like stabilization, movement in all directions, asymmetrical loading, etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I concur. I feel like pull up/row work is often forgotten (HOW i have no idea) I feel like it's SO crucial.

Love my back work- almost as much as leg work. Back work is awesome.

Always trying to hit that deep side lat action. Feels great- it's so important to include this.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I agree with all this. This is why I personally won't do any Stronglifts, SS, or any of the Compound Lift only workouts. I don't believe they hit all the muscle groups and definitely don't get you moving in all planes of motion. Don't get me wrong, I do all the Compound Lifts but also include a bit of isolation work. If you don't get too carried away with the isolation work (as I'm sometimes guility of-LOL) I think it's a good balance.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But Strong Lifts has Pendlay Rows too. Supposedly will get lats and traps and biceps.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    this is a topic I will keep watching :drinker:

I agree with all this. This is why I personally won't do any Stronglifts, SS, or any of the Compound Lift only workouts. I don't believe they hit all the muscle groups and definitely don't get you moving in all planes of motion. Don't get me wrong, I do all the Compound Lifts but also include a bit of isolation work. If you don't get too carried away with the isolation work (as I'm sometimes guility of-LOL) I think it's a good balance.

So for someone doing SS, what isolation exercises would you add in?
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    If you're talking about muscles that "move" during these moves then I guess I agree with you. But I don't really agree that they are "left out" completely. They are definitely being contracted during all of these moves. Yes, even your calves. So, I really can't say they're being completely left out during these moves.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    So just do barbell rows. I do rows and I have seen some newbie gains with my lats and whatever the muscles are called between the shoulder and neck. I can also feel the rows working the middle back muscles as well.

I feel that biceps are not getting the workout I want from them so I do extra bicep isolations, curls bro.(mark rippentoes guilty pleasure). I also do calf raises but have been trailing off on them as I put more miles on running.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

These aren't so much isolation lifts, but I believe they isolate some muscles groups more than they're currently getting hit doing SS. Personally, I'd add 1 of these to the end of each workout:

Chin Ups
    Barbell Row or Bent Over Barbell Row (wide grip which isolates the upper back-rear delts, Rhomboids, Traps)
    Dips
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Good post! I have been wondering about this with the 5x5 program.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing more dips, pull ups, etc as soon as I lose more body weight. I think adding in these assistance exercises could hit a lot of those muscles that seem neglected. I am just too heavy yet to start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I tend to agree...but I usually still recommend something like SL or SS to noobs...IMHO they get the most bang for their buck as noobs when they're getting a lot of exposure to those compound lifts...isolation lifts can often be counterproductive when you're a noob. I do think a lot of people, especially here on MFP where SL and SS are king, a lot of people kinda forget that these routines are geared more towards beginners and not really designed to do forever. I guess SL has an intermediate to advanced progression, but a lot of people don't seem to really follow that program the way it's designed...and ultimately, outside of being good for noobs it's more of a power lifting template anyway which puts very little emphasis on anything other than those big lifts.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I concur. I feel like pull up/row work is often forgotten (HOW i have no idea) I feel like it's SO crucial.

Because pull-ups are hard and most people don't want to work that hard.
    These aren't so much isolation lifts, but I believe they isolate some muscles groups more than they're currently getting hit doing SS. Personally, I'd add 1 of these to the end of each workout:

Chin Ups
    Barbell Row or Bent Over Barbell Row (wide grip which isolates the upper back-rear delts, Rhomboids, Traps)
    Dips

Yup. Things like simple Back Raises are often left out. Most people fail in the squat and deadlift with a weak posterior chain and that definitely needs some additional focus.

Another thing that I think gets overlooked is the health of your rotator cuff. Adding in some deltoid work is pretty important.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be an *kitten* (it just happens naturally most of the time), but I don't understand the point of this thread.

The big 4 aren't meant to hit every muscle, they are meant to build functional strength. And the idea of muscle being worked sufficiently/insufficiently will depend largely on goals and progress. Furthermore, a lot of the secondary/stabilizing muscles are worked more or less depending on on the individual's and how conscious they are to engage those muscle. Abs can play a huge role in deads, lats in the bench, calves in deadlifts (especially stiff legged deads), etc. But if a person's form is off or whatever, those muscles may well get very little work.

That said, speaking VERY generally, I think a pull-up/row movement is missing.
  • JNick77
    Options
    this is a topic I will keep watching :drinker:

I would say at least do some chin-ups, dips, back raises. Very simple, very effective...
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah see, this is important because these are sometimes lauded as the end-all-beat-all full body routine. While I still believe the big four need to be the focal point of every routine, assistance work (lesser movements, not necessarily isolation though that's included) are very important as well. Even curls lol

It's just a point that I think is worth making, so that beginners, and anyone else for that matter, will understand. The big four are the most important exercises hands down, but there is a need for reasonable assistance work (ideally compound as well) to compliment them.

About programs like StrongLifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. These are excellent for beginners. You're not missing out on anything by doing these for your first few months until you're up to speed and realizing your true strength. Especially if you're rowing. Barbell row or dumbbell row, whichever.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    This is probably why a lot of good programs (like 5/3/1) include pulling accessory lifts:

one-arm db rows
    bb rows/two-arm db rows
    pull-ups
    chin-ups

You can also include bb/db curls, etc.

Don't forget that programs such as SS are novice programs, and are most likely not meant to be comprehensive! Oh, and doesn't Rippetoe recommend doing cleans in his program? Those will def hit the calves :-P
  • VaTechM3
    Options
    I plan on doing more dips, pull ups, etc as soon as I lose more body weight. I think adding in these assistance exercises could hit a lot of those muscles that seem neglected. I am just too heavy yet to start.

You can always modify to take off some of the extra weight. From doing p90x, you could put a stool under your pull up bar and stand on that with on leg so you're not lifting your entire weight.

Also, I've noticed gyms having assisted pullup/dips machines where you can select the weight you want to use.

Good luck out there! Think of it this way, the more weight you are, the faster your muscles will grow (probably not true lol, but maybe its motivation?)
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My workouts consist of Squats, Bench/Row, Deadlifts, OHP/Pull-ups plus any additional accessory work that I might want to include.

My biceps work will be me doing rows or chin-ups, I don't do curls.

I like to do pulls for every push that I do.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Don't forget that programs such as SS are novice programs, and are most likely not meant to be comprehensive! Oh, and doesn't Rippetoe recommend doing cleans in his program? Those will def hit the calves :-P

My calves are in really good shape and I haven't done a calf raise in a good year or so probably, just Squat, Deadlift, sometimes SLDL, and sprints. Kinda' interesting that Rip has a "beginner" program yet puts a very technical lift in the program. A little contradictory and he's received a bit of crap about that from his peers.