Is sugar more evil than fat?

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Why with the constant "This perfectly normal component of food is going to kill you!!" fearmongering threads?

By this logic, I should stop breathing because I'll die someday.

my mom and sister jump on board with all the health fads... from high fructose corn syrup, red food dye, glucose, dairy, fat, carbs... SUGAR... my god, eat a well balanced diet, your more than likely going to die someday, hopefully not me, but when you do, i bet sugar wont be the cause...

My family does the same thing. Well, those that are "health conscious" anyway. They cut out x food because a (gasp!) new study claims that it's going to turn you into a mole person. They eat less because they gave up a staple part of their diet, and then run around flinging their pompoms all over because "IT WORKED!!!!"

Nope. It worked because you're eating less, but that was really cute to watch!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Your body needs sugar and fat to function.

Not true. Your body needs fat to function and *maybe* natural sugars in their natural state (like fruit). Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I think that carbs, fat and protein all lead to obesity and should be avoided AT ALL COSTS!

Every single person who is fat has eaten carbs, fat and protein and every single person who has died has eaten carbs, fat and protein.

We need to get the word out!!!!

^^LOL!
  • NaoyukiTai
    NaoyukiTai Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it's true that there is good and bad sugar, and good fat and bad fat.
    I try to avoid bad sugar and bad fat. I happily eat good sugar and good fat in moderation.

ex. My breakfast was an apple - good sugar, eggs x 2 - protein, bacon x 4 - protein and bit of bad fat, tea with whole milk - good fat.
    This is not much more than a bagel, and one bagel is full of "sugar" (high in glycemic load).
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Neither sugar nor fat are evil.

The end.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That is hilarious!!! I love the low-fat diet pics where he's holding in his stomach in the before pic and obviously sticking it out in the after. Seriously, if you can't make a point without fudging your pics, then how valid is your point??

I also really loved this quote "The conventional wisdom behind the low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet is under attack by those who now believe a low-carb rather than a low-fat diet is best"

Hahaha NEWS FLASH!!! People who believe something attack an opposing view. :laugh:
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nothing is EVIL - however refined sugars are unnecessary. The body needs fats - some vitamins are only fat soluble.
    All in moderation, that's the answer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Neither sugar nor fat are evil.

The end.

Not in the true sense of the word, but we all have our personal demons.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Not true. Your body needs fat to function and *maybe* natural sugars in their natural state (like fruit). Table sugar/granulated sugar is non-essential.

Right, hypoglycemia isn't a real thing nor is it dangerous
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post OP. Glad to see the mainstream media bringing attention to the general non-functionality of the low-fat craze.
  • peachcats
    Options
    fat is evil?
    Damn, I never knew. Here I was thinking your body needed fat to keep it functioning normally. :/
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If loving sugar and fat is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm on a strict ketogenic diet (more for the massive health benefits it's giving me than the weight loss, though that's nice too), so my answer to this is a heck yes. Fat is my primary fuel source.

Small amounts of glucose are necessary for proper brain function (this can be gained from gluconeogenesis, though, so no need for carbs), but overall it is far more damaging than fat -- especially for people who have insulin issues. Sugar completely wrecked my health, fat is fixing it.

I too personally feel that Fat is better than Sugar. I don't believe sugar is evil though. I choose to not consume sugar because it's right for ME. It doesn't mean its right or wrong, it's just what I feel is right for my body at this time.

I have been trying so hard to get these misconceptions out of my head. I think if we all just eat real food and exercise we are doing the best we can for ourselves.
    If you love sugar, have some. If you love fat, have some. Moderation is key.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Is it not a real thing? No snark intended, I'm genuinely interested in this explanation. I was "diagnosed" hypoglycemic as a child, but never really had to do anything to manage it.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    This apple im eating doesn't seem very evil.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Is it not a real thing? No snark intended, I'm genuinely interested in this explanation. I was "diagnosed" hypoglycemic as a child, but never really had to do anything to manage it.
    Sarcasm font needed. :-)

It is a real thing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Did an old woman with a wart wearing a black cape give it to you, though?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Ahem...I am prone to hypoglycemia and went on Atkins, and it ELIMINATED the symptoms. I never felt better, as a matter of fact! Glucose, which IS essential for your body to function and can be made from fat and protein, in addition to being made from carbs, but it's not ONLY made from carbs.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2459915/Could-low-fat-diet-make-EVEN-FATTER-As-experts-question-conventional-wisdom-diets-extraordinary-results-mans-experiment.html

This is really worth taking a look at, especially if you have struggled with conventional dieting for years or perhaps have reached a plateau.

Hope it helps

I was going to read it, but then I saw you're pointing me towards the dailymail and I didn't take the story seriously.

Same here. In fact, this website is so legit that it's blocked on my work computer.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Did an old woman with a wart wearing a black cape give it to you, though?

Wait, are you watching me?!
This discussion has been closed.