Big 4 Lifts, What Muscles are Left Out?

Options

Replies

• mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lot of talk about glutes... It's is probably more useful to look at the posterior chain as a whole rather than in parts, so hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. The squat and deadlift definitely hit those areas and in the short-term that might be enough. But mid to long-term, it's not enough and posterior chain work needs to be included to continue progressing. Back Raises (roman chair or on a back raise "bench"), straight-leg deadlifts, and even hip bridges are all fine exercises. Good Mornngs are good but I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward in some cases. I know with my back problems I can no longer tolerate them.

Do you guys know how you would be able to do back raises without equipment designed to do them, or is that exactly what a good morning is for? I hope that there is actually another way because my back does not like me doing good mornings.

Lat pulldown machine and a moveable flat bench. Put your legs on the bench and feet under the lat pulldown support. It's actually closer to a glute ham raise which is actually very good too.

If I had that as an option I would. I only have an adjustable bench and a squat rack. I may have to look into something cheap that I can build.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    OHP is a big 4?
    I'd put pullups or dips in there way before OHP, they're right up there next to deads and squats.

I think you could trade the deadlifts for the bent over barbell row (BLASPHEMY!!!! I know.) and hit almost everything with 4 main lifts.

Except, you know, the lower back.

Bent over does not work the lower back?
  • HungerHurts
    Options
    Interesting thread
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    OHP is a big 4?
    I'd put pullups or dips in there way before OHP, they're right up there next to deads and squats.

I think you could trade the deadlifts for the bent over barbell row (BLASPHEMY!!!! I know.) and hit almost everything with 4 main lifts.

I know that they do from doing them either before or after doing deadlifts, but deadlifts do far more for the lower back than rows. Maybe doing Pendelay Rows will hit the lower back more?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    OHP is a big 4?

I know that they do from doing them either before or after doing deadlifts, but deadlifts do far more for the lower back than rows. Maybe doing Pendelay Rows will hit the lower back more?

Nothing will be as effective as the DL. I was just entering the option to see if there could be 4 compounds to hit or engage almost every muscle.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    BuMp
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Bump for newb to read later.
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    I believe OHP is a big 4 due in part to it once being in Powerlifting and Olympic competition, and in part to those four lifts being about as close to full body lifts as you can get (Olympic lifts aside). That being said, part of why it is still considered a big 4 is that it builds shoulders and triceps directly; while indirectly building the "core", traps, and lats by forcing them to contract in order to maintain posture while pressing. You could even consider that the glutes, quads, and calves get work in a similar fashion if you are standing. I think similar arguments could be made for all of the big 4.

I think rows, chins, and dips etc... are assistance lifts because they arent competition lifts and because they are arguably less compound then the others - not less important, just less compound. They absolutely should have a place in a well rounded program. I know my lifts improved once I started adding them in.

Great post!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the knowledge!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You could probably get quite a ways just doing those 4, but personally I like about 7.

Squat, Deadlift, Barbell OHP, Chin/Pull ups, Bench, Pendlay Rows, Dip.

Maybe doing these doesn't hit the entire encyclopedia of available muscles in the body, but I do feel like I am covering my bases pretty well.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You could probably get quite a ways just doing those 4, but personally I like about 7.

Squat, Deadlift, Barbell OHP, Chin/Pull ups, Bench, Pendlay Rows, Dip.

Maybe doing these doesn't hit the entire encyclopedia of available muscles in the body, but I do feel like I am covering my bases pretty well.

Chuck in loaded carries and I think you've got something there....
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    OHP is a big 4?

If you consider Squats to "barely" work the abs, then bent-over rows do just as little for the lower back. It's a stabilizing muscle in Rows. Where as it is actively pulling the weight in deadlifts.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump to read
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Mike for posterior chain I know you mentioned DL's, have you the romanian deadlift variation at all?
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use the Big 7 myself
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As soon as I drop another 30-40 lbs, I am adding pull ups, and dips to round out the big 7 as well.
    :happy:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    bump to watch this topic.

Even as a newbie lifter, I have also felt that I'm "missing something" in my Stronglifts routine. I've started adding in some pull up/chin up work, and will also do some dips occasionally.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'd say lats is the biggest muslce to missout. if you substituted pull ups for dead lifts i think it would be more well rounded
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    dips are probably my favorite exercise. going to get some rings to hang from my pull up bar and do them that way, they are supposed to be a lot harder then on parallel bars.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    i'd say lats is the biggest muslce to missout. if you substituted pull ups for dead lifts i think it would be more well rounded

How about just add pull-ups/chin-ups? Ya know, since lower back needs to be worked too. I know it's not a vanity muscle, so people want to ignore it, but it's important.